Author Topic: Interesting concept: trading down for Sacramento's picks  (Read 5185 times)

Re: Interesting concept: trading down for Sacramento's picks
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
You know who this trade makes sense for?  Portland or Minnesota.  They already have stars but need to upgrade their overall talent.  If one of them got the #3, swapping it for Sac's picks would not be a bad idea.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The talent available at 2 - 4 is better than that at picks 7 and 8. We're more likely to have a shot at a future all-star the closer we are to #1.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't see the continued fascination with draft pick accumulation.  Celtics are past that point now. 

Now is the time to add quality, not quantity from the draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just don't see the continued fascination with draft pick accumulation.  Celtics are past that point now. 

I just don't get it either especially when the talent in the top 4 is better than the 5-11 area. That makes it doubly hard to understand.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I just don't get it either especially when the talent in the top 4 is better than the 5-11 area. That makes it doubly hard to understand.

I've been saying it on here for years.  The "allure of potential", Nick.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The talent available at 2 - 4 is better than that at picks 7 and 8. We're more likely to have a shot at a future all-star the closer we are to #1.
How is Jayson Tatum that much better than Isaac or Bridges as a prospect? 

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I've been saying it on here for years.  The "allure of potential", Nick.
TP Dons...yes you have.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
You know who this trade makes sense for?  Portland or Minnesota.  They already have stars but need to upgrade their overall talent.  If one of them got the #3, swapping it for Sac's picks would not be a bad idea.

Mike
I don't think trading down is a good idea for either of those teams.  They both really need quality defenders so if they get #3 they should take Jackson or if he's not available probably Isaac.  Portland has 3 picks in this draft so they don't need more.  If I'm them, I either package them to move a bit higher or I take a chance on Giles with their pick that will be around #20.  Bridges, Giles and maybe Peters would be a nice haul. 

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Production + measurables + scouting consensus?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I was listening to one of the NBA radio shows on XM radio with Tim Legler and apparently Philly wants Monk badly which kills the theory of trading down to get Monk after Philly picks.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Tatum and Bridges production are very similar.  Isaac's scoring has been more inconsistent but he's not that far behind.  Bridges and Isaac project to be better defenders and are more athletic.  They both actually have better 3pt%.  Bridges is a bit shorter than you ideally want and Isaac will need to add strength/weight.  Bridges has a lot less talent around him and Isaac is playing on a team with a lot of players getting minutes.  They often substitute 4 players at once. 

As far as scouting consensus, I think there is going to be wide variance on teams' draft boards.  I don't think anyone qualifies as a tier 1 prospect yet but there are a lot of tier 2 prospects.   

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I was listening to one of the NBA radio shows on XM radio with Tim Legler and apparently Philly wants Monk badly which kills the theory of trading down to get Monk after Philly picks.

Makes sense. But doesnt mean Danny has to grab Monk

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Tatum and Bridges production are very similar.  Isaac's scoring has been more inconsistent but he's not that far behind.  Bridges and Isaac project to be better defenders and are more athletic.  They both actually have better 3pt%.  Bridges is a bit shorter than you ideally want and Isaac will need to add strength/weight.  Bridges has a lot less talent around him and Isaac is playing on a team with a lot of players getting minutes.  They often substitute 4 players at once. 

As far as scouting consensus, I think there is going to be wide variance on teams' draft boards.  I don't think anyone qualifies as a tier 1 prospect yet but there are a lot of tier 2 prospects.

Fultz has projected higher than Ben Simmons all season long. Ball has run about equal to Simmons' projections. That's two Tier 1 prospects.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't see the point in this type of trade. Now a trade where you get an established player and a later lottery pick for a higher one might make sense. Say Lavine and 8 for 3. Not saying do that but something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip