Author Topic: Improvements: adding just Zizic, Yabu, Josh Jackson?  (Read 5880 times)

Re: Improvements: adding just Zizic, Yabu, Josh Jackson?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Here's a projected minute distribution if we keep the current core in tact and add those 3 guys.  I'm assuming we play a traditional point guard, two wings, and a big for 48 minutes each then split the PF position into 24 minutes with a wing and 24 minutes with a big.  (Calling Yabu a "big" even though he's very much a wing/big mix)

PG (48 min available):  IT (34) / Rozier (14)
Wings (120 min available):  Avery (32) / Crowder (32) / Smart (30) / Jaylen (20) / Jackson (20)
Bigs (72 min available):  Horford (32) / Zizic (22) / Yabu (18)

That's only 10 rostered players listed there.  If we're bringing in a free agent or bringing back any of Olynyk, Amir, Jerebko, Gerald Green, or Zeller, then you've gotta cut into somebody's minutes above.

Looking at all of that, I'm a bit concerned over us not having enough minutes to fully develop all of our young players.  Because while I do like that rotation above (I think it would yield roughly equal wins to this season), that leaves us with a ton of cap space for a free agent or bringing somebody back, which I'd absolutely expect we do, which would cut into our younger guys' minutes.
This is what I've been saying for awhile.  Something has to give.  You can't develop young players when you don't play them.  Though in your rotation I would just eliminate Rozier and give those minutes to Smart which would allow additional minutes for Brown and Jackson.  That said there is no way that Zizic and Yabu should be playing 40 minutes a night and I don't like how much small ball you have the team set up to play (24 minutes a game of small ball is just way too much).

1.  You should check out the EDIT note on my original post.  I gave out 132 minutes at the wings, not 120, so even the minutes in that original distribution would have to be rolled back.  Which still speaks even more to our concerns of lack of available minutes.

2.  If you get rid of Rozier, then you're at 9 rotational players.  You can't get through a regular season with that.  If you don't play him, you might as well trade him... in which case you're bringing in somebody else and again you've got a minutes dilemma.  Brad is currently giving 12 Celtics at least 10 min per game.

3.  Re: Yabu and Zizic playing 40 minutes a night....  I think if you actually want to develop them, you have to give them that playing time.  But I think we'll probably sign or re-sign somebody for depth at the big position which would indeed cut into their minutes.  As for 24 minutes of small ball, I think that's pretty on par with what Brad is going to do whether you like it or not haha.  Crowder is gonna play some PF for sure (or Jerebko, depending on what happens in free agency).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Here's a projected minute distribution if we keep the current core in tact and add those 3 guys.  I'm assuming we play a traditional point guard, two wings, and a big for 48 minutes each then split the PF position into 24 minutes with a wing and 24 minutes with a big.  (Calling Yabu a "big" even though he's very much a wing/big mix)

Wings (120 min available):  Avery (32) / Crowder (32) / Smart (30) / Jaylen (20) / Jackson (20)

That's only 10 rostered players listed there.  If we're bringing in a free agent or bringing back any of Olynyk, Amir, Jerebko, Gerald Green, or Zeller, then you've gotta cut into somebody's minutes above.

Looking at all of that, I'm a bit concerned over us not having enough minutes to fully develop all of our young players.  Because while I do like that rotation above (I think it would yield roughly equal wins to this season), that leaves us with a ton of cap space for a free agent or bringing somebody back, which I'd absolutely expect we do, which would cut into our younger guys' minutes.
This is what I've been saying for awhile.  Something has to give.  You can't develop young players when you don't play them.  Though in your rotation I would just eliminate Rozier and give those minutes to Smart which would allow additional minutes for Brown and Jackson.  That said there is no way that Zizic and Yabu should be playing 40 minutes a night and I don't like how much small ball you have the team set up to play (24 minutes a game of small ball is just way too much).
The flaw is that this is a theoretical scenario that will not happen.  If they have shed the salaries of Amir, Jerebko, Zeller, Green, and not re-signed Olynyk, it probably means that cap space went to sign a big name FA, and most likely a frontcourt player in that scenario (like Blake Griffin).  Zizic and Yabu will not be playing 40 minutes a game between them.

Bigs (72 min available):  Horford (32) / Griffin (32) / Zizic (5) / Yabu (3)

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:23 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Tatum is a all around better player and a better defender.

Are you serious?

Check him out during the tourney.

I have watched him for 3 years and I would disagree with that.

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

1.  You should check out the EDIT note on my original post.  I gave out 132 minutes at the wings, not 120, so even the minutes in that original distribution would have to be rolled back.  Which still speaks even more to our concerns of lack of available minutes.

2.  If you get rid of Rozier, then you're at 9 rotational players.  You can't get through a regular season with that.  If you don't play him, you might as well trade him... in which case you're bringing in somebody else and again you've got a minutes dilemma.  Brad is currently giving 12 Celtics at least 10 min per game.

3.  Re: Yabu and Zizic playing 40 minutes a night....  I think if you actually want to develop them, you have to give them that playing time.  But I think we'll probably sign or re-sign somebody for depth at the big position which would indeed cut into their minutes.  As for 24 minutes of small ball, I think that's pretty on par with what Brad is going to do whether you like it or not haha.  Crowder is gonna play some PF for sure (or Jerebko, depending on what happens in free agency).
Well yeah there will be foul trouble, injuries, rest days, etc., but there is nothing wrong with having a 9 man rotation (though 10 is more optimal, you just don't have enough big guys in the rotation - Rozier should not be playing 14 mpg next year, he just isn't good enough). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Are you serious?

I have watched him for 3 years and I would disagree with that.

Yes, there are reasons why one would want Tatum over Jackson. Defense is not one. Jackson is the best all around/versatile defender of this draft..if not top 2-3

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fultz

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
For all the positives about Zizic and Yabu in other leagues, they still have to make a massive jump in standard. Especially Yabu.

Zeller, JJ and KO can only make way if someone significant is signed in FA. Of this three only KO really strikes me as a handy player in a big playoff series. I worry though that he seems to go missing at times and his consistency isn't what it should be.

I fancy Zizic to be the player who could find his feet quickly at the NBA level. I don't see enough college basketball to comment on the draft picks.

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 12:55:22 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Are you serious?

I watched every second Tatum played in the tourney and this opinion is absurd.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28:11 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nope.  I'd go in hard after Blake Griffin this summer.  Maybe swing a trade for Paul George to entice him.

A lineup of
1. IT
2. Paul George
3. Crowder
4. Griffin
5. Horford

Me likes.

Bench: Brown, Smart, Olynyk, Zizic, Yabu, bench FA veteran.

We are going to need to give up assets to get George, I'm going to guess at minimum Bradley + a Brooklyn pic + salary filler.

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Adding Zizic and Yabu will likely have little impact on the next season, so retaining Johnson is probably a good idea while other players are developing. 

Jackson will definitely be able to contribute quality minutes in the later half of the season (think Brown's impact but not as early in the season). 

I think the current members improving will be the best improvements.  I do feel comfortable allowing the team via hard work and sweat to improve before we spend the dough. 

Adding a power forward rotation player like JyMichal Green or Patrick Patterson would be good options as free agents adding a competitive boost.  Don't think we need to pay big for a star just yet. 

We still have another Nets' pick to consider for next year's draft.

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Are you serious?

I watched every second Tatum played in the tourney and this opinion is absurd.

In the NBA game I believe Tatum will be the better player. Many of the former players on TV have said the the same thing. His all around game is better.