Author Topic: Andrew Wiggins  (Read 3664 times)

Andrew Wiggins
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Wiggins could be a transcendent talent - but boy, he is LAZY. Doesn't move without the ball, only occasionally plays defense. Or at least that's how it seemed last night. Can't say enough about how good he could be.

Re: Andrew Wiggins
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Wiggins is a souped up Jeff Green without....

Ah, I'm just making this up.

Because this is literally what you're going to see in the next few days lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
All I heard before Wiggins was drafted is that he had no motor, but I don't see it. His offense is way ahead of what it was made out to be coming into the draft. Yes, he can improve in other areas - he just turned 22 and he's got Thibs as his coach. He can and will continue to improve.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Wiggins could be a transcendent talent - but boy, he is LAZY. Doesn't move without the ball, only occasionally plays defense. Or at least that's how it seemed last night. Can't say enough about how good he could be.

The crazy part is this is the most aware & active I have ever seen him.  I went to law school at KU (2011), and after graduating had season tickets for the 13-14 season.  Probably went to maybe 10 games.  It is honestly hard to describe how often I would forget he was even on the team.  He scored 17 ppg which is a lot (I think top 5 in the Self-era), but it was just such a quiet 17 points because he was so inactive in other aspects and would disappear for long stretches.  Polar opposite of the Morris Twins who would score less, but were always noticeable, impactful, and left their stamp on the game.  It was truly bizarre.  The Jeff Green analogies don't even go far enough from how I remember his time at Kansas.  I was kind of wondering if this year he finally figured it out, guess time will tell.  He actually had a couple nice assists last night that surprised me. 

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
I love the way he plays - when he plays. He is so silky smooth with the ball.

But other times, he looks like a man who just woke up from a nap: he's got bedhead, needs to shave, and stands around with his hands on his hips like he's waiting for his toaster strudel to finish cooking.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
All I heard before Wiggins was drafted is that he had no motor, but I don't see it. His offense is way ahead of what it was made out to be coming into the draft. Yes, he can improve in other areas - he just turned 22 and he's got Thibs as his coach. He can and will continue to improve.

22 isn't that young and he hasn't played good defense at any point in his career. I really don't trust him to be anything more than a one-way player at this point.

Oftentimes we look at a guys body and see that he should be able to play good defense and assume he will at some point (Okafor is a good example of this), but that often isn't the case. Some guys just aren't cut out for it mentally.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

The crazy part is this is the most aware & active I have ever seen him.  I went to law school at KU (2011), and after graduating had season tickets for the 13-14 season.  Probably went to maybe 10 games.  It is honestly hard to describe how often I would forget he was even on the team.  He scored 17 ppg which is a lot (I think top 5 in the Self-era), but it was just such a quiet 17 points because he was so inactive in other aspects and would disappear for long stretches.  Polar opposite of the Morris Twins who would score less, but were always noticeable, impactful, and left their stamp on the game.  It was truly bizarre.  The Jeff Green analogies don't even go far enough from how I remember his time at Kansas.  I was kind of wondering if this year he finally figured it out, guess time will tell.  He actually had a couple nice assists last night that surprised me.

The opposite of Josh Jackson, who seems engaged every single second he is on the court.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

22 isn't that young and he hasn't played good defense at any point in his career. I really don't trust him to be anything more than a one-way player at this point.

Oftentimes we look at a guys body and see that he should be able to play good defense and assume he will at some point (Okafor is a good example of this), but that often isn't the case. Some guys just aren't cut out for it mentally.

Can we keep that "22 isn't that young" part for when people start waxing poetic about the Terry Rozier and Jordan Mickey?

Let's be frank - he doesn't have to be a plus defender to be a star in this league. Look at James Harden and our very own Isaiah Thomas. If he can add enough wrinkles to his offensive game, he just needs to be passable on defense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Can we keep that "22 isn't that young" part for when people start waxing poetic about the Terry Rozier and Jordan Mickey?

Let's be frank - he doesn't have to be a plus defender to be a star in this league. Look at James Harden and our very own Isaiah Thomas. If he can add enough wrinkles to his offensive game, he just needs to be passable on defense.

Sure, Rozier has a ceiling as a capable backup and Mickey should be cut in the offseason.

I agree that he doesn't have to be a plus defender to become a star (it's going to be more about improving his offensive efficiency or getting some rudimentary playmaking ability) but I'm just pointing out that expectations of defensive upside are probably unrealistic at this point.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

He also disappears on offence. He doesn't move without the ball - just stands a the three point line. Too lazy to even raise his hands to call for it.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He also disappears on offence. He doesn't move without the ball - just stands a the three point line. Too lazy to even raise his hands to call for it.

This is what happens when you have a team that is all youngsters. Jaylen Brown has to earn his minutes and he has guys like Smart and Crowder chirping in his ear every time he makes a bad play.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

This is what happens when you have a team that is all youngsters. Jaylen Brown has to earn his minutes and he has guys like Smart and Crowder chirping in his ear every time he makes a bad play.
No this is what happens when you have a team full of offensive chuckers that aren't defenders.  It is no coincidence that the team is playing a lot better overall basketball without Lavine.  They replaced him in the starting lineup with Brandon Rush, who while no where near the overall player that Lavine is, is a much better defender and thus just fits better.  I mean they are 10-8 in the games Rush has started and 19-31 in the other games. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

No this is what happens when you have a team full of offensive chuckers that aren't defenders.  It is no coincidence that the team is playing a lot better overall basketball without Lavine.  They replaced him in the starting lineup with Brandon Rush, who while no where near the overall player that Lavine is, is a much better defender and thus just fits better.  I mean they are 10-8 in the games Rush has started and 19-31 in the other games.

That too. He's on a bad team to develop his talent. Imagine how good he'd be next to LeBron in Cleveland.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Would anyone here trade our 2017 pick for him?

I'd say no way for #1 or #2 and will guess that's how most other people feel.

But what about #3 or #4? Jackson and Tatum have been playing well and have the potential to be better two-way players, IMO. On the other hand, Wiggins has shown that he's a 20+ ppg scorer, albeit a one-dimensional one. No guarantee that Jackson or Tatum hits that level.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Would anyone here trade our 2017 pick for him?

I'd say no way for #1 or #2 and will guess that's how most other people feel.

But what about #3 or #4? Jackson and Tatum have been playing well and have the potential to be better two-way players, IMO. On the other hand, Wiggins has shown that he's a 20+ ppg scorer, albeit a one-dimensional one. No guarantee that Jackson or Tatum hits that level.

No, I don't think we can accommodate more than one offense-only scorer in the lineup.