Author Topic: IT starts Twitter war with the father of a young NBA fan over missing a game  (Read 3615 times)

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think the dad is looking for a signed jersey or something. IT can become his dad's hero by doing something like that for the kid which would be the high road approach. He said his piece to the dad now he can make good for the kid. What's the big deal?

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Pretty lousy "Artwork" by his kid---looks more like something the father drew up in 5 minutes with a sharpie at work---just for the photo op.

Are we sure this guy doesn't work for CNN-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
We would have a better world without social media. It was nice for 10 years or so, but this is getting ridiculous.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Everybody is too thin skinned .   

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't think he should apologize for not playing.

He did take a hit and because of who they are playing and what they are trying to accomplish this season, it's understandable why they would sit him.

This is a big difference than what SAS, GSW, CLE do with their stars.

Are you saying those teams deserve criticism for resting players?

All they're trying to do is maximize their chances of winning a championship. I don't see how any fan could have an issue with that.

You could use the same reasoning to say that all stars should play 48 minutes a game. It doesn't make sense.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Including the dad, IT, and the fans.

The only one I feel sympathy for is the kid, and I wonder about that. An IT super fan should have known he was injured, and his dad should have helped him manage expectations.

Frankly, I think this entire story is a guy in the media trying to get some cheap publicity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would like to see some of you guys get personally called out for a sick day (or an injury equivalent if it's possible in your job) and not want to maybe say something back.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
I didn't see IT's tweets as that inflammatory, honestly. I guess I'm too used to the political nastiness on twitter to see this as a "war".

He could have handled it better, but I also see why he felt he was being called out for malingering. A guy tweets at him calling him a "no show". If the dad truly cared, there are better ways he could have handled it, too.

Much Ado About Nothing!
Stop picking on the little  guy!

This was no twitter war. IT was simply standing up  for himself.
Though, it wouldn't hurt to send the kid a jersey and a headband!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!

I am glad I read the article. There is absolutely nothing to see here other than the fact that those teams that rest players for no reason have damaged and will continue to damage the credibility of the league. The last tweet says it all. This is a legitimate issue for the league.

IT is injured he has a legit reason to take time off to heal. The father was disappointed and posted his disappointment. IT explained himself. He does not own anyone an apology. An explanation maybe, certainly not an apology.

It is the folks like Popovich, Kerr, LeBron, that are to blame for this situation. When you 'rest' players that have been used to sell tickets without compelling reasons the fans have a legit right to gripe.

Like I said earlier in the week. Suck it up and play when you are not injured. IT suffered from the bad deeds of his NBA family. Stop cheating the fans by resting healthy players. Stop cheating the fans by that disgrace of a ASG you rolled out last month.

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think the dad is looking for a signed jersey or something.

This is what I though too, especially with the "my son waited all season" line, because the C's had already been in town on 11/23 and 12/25 (against the Knicks), and also on 10/13 and 10/15 (against the Knicks) during the preseason.

Some guy having to plan a trip months in advance because he has to fly halfway across the globe to see LeBron, only to have him sit out that game, ya I might feel sorry for him.

But when IT comes to your city 6x's per year (including preseason), and you act like a once in a lifetime opportunity was ruined because he sat out one of those games... Well I just think the dad was hoping to get some special IT attention (signed jersery, phone call, etc.).  So far it looks like it backfired. 

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How often does anything good ever come from athletes putting their thought on twitter, especially when responding to criticism?

Herm Edwards said it best, "don't press send".

More hoopla is being made of this than needs to be, and IT wasn't really wrong, but seriously, there's a reason they call it TWITter.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think the dad is looking for a signed jersey or something.

This is what I though too, especially with the "my son waited all season" line, because the C's had already been in town on 11/23 and 12/25 (against the Knicks), and also on 10/13 and 10/15 (against the Knicks) during the preseason.

Some guy having to plan a trip months in advance because he has to fly halfway across the globe to see LeBron, only to have him sit out that game, ya I might feel sorry for him.

But when IT comes to your city 6x's per year (including preseason), and you act like a once in a lifetime opportunity was ruined because he sat out one of those games... Well I just think the dad was hoping to get some special IT attention (signed jersery, phone call, etc.).  So far it looks like it backfired.

IT is not wrong here at all. He owes no apology, but your reasoning is off. The kid does not have to buy six tickets betting that he gets to see IT on one of the six. NBA has a problem on their hands caused by Popovich, and its called integrity. Fix it, or lose fans.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I didn't see IT's tweets as that inflammatory, honestly. I guess I'm too used to the political nastiness on twitter to see this as a "war".

He could have handled it better, but I also see why he felt he was being called out for malingering. A guy tweets at him calling him a "no show". If the dad truly cared, there are better ways he could have handled it, too.

Yeah. Thomas could've handled it better, but it was just a defensive but not inflammatory tone, esp since he was accused of resting.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Including the dad, IT, and the fans.

The only one I feel sympathy for is the kid, and I wonder about that. An IT super fan should have known he was injured, and his dad should have helped him manage expectations.

Frankly, I think this entire story is a guy in the media trying to get some cheap publicity.

Its on the dad. It's up to him to explain properly to a kid. Instead he takes it to the public, with the wrong words at that. Its intentional, esp given how he is in the media. Publicity stunt indeed.

On the otherhand, at least the Trade IT Club will induct new members.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't understand the tweets. The father used the account @NoamLaden. The torn sign is a bit inflammatory, but whatever. His son needs to learn to deal with disappointment better and he probably shouldn't broadcast that.

But then @gee_hoag attacks IT by saying "This is a legit issue for this league." That is NOT the dad. That is some other dude. That guy seems to p--- IT off.

Now I don't think anyone should be reacting the way IT is on something public like Twitter, but he is pretty reasonable and seems to have correctly identified the issue. His comments about what the dad should be telling is son are spot on.