Poll

IT, Smart, Bradley. Who Stays After 2018?

Just IT
0 (0%)
Just Smart
9 (11.5%)
Just Bradley
0 (0%)
IT + Smart
16 (20.5%)
IT + Bradley
9 (11.5%)
Bradley + Smart
20 (25.6%)
All Three Stay
22 (28.2%)
None Of Them Stay
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Bradley Is Making "Decision 2018" Difficult  (Read 7942 times)

Re: Bradley Is Making This Difficult
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
AB is improving every year, he is probably a starter caliber player for most teams in the nba, he is playing near all star level and is a two-way shooting guard.
What we have here is a 6'3 first team all-defense guard that's averaging 17ppg and 6rpg(!) in just 33 mpg while shooting 42% from three. Boston Celtics fans think he's "probably starting caliber".  ::) ::) ::)

File together with "bring Isaiah Thomas off the bench".

TP.  Nail on the head. 

AB doesn't have a high enough NBA 2K rating and thus is only a fringe starter.
Starting caliber for most teams could just as easily mean that he would start for most teams. Meaning he is better than most starting shooting gaurds.

The posters next sentence reads: playing near all star level

As 10 guards made the all-star game(only 2 of which are classified as shooting gaurds) it is not unreasonable at all to take the posters meaning as Avery Bradley is around the 5th or so best shooting gaurds in the league and thus would be starting caliber for most teams.

Lets not jump all over vgulab for this one quite yet.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
AB is improving every year, he is probably a starter caliber player for most teams in the nba, he is playing near all star level and is a two-way shooting guard.
What we have here is a 6'3 first team all-defense guard that's averaging 17ppg and 6rpg(!) in just 33 mpg while shooting 42% from three. Boston Celtics fans think he's "probably starting caliber".  ::) ::) ::)

TP.  Nail on the head. 

except he said he was an all star level and two-way shooting guard.  Sometimes it helps if you actually read the post you are criticizing.  Might actually save some time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bradley Is Making "Decision 2018" Difficult
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
And here is the thing, Boston isn't going to be able to keep everyone.  It just doesn't make sound financial sense and that is without adding anyone major this summer.  If Boston adds a top tier free agent this summer, then multiple current players won't be on the team long term.  It just isn't going to happen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think this is a decision best left until we know who the Celtics get in the draft and what kind of trade deals are on the table this summer. The answer will wind up being that same as always. Take the best deal available. If the team can get better by shipping out any one of them and that's the best offer out there, then they're gone.

I will admit, though, I have a bias for keeping players drafted by the C's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To clarify, when I say in the post that "Bradley is odd man out", I don't mean the C's just let him walk away, I mean they possibly trade him for some front court help.

We may not be able to keep Olynyk after this season either.

I'm assuming we sign Hayward or a max/near Max FA, AND draft Fultz/Jackson.

I hope the Celtics don't keep Olynyk.

He's inconsistent a lot. Awful against bad teams (ex. Suns game), but ELITE against elite teams (ex. Cavs and Warriors games).

Thing is, the C's with a max signing stand to lose all of Olynyk/Mickey/Jerebko/Amir/Zeller.

Yeah, Zizic is coming, but no guarantee Yabu is playing for the Celtics next season.

You have Horford, Zizic, then who?

Maybe they keep Amir using the MLE (~8.5M)
You can't use cap space and the MLE in the same year. If you have cap space, you use it to sign pkayers. If you are over the cap, you can use the MLE. But you can't sign players using cap space and then once close or over the cap use the MLE.

The Celtics can use the room exception in the same year as cap space, however, thats a lot less money.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
If we sign Hayward and draft Fultz/Ball I think both AB and Olynyk will be outta here. Just not enough cash in the kitty to keep paying those guys what they will be worth on the open market. Could also lose Zeller/Amir etc. That's the downside to drafting a billion guys who all basically play the same position, eventually you have to make these tough decisions...

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Good to see all of them staying leading. All 3 are important in our future. It'll be expensive but worth it to keep them all

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If we sign Hayward and draft Fultz/Ball I think both AB and Olynyk will be outta here. Just not enough cash in the kitty to keep paying those guys what they will be worth on the open market. Could also lose Zeller/Amir etc. That's the downside to drafting a billion guys who all basically play the same position, eventually you have to make these tough decisions...
I think if we sign Hayward we are more likely to sign Olynyk, not less.   Kelly would be the only real option we have for a quality 3rd big and we have his RFA rights so we can match an offer or go over the cap to re-sign him on a long-term deal.

I agree that some one or more of AB/Smart/Rozier would be moved if we sign Hayward and draft Fultz/Ball though.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

TP.  Nail on the head. 

except he said he was an all star level and two-way shooting guard.  Sometimes it helps if you actually read the post you are criticizing.  Might actually save some time.

"probably starter caliber on most teams" and "all-star level" are mutually exclusive.  if he is playing like an All-Star he is a starter on every team in the NBA

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think if we sign Hayward we are more likely to sign Olynyk, not less.   Kelly would be the only real option we have for a quality 3rd big and we have his RFA rights so we can match an offer or go over the cap to re-sign him on a long-term deal.

I agree that some one or more of AB/Smart/Rozier would be moved if we sign Hayward and draft Fultz/Ball though.

We would have to renounce Kelly's RFA rights because his cap hold gets in the way of the max cap space.  So I don't think there is any way to retain Kelly if no other moves are made to sign Hayward.  Maybe we could trade someone like Crowder then to give us more wiggle room especially considering he plays the same position as Hayward.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

TP.  Nail on the head. 

"probably starter caliber on most teams" and "all-star level" are mutually exclusive.  if he is playing like an All-Star he is a starter on every team in the NBA
nah. They really arent. Plus he said "close to all-star level" meaning not as good.

He wouldnt start for Golden State or Toronto. IDK if he starts for Portland, he might not start for Washington.

Starting for between 26 and 28 teams qualifies as "most" in my book.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
To clarify, when I say in the post that "Bradley is odd man out", I don't mean the C's just let him walk away, I mean they possibly trade him for some front court help.

We may not be able to keep Olynyk after this season either.

I'm assuming we sign Hayward or a max/near Max FA, AND draft Fultz/Jackson.

I hope the Celtics don't keep Olynyk.

He's inconsistent a lot. Awful against bad teams (ex. Suns game), but ELITE against elite teams (ex. Cavs and Warriors games).

Thing is, the C's with a max signing stand to lose all of Olynyk/Mickey/Jerebko/Amir/Zeller.

Yeah, Zizic is coming, but no guarantee Yabu is playing for the Celtics next season.

You have Horford, Zizic, then who?

Maybe they keep Amir using the MLE (~8.5M)
I dont know if you are trying to imply this, but Kelly isnt some guy who shows up against big teams but not against bad teams. He shows up pretty randomly. Sometimes he is really good sometimes he sucks. You absolutely cant count on him to show up just because you are playing an "elite" team.

I guess. I mean honestly he can show up one day, not show up another.

Unfortunately it just feels like he shows up only once every 4 games..
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Good to see all of them staying leading. All 3 are important in our future. It'll be expensive but worth it to keep them all

So you're fine with no max signing in the future?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This is an interesting topic. Mike Gorman actually talked about this a few weeks ago. He said the Celtics may have to chose down the road, and if he had to make a choice, no knock against him, but he would move IT and keep Smart and Bradley. He thinks they would be a more diverse, two way force as a backcourt.

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

TP.  Nail on the head. 

The guy already explained what he meant stop piling on.