Author Topic: IT starts Twitter war with the father of a young NBA fan over missing a game  (Read 3619 times)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/celtics-isaiah-thomas-lashes-disappointed-dad-twitter-article-1.3001413

From the report, and the tweets, I am quite disappointed at IT's lack of maturity. The father tweeted that his son was disappointed that he wouldn't see his favorite player, IT, tonight in Brooklyn. IT instead of showing some class and humility for NBA fans for a reasonable disappointment, goes ahead and attacks the father repeatedly.

I am sure IT is legitimately injured and wouldn't take a night or two off, but that is not the way to respond to a reasonable comment from your fans who were looking forward to seeing you play and who buy the tickets that pay your salary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:36:14 PM by hpantazo »

Re: IT starts Twitter war with the father of a young NBA fan
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/celtics-isaiah-thomas-lashes-disappointed-dad-twitter-article-1.3001413

From the report, and the tweets, I am quite disappointed at IT's lack of maturity. The father tweeted that his son was disappointed that he wouldn't see his favorite player, IT, tonight in Brooklyn. IT instead of showing some class and humility for NBA fans for a reasonable disappointment, goes ahead and attacks the father repeatedly.

I am sure IT is legitimately injured and wouldn't take a night or two off, but that is not the way to respond to a reasonable comment from your fans who were looking forward to seeing you play and who buy the tickets that pay your salary.

Issiah is injured. He's not a no show! If you are just paying money to see one player and not a team you are going to be disappointed sometimes.

Re: IT starts Twitter war with the father of a young NBA fan
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Issiah is injured. He's not a no show! If you are just paying money to see one player and not a team you are going to be disappointed sometimes.

Sure. But there are much better, ,more respectful and classier ways to respond rather than attacking the dad of one of your fans.

For example, he could have said something like: "tell your son nobody is more disappointed that I am missing the game than I am. A big guy fell on my leg last game and I just can't play yet. I hope to be out there next time we come to Brooklyn"

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't see IT's tweets as that inflammatory, honestly. I guess I'm too used to the political nastiness on twitter to see this as a "war".

He could have handled it better, but I also see why he felt he was being called out for malingering. A guy tweets at him calling him a "no show". If the dad truly cared, there are better ways he could have handled it, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't see that anyone should be upset with IT. He was accused of taking nights off like Lebron and others have done and tried to clarify the situation that he is really hurt and taking treatment. Kinda hard to read emotion into tweets and posts on the internet with inflammatory words and IT didn't use any. No biggie to me.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
i know a few people with personalities just like IT4

you try to make them feel guilty, you are getting zero sympathy....actually a potential lashing in return

IT4 should have not respond back via Twitter...

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Also, left out of the article is this tweet:

@gee_hoag @Isaiah_Thomas @BrooklynNets @CharlesBarkIey just yesterday called out all the marque players who skip games and disappoint fans

So, I can see why IT was salty about it. The dad was picking a fight here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Also, left out of the article is this tweet:

@gee_hoag @Isaiah_Thomas @BrooklynNets @CharlesBarkIey just yesterday called out all the marque players who skip games and disappoint fans

So, I can see why IT was salty about it. The dad was picking a fight here.

Father was totally starting something and using his kid to get sympathy. IT is hurt and plays hard whenever he is on the court. What was this father trying to accomplish with this tweet, other than to call IT out? I thought he was the sons favorite player, does he want his dad calling out his favorite player as a "No Show"?

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't think he should apologize for not playing.

He did take a hit and because of who they are playing and what they are trying to accomplish this season, it's understandable why they would sit him.

This is a big difference than what SAS, GSW, CLE do with their stars.
CELTICS 2024

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He did take a hit and because of who they are playing and what they are trying to accomplish this season, it's understandable why they would sit him.

Apologize, no he should not. Respond better, with more understanding and respect to reasonable disappointment from a young fan, definitely. NBA players should have standard PR training imo once they enter the league. That, and standard financial training should both be built in to the CBA by the Players Union.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'm with IT here, was actually thoroughly impressed when all those graphics of us being 1-3 without him started springing up. 1-3? Hadn't realized he had only missed 4 games up until now. Shows that IT's a relentlessly hard worker to take all the physical abuse and score with the kind of volume that he puts up.

I actually think it's a problem or with entitled fans treating NBA games like concerts or theater performances. By going to the game you are participating in an ongoing 82-game season, watching people that frankly should care more about their health and legacy than your entertainment.

Was IT injured? Absolutely. Do I think that both the team in Isaiah agreed to pick the Nets and Philly game to address this injury? Also true.

If you're a fan of a bottom feeder organization nights like this should hardly come as a surprise. Unfortunate for the guy's kid to miss out on his favorite player but if the Nets were an actual legitimate threat to us maybe Isaiah would have been compelled to play.

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
I know fans can be dumb and entitled, but IT needs to rise above it and just not respond. 

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I know fans can be dumb and entitled, but IT needs to rise above it and just not respond.

Yeah, that is pretty much my point.

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
What's the issue here?  IT explained himself.  No attacks or anything.

Come on with this.  This is nothing. 

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Apologize, no he should not. Respond better, with more understanding and respect to reasonable disappointment from a young fan, definitely. NBA players should have standard PR training imo once they enter the league. That, and standard financial training should both be built in to the CBA by the Players Union.

Except he wasn't engaging in anything with the disappointed young fan. Instead, said fan's arrogant father was the guy that got under his skin by accusing him of something he clearly denies. I don't see what he did wrong here.
CELTICS 2024