Author Topic: Darko article..a warning to Danny  (Read 4511 times)

Darko article..a warning to Danny
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:05:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:12:40 AM by Ogaju »

Re: Darko article..a warning to Danny
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
link?

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:40:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i don't know how can anyone predict and avoid such cases.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
And this is why we need to scout not only their skills and physical profile, but also their mental stability and toughness. You don't want guys like Larry Sanders or Darko who just happened to lack passion for the game, especially at top 10 lottery.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Right -- Don't draft a young guy with substance abuse problems.  Danny already proved he understood that when he passed on McGary and Upshaw, amongst others.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Right -- Don't draft a young guy with substance abuse problems.  Danny already proved he understood that when he passed on McGary and Upshaw, amongst others.
Pretty much, right?  If it's a young kid, I don't think you can justify it and say "It's only alcohol, it's only a little weed, so what?" like a lot of our posters tend to do.  It tends to signal a problem that will get worse for a lot of these kids.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Just because someone is 6 '8 " does not mean he loves sports or even basketball.   Many guys who are tall are intellectual , like autos ,  music , etc .....

Many tall or big guys are kinda thrown into sports by adults based on their size.

Jeff Green was given a gods body , but he reminds me more of a college professor.   Easy going and intellectual .

I think you want guys who basketball is their passion and want to make it their career.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
And this is why we need to scout not only their skills and physical profile, but also their mental stability and toughness. You don't want guys like Larry Sanders or Darko who just happened to lack passion for the game, especially at top 10 lottery.

For every Darko, there is a Noah.
If you think Rozier and Smart are not smoking weed at least once a week, think again.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If you think Rozier and Smart are not smoking weed at least once a week, think again.
This unsubstantiated claim seems unnecessary.  Cut it out.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I don't like prejudiced statements, so I'm not thinking they do. And this is a serious topic to take it lightly,

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

Bingo. It's also why Jaylen Brown was an excellent pick. Draft guys who are eager to work on their game and get better. Not guys who are there to collect a paycheck and whose love of basketball is lukewarm.

With that said, I actually came away from reading that article respecting Darko a bit more. The guy is so aware of what went wrong, and makes no excuses about it. He acknowledges he never had the mindset to succeed, and he never liked playing. I'm happy for him that he's moved on.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Pretty much, right?  If it's a young kid, I don't think you can justify it and say "It's only alcohol, it's only a little weed, so what?" like a lot of our posters tend to do.  It tends to signal a problem that will get worse for a lot of these kids.

Lots of people, not just athletes, smoke a little weed or drink a little too much as kids, and turn out just fine.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Lots of people, not just athletes, smoke a little weed or drink a little too much as kids, and turn out just fine.
Yes, but I'm not talking about having a puff or some drinks on a day off.  I'm talking about people that have a more significant history of it.  Darko was getting drunk before practice.  That's not normal.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Athletes aren't lots of people.  And I'd argue NBA players aren't even like athletes in some other sports -- baseball pitchers can get away with a bit more than today's NBA power forwards.  Of the four major US sports, NBA rookies are the youngest, furthest away from their peak performance, and are generally paid the most.  In other words, NBA prospects are the least likely to be mature, need the most time to work on both their body and game, and also have less incentive to put in that work, because they've already been well compensated.

"Turning out fine" might work when you're graduating at 22 and need to get serious with your life by 25.  An NBA draftee is already off his rookie contract by then.  It's different from most other pro sports, and worlds different from life in the stands instead of on the court.  Addiction issues are not to be trifled with.