Author Topic: Video: Why the Celtics are the next Dynasty  (Read 1903 times)

Video: Why the Celtics are the next Dynasty
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Nothing really new here, but this video is from a Lakers fan. He compares the Celtics to when the Lakers drafted James Worthy.

Not sure it's that good, but the video makes you feel good about our future.

https://youtu.be/4MNmxFqeA7U

Re: Video: Why the Celtics are the next Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
It's similar in that sense. I don't think we've drafted a James Worthy level player yet (Brown perhaps?). Good comparison though. I think we're ready to go for it all in 2 years.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Numerous times I've said that never in the history of the NBA has a 50 win team had consecutive top 5 picks. It will be interesting to see what the Celtics build from this but it's an unprecedented opportunity.

That's why I think Danny is so hesitant to go for a "win now" strategy. He could have gone all in to compete with GS or Cleveland this year but I think he realizes that the long term opportunity is greater.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cute video but the comparison goes all to hell when you realize the Celtics are adding the Nets picks to a not real contender with its best players being IT, Horford and Bradley while the Lakers were world champs adding James Worthy to Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob McAdoo, Norm Nixon, Jamal Wilkes and Michael Cooper. Lakers were already on their way to a dynasty. Boston is going to have to trade for or develop a bunch of stars to become a dynasty.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I  don't even think he mentioned the 2018 BK pick, or Free Agency.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Dynasties are, or course, made by great players and currently the C's have none. The thing is though they already have two or three very good ones. IT, Horford and Bradley are all there. If given a choice between Cooper and Bradley who would you take?

When you factor in that we have a chance to sign a max free agent this summer without giving up anything and have a shot at a future all star through the draft as well as doing it again next year and suddenly the 'dynasty' discussion has merit. Sure, it will take luck, good trades, and an excellent free agent but the thing is we have a shot at all of that.

Ainge had done a masterful job of putting this team in a position to compete for years. Now is when his legacy as a GM will be forged. I can't think of a better GM to have right now, in the position that we are in, then Ainge. It's truly a great time to be a Celtic's fan!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I have been waiting a long time for a Laker fan to tell me like it is with my Celtcs. Oh, boy. Then again, I can't blame him for his interest in our team, since their "Process" wannabe has failed so far. He better light up a candle at May 16th.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Dynasties are, or course, made by great players and currently the C's have none. The thing is though they already have two or three very good ones. IT, Horford and Bradley are all there. If given a choice between Cooper and Bradley who would you take?

When you factor in that we have a chance to sign a max free agent this summer without giving up anything and have a shot at a future all star through the draft as well as doing it again next year and suddenly the 'dynasty' discussion has merit. Sure, it will take luck, good trades, and an excellent free agent but the thing is we have a shot at all of that.

Ainge had done a masterful job of putting this team in a position to compete for years. Now is when his legacy as a GM will be forged. I can't think of a better GM to have right now, in the position that we are in, then Ainge. It's truly a great time to be a Celtic's fan!

IT4 says hello.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Cute video but the comparison goes all to hell when you realize the Celtics are adding the Nets picks to a not real contender with its best players being IT, Horford and Bradley while the Lakers were world champs adding James Worthy to Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bob McAdoo, Norm Nixon, Jamal Wilkes and Michael Cooper. Lakers were already on their way to a dynasty. Boston is going to have to trade for or develop a bunch of stars to become a dynasty.

Indeed.

It is a laughable comparison.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Pretty much nails it. The Lakers had two of the top ten players of all-time already in place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The video is definitely a feel good opportunity.

IMO the C's need a stroke of luck too. We haven't been lucky in the draft, Len Bias was a sad disaster, and obviously the loss of the opportunity to draft Tim Duncan. We need a stroke of luck like the drafting of another NBA star like a Paul Pierce.

The ping pong balls haven't exactly fallen our way in the past. We've drafted some good players... but few that look like they'll develop far beyond their draft position. Say like a Draymond Green or Kawhi Leonard. A basketball organization needs that type of break to win a championship.

Keep in mind, just because the Nets finish with the worst record, doesn't mean we're assured of the number 1 pick, those ping pong ball have a mind of their own. (god I hated to say that)

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Let's not forget Red has done it twice. First was with McHale and Parish when he held the #1 pick. Second was the Len Bias trade that was very unfortunate for the sport as whole.

You can't really use the "But that team have Larry Bird" when he just finished his rookie season during the time Red drafted McHale and Parish wasn't even a star before he came to Boston.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:42:53 PM by mr. dee »