Author Topic: Does Lonzo Ball's father change your opinion on if we should draft him?  (Read 16265 times)

Re: Does Lonzo Ball's father change your opinion on if we should draft him?
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The guy is appalling, i am going to be pretty disappointed in Ainge if they end up drafting Lonzo, especially considering Brad didn't want any locker room cancers like Demarcus on our roster.
I'm also not sure Lonzo is as quiet as people say he is. Latest interview he said "he just wants to be a Laker" who says that? Fultz on the other hand said what should have been said, "I just want to go #1." That's the attitude you want in a player..

Like other's I have no tolerance for racism.. Ironic thing about it is imagine if Karnowski's father said the reverse about the Zaga loss? The world would be in an uproar. I really hope these comments don't get swept under the rug.

In case you haven't already learned, rascism is a one way street.

Hope LA wins the lotto and picks him and he's a major bust and cancer to the team.

Not sure if you're being serious with that statement.  Some people actually believe it to be true and it isn't but I won't go into why because it seems like you might be joking.

??? Why do you think I bolded that part.

As Jpat said if this was the reverse this country would be in a full scale riot. Either way the comment is directed it is wrong. BUT it does matter who says it. If you disagree you're very much not in touch with the current state of race affiars in this counrty.

But the truth is him saying it garners little to no media attention and even less backlash. It's just a story to them.

So yeah, I was joking.  :P
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What a racist pos.  I hope Danny stay as far away from his son as possible. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The guy is appalling, i am going to be pretty disappointed in Ainge if they end up drafting Lonzo, especially considering Brad didn't want any locker room cancers like Demarcus on our roster.
I'm also not sure Lonzo is as quiet as people say he is. Latest interview he said "he just wants to be a Laker" who says that? Fultz on the other hand said what should have been said, "I just want to go #1." That's the attitude you want in a player..

Like other's I have no tolerance for racism.. Ironic thing about it is imagine if Karnowski's father said the reverse about the Zaga loss? The world would be in an uproar. I really hope these comments don't get swept under the rug.

In case you haven't already learned, rascism is a one way street.

Hope LA wins the lotto and picks him and he's a major bust and cancer to the team.

Not sure if you're being serious with that statement.  Some people actually believe it to be true and it isn't but I won't go into why because it seems like you might be joking.

??? Why do you think I bolded that part.

As Jpat said if this was the reverse this country would be in a full scale riot. Either way the comment is directed it is wrong. BUT it does matter who says it. If you disagree you're very much not in touch with the current state of race affiars in this counrty.

But the truth is him saying it garners little to no media attention and even less backlash. It's just a story to them.

So yeah, I was joking.  :P

after reading https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/06/lavar-ball-lonzo-ucla-kentucky-loss-slow-white-guys, i really want to stay away from Lonzo...nothing against the kid really but can you imagine if the Celtics go on a 2-3 game losing streak as we are now, and his dad runs his mouth that his son is perfect and people like Smart and Brown and Bradley are the reason we lost? Or "we must trade IT in order for Ball to succeed"...i can only imagine the locker room talks

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
His dad is a bad person.  I don't like him anyways at the top of the draft but it certainly would be something I would think about.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If he made a racial comment on a theoretical basis, that would be bad enough, but we've all heard that before.  In this case, he's calling out three of Lonzo's teammates.  That has to be awful for Lonzo.  It's also a terrible situation for his 2nd son, LiAngelo.  One of those two players will be LiAngelo's teammate next year and another is the son of the team's head coach.  What a stupid, racist, and selfish thing for Lavar to say.

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If he made a racial comment on a theoretical basis, that would be bad enough, but we've all heard that before.  In this case, he's calling out three of Lonzo's teammates.  That has to be awful for Lonzo.  It's also a terrible situation for his 2nd son, LiAngelo.  One of those two players will be LiAngelo's teammate next year and another is the son of the team's head coach.  What a stupid, racist, and selfish thing for Lavar to say.
I suspect he could care less because "Lonzo's gettin' his!".

I've mentioned in other threads a couple of other fathers of prospects I've encountered who see their kids as big meal tickets and it swells their egos.  Neither of those kids has had the kind of career their fathers bragged would happen which in turn has led to a lot less money rolling in for the family to mooch off of. 

Ball's father seems to be of the same ilk.  For Ball's sake he needs to tell his father to bugger off and stay out of his career.  doubt it will happen but the kid has to dictate the terms of that relationship going forward for the sake of his career.  hopefully the kid has a good head on his shoulders to handle his father.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:29:52 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
You know, when I first read what his dad said, I was perturbed.  Angry.

But then I was just giving him power with that reaction.

The best way to address people like Lonzo Ball's father is to just ignore him. Because that is what his comments are worth--nothing.

Wish the news media, especially ESPN, would do the same.

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Pretty stupid considering his wife, Lonzo's mother, is white. It would be great to see Lonzo fall to 5th due to teams being concerned over him having one slow foot and possibly lacking a tendency to get straight back up after being elbowed in the face.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
What a racist pos.  I hope Danny stay as far away from his son as possible.

You know what's extra funny about his comment. He was the "garbage black guy" that sucked and avg 2 ppg in college.

While what attracted him to his wife was the fact she was better than him. If anything the boys got there talent from mom and not that scrub that couldn't get his slow butt off the bench. Moron.

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This comment is stupid because, as people have mentioned, he puts his sons (specifically Liangelo and Lonzo) in a really tough posiiton with thier former(lonzo) and future(Liangelo) teammates.

It doesnt effect how I evaluate Lonzo.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd STILL be happy with Lonzo if we got him - regardless of his Dad's recent lamebrain comment(s).

At least he went back and attempted an apology - which is seemingly a lost art nowadays.

Lavar Ball COULD be an asset to us as a FAN, though...man has already ruffled LeBron's feathers.

The scenario could be that we draft Lonzo AND his baggage (Pops)....get a LOUD and VOCAL fan that will not hesitate to belittle LeBron and (hopefully) get under his skin....

or....

BOS could get an even BIGGER target on our backs with Lavar attempting to belittle LeBron and LBJ proceeds to roast us every time we play CLE.

Either way these are exciting times. Lonzo is STILL a rather level-headed and talented player that I wouldn't mind seeing in Green.

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'd STILL be happy with Lonzo if we got him - regardless of his Dad's recent lamebrain comment(s).

At least he went back and attempted an apology - which is seemingly a lost art nowadays.

Lavar Ball COULD be an asset to us as a FAN, though...man has already ruffled LeBron's feathers.

The scenario could be that we draft Lonzo AND his baggage (Pops)....get a LOUD and VOCAL fan that will not hesitate to belittle LeBron and (hopefully) get under his skin....

or....

BOS could get an even BIGGER target on our backs with Lavar attempting to belittle LeBron and LBJ proceeds to roast us every time we play CLE.

Either way these are exciting times. Lonzo is STILL a rather level-headed and talented player that I wouldn't mind seeing in Green.
ruffling Lebron's feathers has not been a good strategy the past few years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This comment is stupid because, as people have mentioned, he puts his sons (specifically Liangelo and Lonzo) in a really tough posiiton with thier former(lonzo) and future(Liangelo) teammates.

It doesnt effect how I evaluate Lonzo.

That's another Tp for thinking objectively like a GM would.

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I feel bad for the sons. Kind of reminds me of the Jackson 5 and their father.  I'm not sure how I feel about drafting him, probably would avoid the headache, but I think overall Lonzo's father has to be hurting his draft stock.

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Maybe his higher priority should be to figure out why his son is little more than a turnstile as a perimeter defender.