Author Topic: Larry Sanders Signs with Cavs  (Read 6858 times)

Re: Larry Sanders Signs with Cavs
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Jeez, the cavs have been on a roll lately. They took a pretty decent hit when bogut went down but it seems they're pretty high on sanders so hopefully for them he'll be able to rip some boards down and play passable NBA defense. Now, if he kills us in the playoffs, I won't be too happy with Danny, but he's always seemingly been able to weed out the weak and find solid NBA players for CBS to work with (Turner, Crawford, etc.) so I'll trust him here. He gets a lot of flak on here, but he tells it how it is and I think many players respect his blunt demeanor.  Seemed like a pipe dream to begin with, but I don't think he'd get us past the cavs. Theyd still smoke us in a 7 game series, and as is I think they'd make light work of us. Not gonna sweat it
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:09:18 PM by CelticsFan166 »

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I am grappling with this question in my head over and over: If the Cavs had their choice between a free Jordan Mickey and a free Larry Sanders, who would they choose?

And I keep coming up with the same answer over and over; and it's not Jordan Mickey.

Free Mickey....permanently.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 08:42:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Jeez, the cavs have been on a roll lately. They took a pretty decent hit when bogut went down but it seems they're pretty high on sanders so hopefully for them he'll be able to rip some boards down and play passable NBA defense. Now, if he kills us in the playoffs, I won't be too happy with Danny, but he's always seemingly been able to weed out the weak and find solid NBA players for CBS to work with (Turner, Crawford, etc.) so I'll trust him here. He gets a lot of flak on here, but he tells it how it is and I think many players respect his blunt demeanor.  Seemed like a pipe dream to begin with, but I don't think he'd get us past the cavs. Theyd still smoke us in a 7 game series, and as is I think they'd make light work of us. Not gonna sweat it

I hate to shatter your fantasy, bud, but you can't just sit out of the league for twenty months or so and expect to just grind your way back to success.  Larry's going to be so green he's going to spend every game looking like he can't decide whether to crap or get off the pot. Head cases are always head cases, and unless Ty Lue's running some kind of Phil Jackson head shop on the side he'll be lucky if he can get Sanders to play decent D, snag a board or two, and pass it on the left-hand side, let alone swing the ball well enough to smoke top defenses like Golden State. And that's if he can play more than a couple minutes without being completely cashed. Resintment leaves a foul taste, and a lot of his new teammates were working for a ring while Larry was "retired". The Cavs are on edge and full-blown locker room fights have stemmed from smaller seeds than that. Mark my words, by the 2nd round he'll be doing nothing but dabs and high-fives on the bench. Marijuana.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

I hate to shatter your fantasy, bud, but you can't just sit out of the league for twenty months or so and expect to just grind your way back to success.  Larry's going to be so green he's going to spend every game looking like he can't decide whether to crap or get off the pot. Head cases are always head cases, and unless Ty Lue's running some kind of Phil Jackson head shop on the side he'll be lucky if he can get Sanders to play decent D, snag a board or two, and pass it on the left-hand side, let alone swing the ball well enough to smoke top defenses like Golden State. And that's if he can play more than a couple minutes without being completely cashed. Resintment leaves a foul taste, and a lot of his new teammates were working for a ring while Larry was "retired". The Cavs are on edge and full-blown locker room fights have stemmed from smaller seeds than that. Mark my words, by the 2nd round he'll be doing nothing but dabs and high-fives on the bench. Marijuana.
I just think he's chasing the paper at this point more than the ring, although he didn't sign a huge contract. At some point, gravity is gonna catch up to him and he's bound to fall back to earth and realize he's not the same player he once was. His entire game was based on his athletic ability, but I feel like he'll be a bit raw now. Systematically speaking, it'll be a joint effort on the part of Lue and Sanders to make it work, but I think he fits much better on the cavs than, say, the nuggets. He could give them a nice spark off the bench, and if it doesn't work no bic deal. It could be a good deal for both of them, but if he can get points, rebounds, and even some dimes I'm sure he could make things work. Even if all he does is cherry pick like Lamelo, I'm sure he could see some success and really turn over a new leaf. Plus, he's got the strength to just bowl over people and get them out of his way, so he could definitely be a serviceable center. As for bench contributions, maybe he could handle the warm up playlist? I've heard he loves chief keef.

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Holy cow. Lol.

Relax.

I felt some reefer madness vibe from this.

J/K!  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :-X :-X

As you said in your post, Sanders is just coming back from basketball, to expect any positive contribution this quickly is a misguided mistake. He's going to be extremely raw. But all he has to do is play within his game, and just try to block shots. When your teammates are Love, Irving, and James, all great scorers, you don't have to exert too much energy on offense.

Just out of curiosity, foulweatherfan, how do you feel about Sanders. Did you want him on the Celtics?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Holy cow. Lol.

Relax.

I felt some reefer madness vibe from this.

J/K!  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :-X :-X

As you said in your post, Sanders is just coming back from basketball, to expect any positive contribution this quickly is a misguided mistake. He's going to be extremely raw. But all he has to do is play within his game, and just try to block shots. When your teammates are Love, Irving, and James, all great scorers, you don't have to exert too much energy on offense.

Just out of curiosity, foulweatherfan, how do you feel about Sanders. Did you want him on the Celtics?

I mostly just wanted to make weed puns  ;D Was proudest of the bolded.

Completely honestly,  I do think expecting a real contribution to a playoff team is pretty unlikely; the list of guys who've done that after a long hiatus is awfully short, with a notable exception being our own PJ Brown, but even he mostly did spot minute stuff. For Sanders to shake off the rust quickly enough to help seems unlikely.

I was willing to give him a shot here - the opportunity cost is very low - but would've preferred to add him earlier in the season to give him time to get caught up. But reportedly he wanted guaranteed money next year, and Danny probably preferred his non guaranteed vet-min special, so I understand why we didn't grab him.

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:04 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I will go on record and say I am p---ed we didn't sign him...

I don't see how anyone can be mad until we at least see if he can still play or not

We got Mickey---who CANNOT play NBA level BB....so yeah, we should be mad.
Well apparently Ainge didn't think Sanders was good enough to justify cutting Mickey.  Doing that would have been a low-risk high-reward (potentially) move and he couldn't do it.  What's he going to do for Cleveland?  This thread is really a non-issue for the Celtics.
I read somewhere that they actually had talks but DA would not commit to next year.
reminds me of that javale mcgee situation. I didn't end up losing sleep even with his "rebirth" this year for the warriors.

I love McGee's hook-shot brick that somehow went in against Boston last week, followed by his missed dunk. :laugh:
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 01:26:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Reportedly Sanders has lost a lot of the muscle mass that he once had. That and the fact that Cleveland feels he has to spend a month in the D-League to get his conditioning and timing in order has to tell you something about why so many teams passed on this guy. His game wasn't based on exceptional basketball talent like dribbling, ball handling, shooting, passing and scoring. It was based on out muscling, out jumping, and out timing opponents to positions on the court and to the basketball. Everything he has lost in the last two years is going to severely effect that part of his game, the part that made him good.

Its going to take time for him to build up that lost muscle mass, if he can. Its going to take a lot of time to regain his bounce, step and quickness to the ball. Its going to take a long time to get to NBA quality cardiovascular capabilities. Probably more time than he has this season.

Couple that with Sanders desire to be able to earn a guaranteed conteact for next year, and he obviously was a bad fit here. Danny knows he needs immediate help, not help that possibly wouldn't arrive until next year. And he wasn't about to guarantee money for Sanders for next year when he needs that money to attract a difference maker like Griffin or Hayward.

Given all that we know now, I don't see how anyone can be upset about not signing Sanders.Think about it, if signing Sanders meant the possibility you could get nothing out of him this year and that he might make it impossible to land Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward, would you sign him? I wouldn't.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:44 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Ainge does not think we are winning the East this year.   His actions make this clear, no deal at the trade deadline, no free agents signed and nothing that gives up a resource.

Maybe Danny thinks that hoisting NBA Championship banners into the rafters in the future is more important than tossing an Eastern Conference Finals banner into a dumpster now.
Yeah, because signing Sanders will really deplete our treasure chest of assets and hurt our future chances of winning a championship moving forward ::)

Im sick of people using that excuse. I was against using a lot of our future assets for a guy right now like Butler, but signing or trading for big man like Bogut, Nurkic, or Sanders for scraps? That does absolutely nothing to hurt our future while only helping in the short term. Ainge p---ed away several opportunities this year to improve our front court without hurting us in the longterm.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 02:53:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ainge does not think we are winning the East this year.   His actions make this clear, no deal at the trade deadline, no free agents signed and nothing that gives up a resource.

Maybe Danny thinks that hoisting NBA Championship banners into the rafters in the future is more important than tossing an Eastern Conference Finals banner into a dumpster now.
Yeah, because signing Sanders will really deplete our treasure chest of assets and hurt our future chances of winning a championship moving forward ::)

Im sick of people using that excuse. I was against using a lot of our future assets for a guy right now like Butler, but signing or trading for big man like Bogut, Nurkic, or Sanders for scraps? That does absolutely nothing to hurt our future while only helping in the short term. Ainge p---ed away several opportunities this year to improve our front court without hurting us in the longterm.

Agreed, and the only realistic max-contract FA this year will be Hayward.  If he wants to come to BOS, I'm pretty sure he could take a very small pay-cut, if needed. 

And then... Mickey/D-Jax have given no evidence of being NBA players, Young very minimal,  and Rozier not a whole lot. Then there's Zeller, and all the future draft picks. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:59:11 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:50 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
So we all know Danny worked him out right?
But im just curious what did they made him do, shoot threes?, make 20 FT in a row?....I mean he is no offensive machine and he will generate his points via offensive rebounding.
He is and will be basically signed in the short term of plugging our defensive wormhole. Man the middle and alter some shots...that is what you will get from him at this point so in that sense I still think he is better than Mickey.

Will he help the Cavs come playoff time we all don't know that yet but for a guy that was built for something we need..im pretty sure he will get a few rebounds and alter some shots for them right?.  So id like to say Danny failed in this aspect
I respect DAs decision though because Sanders is not what Stevens want but to say Larry Sanders won't help this team is mindbloggling.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nick just pointed out that he lost lots of his muscle mass, of which he had very little while he was playing anyway.  It seems to me that losing all of his muscle while NOT doing any cardio would be very hard to do.  What's wrong with this guy?  He's been talking about a comeback for a year but never made it into the gym or the dining room... or McDonald's? 

If he wanted to be taken seriously by teams like the Celtics he had no excuse not to have his body at least looking decent.  Of course he's not going to be in game shape, but given that he hasn't been burning calories on the court and his metabolism should have slowed a tiny bit it shouldn't have been hard to have his body at least appearing as good as it did while he was playing. 

There is a chance that this guy is a big phony and is hustling the Cavs out of more money.  He quit basketball the first time because he didn't want to put in the work.  And it's obvious that he wasn't putting in the work in preparing himself for this comeback, other than tweeting about it.

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

To be blunt, I think it's all just a pipedream.

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

To be blunt, I think it's all just a pipedream.
CF166 had some not so hidden messages...  :laugh:

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597