Author Topic: Crazy logical idea for L.A Clippers  (Read 1257 times)

Crazy logical idea for L.A Clippers
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I know I may be laughed at but I have an idea that actually makes sense but will obviously never happen.

LA Clippers are finished as a contender and should really rebuild, in a theoretical world, I would move the team to Seattle and bring back the Sonics...(please hear me out haha)

- League/Seattle want Sonics back
- Clippers have been a cancer in the league and will always be associated with Donald Sterling
- Clippers will lose a lot of fans as soon as Lakers become contenders again.
- Clippers have no 'culture, history or heritage' that will be lost with name change
- Steve Ballmer has a long association with Seattle being the CEO of Microsoft
- Ballmer wants Clippers to have their own stadium anyway so what if the NBA helps with a relocation package for Ballmer
- Sonics will have a massive fan base from day 1
- Relocation won't water down the talent base unlike an expansion and both teams are in the West so will not mess with schedules.
- Ballmer will have lots of possible minor investors in Washington natives and former Sonics, Seattle athletes.

Re: Crazy logical idea for L.A Clippers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think moving to a much smaller media market would devalue the franchise significantly. I'd love to see a team in Seattle, but I don't think this makes financial sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm almost certain the Clippers are more valuable being LA's "2nd team" than they would be as Seattle's only team.

Money talks.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I'd love to see a team in Seattle

The Sonics never should have left for OKC.  I would be fine if they moved back to Seattle.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »

• Bill Walton
I think moving to a much smaller media market would devalue the franchise significantly. I'd love to see a team in Seattle, but I don't think this makes financial sense.

Seattle population growth and financial growth has been huge recently

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/seattle-regions-population-growing-historic-pace-making-biggest-annual-gain-century/

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »

• Bill Walton
I'm almost certain the Clippers are more valuable being LA's "2nd team" than they would be as Seattle's only team.

Money talks.

I know this will never happen, but it actually makes a lot of sense is all I am saying...plus I miss Sonics.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/seattle-regions-population-growing-historic-pace-making-biggest-annual-gain-century/

They're still roughly the market size of Phoenix or Minneapolis, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Money talks.

I know this will never happen, but it actually makes a lot of sense is all I am saying...plus I miss Sonics.

It might make sense from a sentimental/emotional standpoint, but it makes zero sense from a financial standpoint.  The money is all that matters to businessmen.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »

• Bill Walton

They're still roughly the market size of Phoenix or Minneapolis, though.

The population is just under Boston's and Celtics is currently the 4th most valuable franchise in the NBA...so it won't hold back the team if they are build properly. I was listening to the Lowe post recently and he asked several players what away trip they enjoyed the most and it was Seattle, they loved the city.

Like i said earlier it is never going to happen but there are so many positives to this idea and it would officially rid the NBA of Donald Sterling legacy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:17:18 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seattle probably should have a basketball team and OKC should not so my first choice would be to move the Thunder back to Seattle.

Since that is not likely, I look to the NBA's least valuable teams in the Bucks and Pelicans. With the Bucks opening a brand new stadium and also being in the Eastern Conference, I go with New Orleans. The Clippers are currently worth about 3X as much as the Pelicans ($2B to $650M). It was already decided that it was a mistake to move Charlotte's team to New Orleans (by bringing back the Hornets), why not just end the N.O. experiment altogether and bring that team to a city where they will actually thrive?

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Rumors in LA are that the Clippers are in talks to leave the Staples Center and move into the new Rams mega-complex near the airport. This will put them on the other side of town, in a state of the art facility where they would face little competition.

That's the smart move for them

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:33:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I agree with moving Pelicans to Seattle as the sonics.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Memphis is the other one that people don't mention. They're doing well now so no one thinks of moving them but the fan base is small and the ownership would seemingly accept a takeover