Author Topic: Bill Simmons thinks if we get Fultz, come 2018 Thomas doesn't get resigned  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Simmons writes columns, sometimes about sports, and makes $3M a year doing it.
His only redeeming value is he's a Celtics fan. I emphasize fan.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
So much vitriol for Simmons, but he's right. Celtics should have reservations about the potential of paying a 5'7" guard who relies on speed $45m at age 34. Drafting Fultz or Ball simply quickens the process.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
funny guy but clueless re NBA.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Clearly you know nothing about Simmons, he has one of the best basketball minds in journalism today. I'd suggest reading his book of basketball, your opinion will probably do a 180.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Simmons writes columns, sometimes about sports, and makes $3M a year doing it.
His only redeeming value is he's a Celtics fan. I emphasize fan.

This earned you a TP .   Spot on.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Clearly you know nothing about Simmons, he has one of the best basketball minds in journalism today. I'd suggest reading his book of basketball, your opinion will probably do a 180.

He wrote a book about basketball. Whoop dee doo.

The guy has some of the dumbest trade ideas, little knowledge about how the game is played and is a casual fan with a pen.

Just because you know about the history of basketball doesn't mean you understand how the game works.

The guy is clueless.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I agree with him that how this team plays in the playoffs will largely determine ITs next deal.  Hard to argue he is worth the max if they cannot get out of the second round.

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

The guy has some of the dumbest trade ideas, little knowledge about how the game is played and is a casual fan with a pen.

Just because you know about the history of basketball doesn't mean you understand how the game works.

The guy is clueless.

Well some will argue that signing a 5'7" aging PG to a max deal after you drafted the next potential NBA superstar in the same position is clueless.
Let's draft Fultz and have him ride the pine for 6 years because we're stuck with a 5 year max Thomas deal.
Simmons, like myself, believes the future of this team is Ball/Fultz, Jaylen, Smart and whatever the 2018 Brooklyn pick might bring. Not first or second round losses for the next 6 years led by IT.. if it even lasts that long.
But wait we can just trade IT once he starts to decline! I'm sure teams will be lining up to trade for a guy whose lost a step and doesn't play D that still has 3 years left at 30 mil a season!
Maybe clueless Simmons has analysis behind his opinion that supports the theory that no player in NBA history at Thomas's size has ever been productive past his 30's.

Say what you will but signing Thomas to a max IF we are fortunate enough to draft Fultz is a dumb decision.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

The guy is clueless.

Well some will argue that signing a 5'7" aging PG to a max deal after you drafted the next potential NBA superstar in the same position is clueless.
Let's draft Fultz and have him ride the pine for 6 years because we're stuck with a 5 year max Thomas deal.
Simmons, like myself, believes the future of this team is Ball/Fultz, Jaylen, Smart and whatever the 2018 Brooklyn pick might bring. Not first or second round losses for the next 6 years led by IT.. if it even lasts that long.
But wait we can just trade IT once he starts to decline! I'm sure teams will be lining up to trade for a guy whose lost a step and doesn't play D that still has 3 years left at 30 mil a season!
Maybe clueless Simmons has analysis behind his opinion that supports the theory that no player in NBA history at Thomas's size has ever been productive past his 30's.

Say what you will but signing Thomas to a max IF we are fortunate enough to draft Fultz is a dumb decision.

Yes, and some will argue that letting the second leading scorer in the NBA walk because you drafted a guy who also plays guard would be a catastrophic mistake.

IT and Fultz can play together. There is no reason that Fultz can't play shooting guard in the NBA at 6'4" with a 6'10" wingspan.

Even if they somehow couldn't play together, Isaiah Thomas will still be very tradeable on a max contract. A team like the Pelicans would kill to have him over there with Cousins and AD. Letting him walk for nothing would quite possible be a terrible mistake.

Just because Bill Simmons thinks something should happen, doesn't mean he's right.
He's very funny at time, but the guy is a fan with a pen. The majority of knowledgeable posters on Celticsblog know more about the NBA than this guy.

Bill Simmons appeals to quasi serious fans who don't obsess over the Celtics like most hardcore Celticsbloggers ie the guys that comment on the end of an ESPN article that you read and shake your head. It's great that he knows the history of basketball and it's great he's a C's fan. He's just pretty much clueless regarding the Boston Celtics in 2017.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Simmons has a point. It is hard to see IT and Fultz co-existing long term, even less likely if we draft Ball.

This will become moot when we draft Jackson (my fav) or Tatum.

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Love what IT brings to the table as a Celtic.

Several  points

Age  has to be a factor in any contract. Sorry he ain't Paul Pierce or KG

Why not let the market set his value?

How well does he do outside Brads system?

How much more of a defensive liability does he become going forward?

Talent and loyalty issues aside he aint a max player, he's  a scorer.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It is pretty clear that ITs next contract will be a problem if we draft Fultz or Ball. For roughly the first half, it will be great to have IT. For the last half, I think we have to assume Fultz or Ball will be capable of running a good team. IT will be in the way unless he is willing to be a bench sparkplug, and that will be very expensive.

If he's still an explosive scorer, we may be able to get out of his contract, but not get too much in return. If a 32 year old Isaiah has lost a step and can't blow by people any more, it might be very difficult.

I think games like last night scare Celtics fans, but there is a pretty clear reason we struggle so much without IT. Marcus and Rozier both occasionally have competent offensive games, but over time, it is pretty clear they are terrible offensive players. It makes it harder because both guys are so good at defense and rebounding.

Both players were horrendous last night against the league's weakest team. We need another competent offensive point guard besides Isaiah.

To me, if the team gets a Fultz or Ball, that problem disappears. it is Marcus and Rozier who need to go.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't know what's going to happen with IT and I'm not sure what should.  I think it@s a sure bet, however, that Ainge is not good to just let him walk.  At minimum, he could trade IT nest season to somebody like New Orleans and get SOMETHING for him.

A big factor will be if we sign another max/near max free agent this offseason.  If we do, the luxury tax is going to become a real issue.

Mike

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
IT and Fultz can indeed co-exist. However, we will have to forfeit our ability to sign a Max FA this summer. I think that's the case if we plan to keep two of IT/AB/Smart. One of those will have to be replaced by Fultz if Crowder and Jaylen will be manning Forward duties.

Maybe if Fultz replaces AB we can still sign somebody.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I agree with Simmons.
If we draft Fultz, our money is better spent elsewhere.