Author Topic: What is your Jo Barry Carroll like trade for this year's draft  (Read 2415 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
First let me state I'm not at all suggesting we do something like this as I think Fultz and Ball are pretty darn good prospects, but we are pretty loaded at the PG position.  Maybe it's something Ainge will consider.

To rehash the Carroll trade in case anyone doesn't know it was the first overall pick in Carroll and the 13th pick for the 3rd pick in Kevin Mchale and a 4 year 26 year old center in Robert Parish averaging 17 and 10.  We don't have a 13th pick, but we could easily throw in a future protected first or 2 second round picks or something like that.

The 3rd pick would be easy Tatum or Jackson, the young rising playing from x team is more difficult but you can choose from any of the teams most likely to land in the top half of the lottery.  It could even be a scenario if we land the 2nd pick in exchange for the 4th.

One player that immediately came to mind it seems either you love him or hate type of player in Okofer. Lol Another is Julious Randle.  What can you come up with up?

Again I'm not suggesting we do this but thought it would be an interesting discussion. Sidenote Carroll although no superstar went on to have a solid career averaging 18 and 8.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:54:16 PM by JBcat »

Re: What is your Jo Barry Carroll like trade for this year's draft
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Saric. He could play PF for us. Then as you said take Tatum or Jackson.

Another idea is a deal with Magic for their pick, Gordon, and Vucevic.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The Celtics get the #1 pick, trade it (and change if needed) for: Paul George, Anthony Davis (not very likely), Andre Drummond, or Greek Freak. I would trade #1 and then some for a chance to sign/trade Westbrook.

The reason I picked these guys is b/c I can't see a compelling reason for any of them to resign (beyond $). They all have lacked any significant NBA success, and at some point, might be interested in making a playoff push.

I'm guessing not every player wants to maximize their wealth while continuing to play for less than inspiring teams. All we need is one star that wants to win!

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Hezonja
Bender
Cauley-Stein

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Randle and 3 for 1 would make some sense, but with Russell I'm not sure the Lakers would do that sort of trade.  Similarly, Gordon and 3 for 1 would make sense as well for both teams.  I don't think the Sixers move Saric in that type of trade given how good he has been lately, but Okafor, Covington, and 3 for 1 might make some sense for both teams.  Boston could then move Crowder, Bradley, and BKN 18 for Butler or George (I wouldn't do the Philly trade unless I had this second one already done).  Phoenix has a bunch of young guys, but I'm not sure any of them have shown enough to pair with 3 to move up to 1.  Minnesota would be an interesting possible trade partner as they will have a lottery pick and have a log jam in the backcourt.  Of course while Lavine and 8 for 1 might be ok value, if you are acquiring Lavine you might as well just keep 1 and take Fultz or Ball.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think Randle and 3 for 1 would make some sense, but with Russell I'm not sure the Lakers would do that sort of trade.  Similarly, Gordon and 3 for 1 would make sense as well for both teams.  I don't think the Sixers move Saric in that type of trade given how good he has been lately, but Okafor, Covington, and 3 for 1 might make some sense for both teams.  Boston could then move Crowder, Bradley, and BKN 18 for Butler or George (I wouldn't do the Philly trade unless I had this second one already done).  Phoenix has a bunch of young guys, but I'm not sure any of them have shown enough to pair with 3 to move up to 1.  Minnesota would be an interesting possible trade partner as they will have a lottery pick and have a log jam in the backcourt.  Of course while Lavine and 8 for 1 might be ok value, if you are acquiring Lavine you might as well just keep 1 and take Fultz or Ball.

Minny popped into my head. If you're looking for a close analogue, they are one of the only teams with a Parish-type (established player, possible All-Star) to offer in return. Those players being Wiggins and maybe Lavine.

They could move up to #3, at which point something like Wiggins and #3 for #1 and one of our 1st rounder would work. That would be quite a blockbuster, with Minny getting get a possible franchise PG to pair with Towns. Or Lavine and #3 straight up for #1.

Not advocating for these moves, but the question was about coming up with similar deals.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Minny popped into my head. If you're looking for a close analogue, they are one of the only teams with a Parish-type (established player, possible All-Star) to offer in return. Those players being Wiggins and maybe Lavine.

They could move up to #3, at which point something like Wiggins and #3 for #1 and one of our 1st rounder would work. That would be quite a blockbuster, with Minny getting get a possible franchise PG to pair with Towns. Or Lavine and #3 straight up for #1.

Not advocating for these moves, but the question was about coming up with similar deals.

Wiggins has really stepped his game up this year. I don't even think Minny trades him for Fultz (or another player at #1) straight up.

Lavine is very athletic, but is he a very good basketball player? I'm not sure.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's no Parish available in trade, or McHale available in the draft.

But, I'll say #1 for #3 + Whiteside

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I'd make this deal, and take my chances that Josh Jackson decides to grow up at #3.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'd make this deal, and take my chances that Josh Jackson decides to grow up at #3.

Would you do it of the pick was #4 and Fultz/Ball/Jackson were off the board? I feel like you'd have to, Tatum+Whiteside would be a great "win now and later" type of deal.

It might be hard to make the money work in a deal like that, though (maybe Zeller+#1 pick after signing+filler like Jackson or Rozier for Whiteside+#4 pick before signing so the salary doesn't count).  We could do the deal using just cap space but if that would involve letting Olynyk go (and it looks like it would) then I think Danny would try to figure our matching salaries
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 03:33:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If NO ends up with the 3rd pick (it could happen), offer switch and get Cousins. (I'd ask for Davis but that ain't happening).  That would be the closest thing IMO.

The recent Scal opinion that Danny and the front office, "love, absolutely love" Marielle Fultz has me strongly doubt Danny would be willing to drop from 1 to 3.

I could see him work a trade with LA if, say, we have 1 and LA has 2, and Danny bluffs that he wants Ball. I could see Magic offering us up Randle to switch picks. That we would still get our first choice (in Fultz) and also Randle.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
Do you think we could get Kevin Love for #1 and BKN 18?

I mean, he fetched two #1 picks last time around.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
In case anyone is wondering: yes, my last post was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In case anyone is wondering: yes, my last post was a joke.

Not enough humor around here for my liking.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:35:07 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Would you do it of the pick was #4 and Fultz/Ball/Jackson were off the board? I feel like you'd have to, Tatum+Whiteside would be a great "win now and later" type of deal.

It might be hard to make the money work in a deal like that, though (maybe Zeller+#1 pick after signing+filler like Jackson or Rozier for Whiteside+#4 pick before signing so the salary doesn't count).  We could do the deal using just cap space but if that would involve letting Olynyk go (and it looks like it would) then I think Danny would try to figure our matching salaries

Be hard to say no to #4 Tatum and Whiteside.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."