Poll

IT, Smart, Bradley. Who Stays After 2018?

Just IT
0 (0%)
Just Smart
9 (11.5%)
Just Bradley
0 (0%)
IT + Smart
16 (20.5%)
IT + Bradley
9 (11.5%)
Bradley + Smart
20 (25.6%)
All Three Stay
22 (28.2%)
None Of Them Stay
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Bradley Is Making "Decision 2018" Difficult  (Read 7935 times)

Bradley Is Making "Decision 2018" Difficult
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So as we all know, IT, MS and AB hit Free Agency in the summer of 2018, with Smart being a RFA.

I've made it known, especially during the stretch where the C's were winning a lot of games when AB was injured, that I would keep Smart (makes winning plays) and IT (legit star scorer), while Bradley is the "odd man out" maybe in a trade for another great player (front court help?).

But he's come back and been exceptional. Averaging around 19-20 a game and 6-7 rebounds a game, and his defense on the likes of Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry/Klay Thompson has been phenomenal.

I think the C's will go past the luxury tax to field a contender, but the question is how far into it they will go. Highly doubt they keep all three, so it's a conundrum.

Smart will probably be cheaper (definitely not a max-candidate). Like him or not, even with some defensive deficiencies, IT is a legit scorer and we don't have another one on the team. We saw how bad this team was in the stretch when IT was injured (they were something like 1-4 or 1-5 with the only win coming against a trashy Magic team). Without IT our offense takes a colossal hit especially against above .500 teams.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:10:33 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Bradley Is Making This Difficult
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This is why trying to build longterm through the draft while being competitive longterm may not be sustainable. If we add pieces this offseason like Hayward and another impact player (Wyc says we're 2 stars away), then the decision to pony up and retain the IT/AB/Smart trio is a no-brainer. But if next season we're still only regular season champs who can't make any real noise in the playoffs, it doesn't make sense to spend that money.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I wouldn't say he is the odd man out. AB is improving every year, he is probably a starter caliber player for most teams in the nba, he is playing near all star level and is a two-way shooting guard.

Smart is not really a SG we saw that, he is PG. And everyone likes Smart, he is shooting poorly but everyone likes him because he does the little things and helps the team get wins. Because at the end it's about wins not stats.

IT is superstar yes. But he is the guy who will ask for 150/5 contract. As much as i like him, in my head he is the odd man out. Because DA will not trade the picks. He will continue to build the team, and Horford and IT are just here for the transition period. I believe IT will be gone in 2018 and Horford expiring contract in 2019 will be traded. The future will be Fultz, Brown, Smart, 18 Nets pick.... I don't believe DA will try to win now because not IT and not Horford are good enough to be best players on a championship team.

If DA choose to try to win now than IT stays and probably Smart or Bradley will go.

I voted Bradley and Smart because i think IT won't get 150/5 deal by DA and the team won't go that direction, also i assume that Smart and Bradley will get resonable contracts. Smart around 12-14 mil and Bradley 17-18 mil. 

Re: Bradley Is Making "Decision 2018" Difficult
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Are we assuming no major trades or free agent signings? If that's the case, then I say we keep all three. They all offer something different (and important!) to the team and Danny isn't one to let good players walk for nothing.

If we draft Fultz/Ball and/or sign Hayward, then things could change. I would have to see what offers are on the table for all three players. Also, I think we all assume that IT will be paid more than Bradley who will be paid more than Smart - is this absolutely the case?

There are a lot of variables here in regards to the draft and trades, but I think this roster could very possibly remain somewhat stable.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
For in the know, AB, was having a career year prior to the injury. 

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
AB is improving every year, he is probably a starter caliber player for most teams in the nba, he is playing near all star level and is a two-way shooting guard.
What we have here is a 6'3 first team all-defense guard that's averaging 17ppg and 6rpg(!) in just 33 mpg while shooting 42% from three. Boston Celtics fans think he's "probably starting caliber".  ::) ::) ::)

File together with "bring Isaiah Thomas off the bench".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
AB is improving every year, he is probably a starter caliber player for most teams in the nba, he is playing near all star level and is a two-way shooting guard.
What we have here is a 6'3 first team all-defense guard that's averaging 17ppg and 6rpg(!) in just 33 mpg while shooting 42% from three. Boston Celtics fans think he's "probably starting caliber".  ::) ::) ::)

I was trying to give high praise to AB. Maybe my english is not perfect because it's not my natural language, but i was trying to say that he is great, also my favourite player on the roster now. Most people think that he is the odd men out but i actually was trying to say the opposite, that he SHOULD be signed and apreciated

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
By 2018 I think the decision will already be made.

If we draft Fultz it's more likely Bradley is dealt. If we draft a wing I think Bradley makes more sense.

If we sign Hayward in July I think we will deal AB for a big or deal him to clear space so that we can sign Hayward without giving up Olynyk.

If we can't sign a max guy in July then I think you see the Celtics work to extend Bradley, IT and Smart.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
To clarify, when I say in the post that "Bradley is odd man out", I don't mean the C's just let him walk away, I mean they possibly trade him for some front court help.

We may not be able to keep Olynyk after this season either.

I'm assuming we sign Hayward or a max/near Max FA, AND draft Fultz/Jackson.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The thing that concerns me is that the C's are 5 points better with Smart on the floor compared to Bradley. Bradley's net +/- is -2, and Smart's is +3.

If it weren't for that, I'd have no hesitation in saying we should pick AB over Smart, for all the reasons people list above.

I suppose there's hope that we might keep both, if Bradley's market doesn't pan out and we strike out in FA. We could re-sign him.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
To clarify, when I say in the post that "Bradley is odd man out", I don't mean the C's just let him walk away, I mean they possibly trade him for some front court help.

I hope the Celtics don't keep Olynyk.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He's inconsistent a lot. Awful against bad teams (ex. Suns game), but ELITE against elite teams (ex. Cavs and Warriors games).

Thing is, the C's with a max signing stand to lose all of Olynyk/Mickey/Jerebko/Amir/Zeller.

Yeah, Zizic is coming, but no guarantee Yabu is playing for the Celtics next season.

You have Horford, Zizic, then who?

Maybe they keep Amir using the MLE (~8.5M)

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He's inconsistent a lot. Awful against bad teams (ex. Suns game), but ELITE against elite teams (ex. Cavs and Warriors games).

Thing is, the C's with a max signing stand to lose all of Olynyk/Mickey/Jerebko/Amir/Zeller.

Yeah, Zizic is coming, but no guarantee Yabu is playing for the Celtics next season.

Yeah the C's are going to have limited avenues to add bigs in the offseason. Olynyk is almost assuredly better than the player that would probably replace him at the cost of his cap hold/MLE or vet min contract.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I dont know if you are trying to imply this, but Kelly isnt some guy who shows up against big teams but not against bad teams. He shows up pretty randomly. Sometimes he is really good sometimes he sucks. You absolutely cant count on him to show up just because you are playing an "elite" team.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

TP.  Nail on the head. 

AB doesn't have a high enough NBA 2K rating and thus is only a fringe starter.