Author Topic: Celtics (43-25) at Nets (13-54) Game #69 3/17/17  (Read 22994 times)

Re: Celtics (43-25) at Nets (12-54) Game #69 3/17/17
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Trap game, especially since IT is not playing.  Can't take them lightly at all.
Cripes. Doesnt some one always post this sentiment each and every game the Celtics play against a poorer opponent?

The Celtics will win. My prediction.
Boy, really going out on a limb there, hwangjini.   ;D

Remarkable that grampa Foye is still in this league.  Remember that 2006 draft?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2006.html

Re: Celtics (43-25) at Nets (13-54) Game #69 3/17/17
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I feel good about this one. I feel the trap game is Philly. Go Celts!

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Avery MUST guard Jeremy Lin or we'll lose...I've been saying that he's the best player on the nets and they've won 4 games since his return....also for next year's pick we should hipe hat Jeremy leaves Brooklyn

Love hipe hats.

No way they trade him though. When they trade away Brook this summer they will only have 43 million in guaranteed salary for next year.
He's really the best player on their team. I'd like them to trade Lin before moving Lopez (nets with lopez isn't as good as nets with Lin)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Sneaky important game tonight in terms of both our playoff seeding and draft position.

This would be a nice one for Jaylen to go off in so those Nets fans what they're missing. Overall I think we guard the 3-point line well enough to get this done even without Isaiah.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Avery MUST guard Jeremy Lin or we'll lose...I've been saying that he's the best player on the nets and they've won 4 games since his return....also for next year's pick we should hipe hat Jeremy leaves Brooklyn

Love hipe hats.

No way they trade him though. When they trade away Brook this summer they will only have 43 million in guaranteed salary for next year.
He's really the best player on their team. I'd like them to trade Lin before moving Lopez (nets with lopez isn't as good as nets with Lin)

Is that really true, though? There's no doubt that the Nets with Lopez and no Lin are an awful team, but there's nothing to suggest that a Brooklyn team with Lin but without Lopez is any better.  Lopez has missed 6 games this season and they're 0-6 in those games (that sample size is too small to draw any definite conclusions from regarding Lopez' value, though, especially since all 6 games were against playoff teams), so it's not as if there are wins to point to to say that they are good without him.  If they shut Lopez down in April again (assuming Lin stays healthy) we might be able to get a decent sample size to see if Nets with Lin but no Lopez is better than Nets with Lopez but no Lin, but until then there's nothing to suggest that Lin is more important to winning than Lopez (all we can see is that Lopez isn't enough)

If Brooklyn gets rid of either Lin or Lopez next year, they should be truly awful yet again.  Even if they keep both (barring any big additions) they should be an awful team.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Love hipe hats.

Is that really true, though? There's no doubt that the Nets with Lopez and no Lin are an awful team, but there's nothing to suggest that a Brooklyn team with Lin but without Lopez is any better.  Lopez has missed 6 games this season and they're 0-6 in those games (that sample size is too small to draw any definite conclusions from regarding Lopez' value, though, especially since all 6 games were against playoff teams), so it's not as if there are wins to point to to say that they are good without him.  If they shut Lopez down in April again (assuming Lin stays healthy) we might be able to get a decent sample size to see if Nets with Lin but no Lopez is better than Nets with Lopez but no Lin, but until then there's nothing to suggest that Lin is more important to winning than Lopez (all we can see is that Lopez isn't enough)

If Brooklyn gets rid of either Lin or Lopez next year, they should be truly awful yet again.  Even if they keep both (barring any big additions) they should be an awful team.
Gpod points. However Lin plays the best when the center doesn't clog up the paint (which Lopez exactly does). Iirc Lin really gets running when the coach gives him a run and gun style of offense and the center is usually Justin Hamilton rather than Lopez (not saying Lopez is bad and affects the team but I think Lin wouldn't be affected as much without him than the other way round in terms of wins).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sneaky important game tonight in terms of both our playoff seeding and draft position.

This would be a nice one for Jaylen to go off in so those Nets fans what they're missing. Overall I think we guard the 3-point line well enough to get this done even without Isaiah.
Yes it is important, also for consistency.  They need to continue the trend of consistently beating marginal teams (Bulls, Lakers, Wolves), and sometimes beating elite teams (Warriors, Cavs).

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Love hipe hats.

Gpod points. However Lin plays the best when the center doesn't clog up the paint (which Lopez exactly does). Iirc Lin really gets running when the coach gives him a run and gun style of offense and the center is usually Justin Hamilton rather than Lopez (not saying Lopez is bad and affects the team but I think Lin wouldn't be affected as much without him than the other way round in terms of wins).

Fair enough.  Lopez has worked on his outside shooting this year, though (now hitting 1.8 per game on 35.0% shooting, as opposed to his 3/31 3 point shooting in his CAREER before this year), so he shouldn't really be clogging the paint (although he does spend a fair amount of time inside - hardly surprising for a good post scorer).  A good drive-and-dish point guard is a huge asset in a pace-and-space team like the Nets, though

I think everyone can agree that the best case scenario for our pick next year is the Nets trading both Lopez and Lin (who isn't as valuable an asset, but is only making $12 million next year, so good teams should be interested) for future (2018 draft or later) picks and contracts of useless players
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It would be embarrassing to loose this game. Everybody beats the Nets...Lin or not. We're a playoff team right? Playoff teams win the games they should win.

So why do I not feel good about this game?

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
It would be embarrassing to loose this game. Everybody beats the Nets...Lin or not. We're a playoff team right? Playoff teams win the games they should win.

You don't feel good because our scorer is out and someone needs to replace 29 points per game but it will be okay.

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

You don't feel good because our scorer is out and someone needs to replace 29 points per game but it will be okay.
The Celtics won't necessarily have to replace 29 points per game.  If they clamp down on defense, which they are perfectly capable of,  then they can win without scoring as much.

CSN posted the statistic that the Celtics are +10.2 with Isaiah in the starting lineup,  but they are +14.4 with Marcus in the starting lineup.  It's not his scoring that makes the difference.  It's his defense. 

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

The Celtics won't necessarily have to replace 29 points per game.  If they clamp down on defense, which they are perfectly capable of,  then they can win without scoring as much.

CSN posted the statistic that the Celtics are +10.2 with Isaiah in the starting lineup,  but they are +14.4 with Marcus in the starting lineup.  It's not his scoring that makes the difference.  It's his defense.

I agree with you and the stats about the defense. I am not worried about tonight which is why I said it would be okay. I am usually a little worried about potential trap games but not tonight. I think Marcus & Jaylen will both have a big night and we will be enjoying popcorn at halftime!!  :laugh:

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Not embarrassing. Strategically dumb. Need to go for jugular.

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Cripes. Doesnt some one always post this sentiment each and every game the Celtics play against a poorer opponent?

He lives on the edge.   :D

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Remarkable that grampa Foye is still in this league.  Remember that 2006 draft?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2006.html
ha, ha, ha. a tp for you surferdad. yep, i am known for my daring and bravado. no gamble is too risky for me!!!!! indeed, i also predict that the celtics will score more points tonight than the nets!

book it!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva