Author Topic: Improvements: adding just Zizic, Yabu, Josh Jackson?  (Read 5913 times)

Re: Improvements: adding just Zizic, Yabu, Josh Jackson?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wouldn't dare pick Josh Jackson over Jayson Tatum. No way

KO would be gone as well. I don't think I can watch him fumble and stumble another year. We can find a soft big anywhere.

Why?

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Tatum is a all around better player and a better defender.

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Forget Zeller for now.
Yabu and Zizic- I don't think will be an improvement on their first year over Amir and JJ.
in 2-3 year more likely.

I think Amir comes back for a reasonable deal (say $7 million per for 2 to 3 years) IF we strike out on a big FA signing.

Smitty77

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Are you serious?

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

KO would be gone as well. I don't think I can watch him fumble and stumble another year. We can find a soft big anywhere.

Am I the only one that doesn't see KO as soft anymore? I feel he as bulked up and is one of our more physical bigs. And every time I see him it seems that he has a new scratch or scar on his arms......maybe that and his beard make him seem less soft and more scruffy lol

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Am I the only one that doesn't see KO as soft anymore? I feel he as bulked up and is one of our more physical bigs. And every time I see him it seems that he has a new scratch or scar on his arms......maybe that and his beard make him seem less soft and more scruffy lol
He played well the last few games. Some of the things he did against the Bulls was impressive. I'm hoping he resigns for a bargain.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Forget Zeller for now.
Yabu and Zizic- I don't think will be an improvement on their first year over Amir and JJ.
in 2-3 year more likely.

I think Amir comes back for a reasonable deal (say $7 million per for 2 to 3 years) IF we strike out on a big FA signing.

Smitty77

If we strike out in FA and trades, no way do I want AJ back on a reasonable contract.  Like currently, I want his contract capable of matching big salaries in a trade.  Two years, 15-20m per, with the second season non-guaranteed.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Johnson is a proven player, nobody knows how good/bad Zizic, Yabu and Jackson will be, I'd try to sign Johnson on a short deal, maybe 10m/year for 2 years, maybe let go Jerebko and Young and bring one of Yabu, Zizic.

Subtract Johnson, Zeller, Jerebko

Rest of the roster in tact

How much better would this team be?

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have to agree with thise that think we would be no better next year and possibly worse. The idea that you can rely on rookies for quality, consistent production to a winnung team is just a fantasy for those that love youth but can't fathom the realities of how the NBA treats rookies. For all of Brown's progress this year he is not responsible for how much better this team is over last year, Horford and IT are. Expecting much of anything from the 2017 pick, Yabu and Zizic is just foolhardy.

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Im one of the biggest Tatum guys on here and  I would not agree that he is the better defender.

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'm hoping Zizic will be great.

I have Zero expectations for Yabu--Danny should have traded this pick and kept the pick that turned into Zubac perhaps....but it was a hectic Draft Night, so I dunno.

I think Josh Jackson is exactly a Danny guy.

Zeller/Mickey/D.Jackson need to go.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Here's a projected minute distribution if we keep the current core in tact and add those 3 guys.  I'm assuming we play a traditional point guard, two wings, and a big for 48 minutes each then split the PF position into 24 minutes with a wing and 24 minutes with a big.  (Calling Yabu a "big" even though he's very much a wing/big mix)

PG (48 min available):  IT (34) / Rozier (14)
Wings (120 min available):  Avery (32) / Crowder (32) / Smart (30) / Jaylen (20) / Jackson (20)
Bigs (72 min available):  Horford (32) / Zizic (22) / Yabu (18)

That's only 10 rostered players listed there.  If we're bringing in a free agent or bringing back any of Olynyk, Amir, Jerebko, Gerald Green, or Zeller, then you've gotta cut into somebody's minutes above.

Looking at all of that, I'm a bit concerned over us not having enough minutes to fully develop all of our young players.  Because while I do like that rotation above (I think it would yield roughly equal wins to this season), that leaves us with a ton of cap space for a free agent or bringing somebody back, which I'd absolutely expect we do, which would cut into our younger guys' minutes.

*EDIT -- I've given out 132 minutes at the wings, not 120.  So even as is, we've gotta cut some players' minutes from those projections.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:45:20 PM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I have Zero expectations for Yabu--Danny should have traded this pick and kept the pick that turned into Zubac perhaps....but it was a hectic Draft Night, so I dunno.

He should have drafted Labissiere!  I was so annoyed by this on draft night.  And Skal's been looking like a very nice young player last few weeks in Sac now that minutes have opened up for him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Are you serious?

Check him out during the tourney.

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Here's a projected minute distribution if we keep the current core in tact and add those 3 guys.  I'm assuming we play a traditional point guard, two wings, and a big for 48 minutes each then split the PF position into 24 minutes with a wing and 24 minutes with a big.  (Calling Yabu a "big" even though he's very much a wing/big mix)

PG (48 min available):  IT (34) / Rozier (14)
Wings (120 min available):  Avery (32) / Crowder (32) / Smart (30) / Jaylen (20) / Jackson (20)
Bigs (72 min available):  Horford (32) / Zizic (22) / Yabu (18)

That's only 10 rostered players listed there.  If we're bringing in a free agent or bringing back any of Olynyk, Amir, Jerebko, Gerald Green, or Zeller, then you've gotta cut into somebody's minutes above.

Looking at all of that, I'm a bit concerned over us not having enough minutes to fully develop all of our young players.  Because while I do like that rotation above (I think it would yield roughly equal wins to this season), that leaves us with a ton of cap space for a free agent or bringing somebody back, which I'd absolutely expect we do, which would cut into our younger guys' minutes.
This is what I've been saying for awhile.  Something has to give.  You can't develop young players when you don't play them.  Though in your rotation I would just eliminate Rozier and give those minutes to Smart which would allow additional minutes for Brown and Jackson.  That said there is no way that Zizic and Yabu should be playing 40 minutes a night and I don't like how much small ball you have the team set up to play (24 minutes a game of small ball is just way too much). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip