Author Topic: Creating shots off the dribble vs System plays  (Read 1473 times)

Re: Creating shots of the dribble vs System plays
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
hmmm? something I've said for a while - either the personnel is wrong or the coach's system doesn't fit.

imo what makes a great coach is a coach that looks at his roster and says "what do these players do well?" and designs the system around the players. it's a whole lot easier for a coach to adjust than players.

every player on this roster is limited offensively. early in the season I started a thread hinting at what the issue with this team was/is and no one really got it. and the real main issue this team has is there's not a single player on the roster that is a threat to drive and actually finish, on the rare occasions that we do drive there's a better than good chance we aren't going to finish. every player on this team takes 2-3 dribbles to the basket and looks to pass. this was highly noticeable early in the season, teams were playing us for the pass. need evidence of this? go back and watch the 1st game against Golden State. the whole stretch leading into that game that's what most of the teams were doing.

I know everyone will read this and say "IT, IT... he drives". and he does but he's limited by his size, teams corral him and take passing lanes away and force him into horrible turnovers. this will be prevalent in the playoffs.

so what we're left with is a buncha guys that take horrible jump shots that are contested most of the time. sometimes we make 'em sometimes we don't, the inconsistency comes from taking bad shots. this will be accentuated in the playoffs.

what it boils down to is we need better players, stevens hands are tied as there really isn't another option to turn to.

The stuff about Isaiah doesn't pass muster out of context.  According to NBA.COM, Isaiah leads the league in drives per game and actually has a lower turnover rate on drives than other top drivers like Westbrook, Harden and Wall.  Isaiah is not only aggressive at going to the hoop, he is also efficient.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
hmmm? something I've said for a while - either the personnel is wrong or the coach's system doesn't fit.

imo what makes a great coach is a coach that looks at his roster and says "what do these players do well?" and designs the system around the players. it's a whole lot easier for a coach to adjust than players.

every player on this roster is limited offensively. early in the season I started a thread hinting at what the issue with this team was/is and no one really Ogaju and some others got it. and the real main issue this team has is there's not a single player on the roster that is a threat to drive and actually finish, on the rare occasions that we do drive there's a better than good chance we aren't going to finish. every player on this team takes 2-3 dribbles to the basket and looks to pass. this was highly noticeable early in the season, teams were playing us for the pass. need evidence of this? go back and watch the 1st game against Golden State. the whole stretch leading into that game that's what most of the teams were doing.

I know everyone will read this and say "IT, IT... he drives". and he does but he's limited by his size, teams corral him and take passing lanes away and force him into horrible turnovers. this will be prevalent in the playoffs.

so what we're left with is a buncha guys that take horrible jump shots that are contested most of the time. sometimes we make 'em sometimes we don't, the inconsistency comes from taking bad shots. this will be accentuated in the playoffs.

what it boils down to is we need better players, stevens hands are tied as there really isn't another option to turn to.

There fixed it for you.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

every player on this roster is limited offensively. early in the season I started a thread hinting at what the issue with this team was/is and no one really got it. and the real main issue this team has is there's not a single player on the roster that is a threat to drive and actually finish, on the rare occasions that we do drive there's a better than good chance we aren't going to finish. every player on this team takes 2-3 dribbles to the basket and looks to pass. this was highly noticeable early in the season, teams were playing us for the pass. need evidence of this? go back and watch the 1st game against Golden State. the whole stretch leading into that game that's what most of the teams were doing.

The stuff about Isaiah doesn't pass muster out of context.  According to NBA.COM, Isaiah leads the league in drives per game and actually has a lower turnover rate on drives than other top drivers like Westbrook, Harden and Wall.  Isaiah is not only aggressive at going to the hoop, he is also efficient.

we'll see in the playoffs how that holds up. one thing about stats like this, sure on average it might show that he is better than what I stated but it doesn't show who he had his bad games against. if I were to guess it'd probably be against the teams that matter like teams we might face in the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

we'll see in the playoffs how that holds up. one thing about stats like this, sure on average it might show that he is better than what I stated but it doesn't show who he had his bad games against. if I were to guess it'd probably be against the teams that matter like teams we might face in the playoffs.

We'll see what happens.  The fact remains that so far this season, Isaiah Thomas has clearly been a top five offensive player in the league.  I expect him to be good in the playoffs as well, but if some teammates don't step up and provide more offensive support, the Celtics will be in trouble.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson