Author Topic: Smart/Brown exchange  (Read 13630 times)

Smart/Brown exchange
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
http://www.csnne.com/video/marcus-smart-and-jaylen-brown-exchange-words-celtics-bench

Smart is the guard I can see traded this summer for that big or superstar we all desire.  Getting tired of his antics.  The incident last month when he lost it with the coaching staff was so out of hand they had to send him to the locker room. Brown has been a model citizen since he arrived in Boston and the kid has made huge strides.  If I had to pick one of them to go in a big trade,  it would be no contest.  Bye Bye Marcus.  Always liked his grit and hustle but Brown seems to have much more of a level head and way more upside as a player.  I cringe every time Marcus chucks up one of his 3 point bricks and I think he is a ticking time bomb down the road. 

Re: Smart/Brown exchange
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Marcus is a tough, competitive guy. He lets his feelings talk, just like Draymond Green did with KD earlier this year. Both were "right" about the argument, from what I can see.

Now, he might be going a bit hard on the Rookie. Rookies make mistakes. I guess Jaylen saw an opportunity to drive to the basket and took it instead of runing the play. C's were up 13 with 7 min left to play, maybe he thought the deal was sealed.

Anyway, I don't think there is anything big behind that. Marcus could have gone softer, he didn't... meh.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If there was video every single time two teammates had words on the bench, it's all we'd ever watch. Without knowing the context of the exchange, it's premature to place the blame squarely on one player and then label that player a ticking time bomb.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No problem with players holding each other accountable, as long as it's done the right way.  Hard to tell from a distance if the feedback worked or if created a longer term problem.  2nd guessers will have their day, though.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:15 PM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett
Marcus is not our leader and who is he to be talking smack to Jaylen.  Did not like him pointing his finger in Brown's face.  When he gets his 3 point shooting up past 27% maybe he can talk.  I think the kid has issues and we are only seeing the beginning. The rookie is just getting it and does not need that kind of treatment right now.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »

Offline fingerlakes

• Oshae Brissett

If there was video every single time two teammates had words on the bench, it's all we'd ever watch. Without knowing the context of the exchange, it's premature to place the blame squarely on one player and then label that player a ticking time bomb.

Did you see the episode last month with the coaches when he completely lost it on the bench??

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Two things.  If you think Marcus will be the centerpiece in a trad for a star you're sorely mistaken.  He doesn't have that kind of value.  Second, the majority of the fan base will invariably come to the defense of the player whom they think is the better prospect moving forward regardless of any other facts.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They had words last game as well.
Slightly worrisome to me. I think they are both smart enough to let the coaches look over what happened and sit them down and tell them who's right/who's wrong in this situation and accept it.

I think Marcus is in the wrong here though, he obviously didn't see the screen set by Jonas.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ho hum...No big deal. Move on.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Marcus is not our leader.

He's not but who is? Is it IT? Didn't he just flak all over this board for his comments after the Clippers.

Is it Jae? Didn't he also get crap for sulking and arguing with fans after they applauded Gordon Hayward?

Or is it Al? Is a guy deemed by several posters unworthy of his max deal because #stats worthy of being deemed a leader?

My point is, stop holding these players on a pedestal. Guys are going to have emotional moments. We won't like it all the time. We have no idea what was said here, we have no idea how it was handled afterwards in the locker room between the players themselves or the coaching staff. Put your pitchforks away, at least until we have something credible.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
where is CBS in all of this crap??  seriously?

There has to be rules about these situations , starting with the coach

CBS = yes run the play but if you see an open lane,  open shot.... go for it

not "why don't you wait for the play".... 

Is Smart serious, that robotic?

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I watched a couple practice videos of Marcus and Jaylen. I get the feeling Marcus considers
himself a "basketball mentor" to Jaylen. Meaning he really cares about his progress, that's
why he so hard on him. Maybe I'm wrong, its just a hunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aleQNlS7WyM&t=127s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD56TkOwFA

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Unless it becomes a personal issue that bleeds onto the floor (like Rondo freezing out Ray at times), it falls into the no big deal category. Brown can handle it. If we see JB crying on the bench, though, watch out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
where is CBS in all of this crap??  seriously?

Handling it behind the scenes, most likely, like he should and consistent with what we know about his style.