Author Topic: Picks in the 33-40 range for the C's?  (Read 6015 times)

Picks in the 33-40 range for the C's?
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I know we've all been focusing on the top 5, but we also have a pick that's currently #39 (incoming from Minnesota).

Draftexpress currently has us picking Grayson Allen, which makes me ill, so can the college hoops junkies weigh in on who else we should be targeting there?

Here's the DE mock for reference.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Re: Picks in the 33-40 range for the C's?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Great.

Another rookie. Just what we need.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Hopefully it will be packaged in a Draft Day trade for a Star....Chitown needs more picks.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What, you don't want another guard on the Celts for depth?

If Kelly leaves this summer, we're gonna need a replacement goofy white dude.

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans (and players) would get when Smart and Allen were on the floor together?

In all seriousness, I like Bam Adebayo or Semi Ojeyele as late 1st / early 2nd picks.  Harry Giles could very well drop.  T.J. Leaf could be worth a look.  Maybe Cam Oliver or Nigel Hayes, on the other end of things.

I would guess that every pick the Celts have after the Nets pick will be sold for cash + future considerations or used on another draft-and-stash, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I know we've all been focusing on the top 5, but we also have a pick that's currently #39 (incoming from Minnesota).

Draftexpress currently has us picking Grayson Allen, which makes me ill, so can the college hoops junkies weigh in on who else we should be targeting there?

This draft is deep on bigs after you get out of the lottery. I'm hoping a good pf or center with that 2nd rounder.

From 22 to 31 all the guys picked are bigs. I'm hoping one of those guys or Jarrett Allen end up available with that pick.

If the Celtics sign a max free agent it will be difficult to fill out their front court roster, adding a cheap 2nd round option isn't a bad idea.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Alec Peters is the name to remember.  Plays the 3/4, and was recruited by Stevens to go to Butler (he chose Valpo).  DE has him at 31 right now, but he could definitely be available at the Minny pick, or even be someone the team trades up a few spots for.  He's a terrific scorer.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
What, you don't want another guard on the Celts for depth?

If Kelly leaves this summer, we're gonna need a replacement goofy white dude.

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans (and players) would get when Smart and Allen were on the floor together?

In all seriousness, I like Bam Adebayo or Semi Ojeyele as late 1st / early 2nd picks.  Harry Giles could very well drop.  T.J. Leaf could be worth a look.  Maybe Cam Oliver or Nigel Hayes, on the other end of things.

I would guess that every pick the Celts have after the Nets pick will be sold for cash + future considerations or used on another draft-and-stash, though.

Only if that guard can't shoot.

LOL.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This draft is deep on bigs after you get out of the lottery. I'm hoping a good pf or center with that 2nd rounder.

From 22 to 31 all the guys picked are bigs. I'm hoping one of those guys or Jarrett Allen end up available with that pick.

If the Celtics sign a max free agent it will be difficult to fill out their front court roster, adding a cheap 2nd round option isn't a bad idea.

The Celts could really use a young, cost controlled swing forward to replace Jonas and possibly Kelly.  Somebody strong, long-armed, 6'7'' - 6'10,'' who can board a little, shoot a little, pass a little, and switch a little.

Mickey doesn't look like he's gonna be an NBA player anytime soon and I'd guess that JJ, Kelly, Amir, and Zeller will all be cap casualties this summer.

That leaves us relying on Zizic, Yabu, and veteran signings to fill out the big rotation behind Horford and (hopefully) a FA frontcourt upgrade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think danny opts for some kind of draft and stash

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The Celts could really use a young, cost controlled swing forward to replace Jonas and possibly Kelly.  Somebody strong, long-armed, 6'7'' - 6'10,'' who can board a little, shoot a little, pass a little, and switch a little.

Mickey doesn't look like he's gonna be an NBA player anytime soon and I'd guess that JJ, Kelly, Amir, and Zeller will all be cap casualties this summer.

That leaves us relying on Zizic, Yabu, and veteran signings to fill out the big rotation behind Horford and (hopefully) a FA frontcourt upgrade.

He's probably sticking in college one more year, but watch DJ Wilson of Michigan in the tourney.   He's 6'9" - 6'10", with a reportedly 7'3" wingspan.  He can shoot the 3, make acrobatic dunks, and defend the 3-5.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does it matter who we draft? Most likely any second round puck will be stashed, not good enough to make the team, or given one of those new two way contracts and will spend his whole year in Maine at an NBADL rate.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Does it matter who we draft? Most likely any second round puck will be stashed, not good enough to make the team, or given one of those new two way contracts and will spend his whole year in Maine at an NBADL rate.

I would not be surprised to see our top 2nd on the roster if Yab gets another year of seasoning elsewhere.  Said player would likely spend a lot of time on the Downeaster, but the Celtics have a lot of roster spots to potentially fill next season.  Essentially he'd take Mickey's roster spot.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Draft and stash makes the most sense.

Jordan Bell gets mocked in that range, I like him as a tough defender and rebounder at the PF spot, seems to have an improving offensive game.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would like to take a chance on Thomas Bryant. Big man can shoot it a little. Maybe he and Nader could be the 16th/17th spots that go back and forth from the Red Claws and the Celtics?

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think Alec Peters is the name to remember.  Plays the 3/4, and was recruited by Stevens to go to Butler (he chose Valpo).  DE has him at 31 right now, but he could definitely be available at the Minny pick, or even be someone the team trades up a few spots for.  He's a terrific scorer.

I like Peters too...been including him in the Draft prospects thread for awhile.

Don't like his season-ending stress fracture, though, he's been out for two weeks.

Thomas Bryant, if he comes out, should get a look from us. Can block shots and not a bad three point shooter.

Ben Lammers, Moritz Wagner, Bell or Dorsey or Brooks from Oregon and Monte Morris and Deonte Burton should get looks too.

EDIT: TPS to chili and jay. I am very slow posting things. (Bell, Bryant)