Author Topic: Smart's Improved Free Throw PCT  (Read 1179 times)

Smart's Improved Free Throw PCT
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
I always thought when a player improves FT% year after a year is a great sign that the player wants to improve their game. Even if 80% FT is his peak, I'd be easily happy with that.

I think this will correlate with his FG% and 3FG%( to an extent)  will soon be improving as well. He's also the type to take end of the quarter half/full court shots that doesn'thelp his 3FG% but shows he'll try even at the expense of his 3FG%.

Re: Smart's Improved Free Throw PCT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The 80% isn't super surprising considering that he shot 77.7% on FTs last year.  It still remains to be seen if that carries over to his 3 point shooting, but given his good shooting from the corners I think it might in the next couple of years (he won't be a 40% shooter, but 37% or 38% isn't out of the question)

And to add one thing about end of quarter shots: according to basketball reference, he has only taken 8, but they said the same thing before the game against Minnesota. He attempted a heave at the end of the 1st quarter of that game, but it didn't register as a heave, so take their numbers with a grain of salt
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I just checked, and Jason Kidd had a similar pattern, shooting under 70% every year up to age 23, and then in the 70s for two years, and then 80% or better nearly every year after that.

Interesting because Kidd is someone who improved his shooting from 3pt range over the course of his career. It lagged the improvement in his FT% but did happen eventually.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Something that's not reflected in his 3FG% is he's forced to shoot at the end of the shot clock.
As he continues to mature, he is making better shot selections. This will also help his 2FG%.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I always thought when a player improves FT% year after a year is a great sign that the player wants to improve their game. Even if 80% FT is his peak, I'd be easily happy with that.

80% is the benchmark of excellence at this level - it's grade-A.

Also of interest is that he's increased his Free Throw Rate each year (FTA/FGA) to a respectable .328 - coming on strong since January.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:52:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I just checked, and Jason Kidd had a similar pattern, shooting under 70% every year up to age 23, and then in the 70s for two years, and then 80% or better nearly every year after that.

Interesting because Kidd is someone who improved his shooting from 3pt range over the course of his career. It lagged the improvement in his FT% but did happen eventually.

A trend some of us hoped Rondo would take but NOOOOO...
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Something that's not reflected in his 3FG% is he's forced to shoot at the end of the shot clock.
As he continues to mature, he is making better shot selections. This will also help his 2FG%.

I agree with this but lots of times he's holding the ball to long and seems to have predetermined that he is going to take the shot. He has become somewhat of a chucker when he's on the floor without IT. IMO he needs to learn his role and that's not "scorer"!

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I agree with this but lots of times he's holding the ball to long and seems to have predetermined that he is going to take the shot. He has become somewhat of a chucker when he's on the floor without IT. IMO he needs to learn his role and that's not "scorer"!

I just wish he really just improves his shot. Even his w pt jumpers and floaters are just bricking right now...his three pt shooting is very streaky. Im hoping we get good Smart in the games we don't have IT.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Smart is the only player on the team who isn't thinking about his shooting percentage.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I agree with dreamgreen--the only thing I have seen is he is making a somewhat higher percentage of bad shots--he still is chucking 3's and driving into multiple defenders way too often.  Until his shot selection improves --until he takes quality shots he will not shoot a quality percentage.  He almost blew the Brooklyn game with that ridiculous drive into three Brooklyn defenders at the end of the game.  He is not ranked 338th in field goal percentage for nothing!
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

I agree with dreamgreen--the only thing I have seen is he is making a somewhat higher percentage of bad shots--he still is chucking 3's and driving into multiple defenders way too often.  Until his shot selection improves--until he takes quality shots he will not shoot a quality percentage.  He almost blew the Brooklyn game with that ridiculous drive into three Brooklyn defenders at the end of the game.  He is not ranked 338th in field goal percentage for nothing!

I totaly agree with you. Only thing I want to add is that he will never have better shot selection or percentage. At least nothing significant.. This is Smart and I hope that Ainge will finaly include him in any trade coming.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I may be wrong, but I would assume one who can improve their FT% generally also means they are starting to improve their shot as well. I say improving your FT is rather important as you can also practice your form