Author Topic: marcus 3 point stats  (Read 3405 times)

Re: marcus 3 point stats
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Would not edit out end of shot clock shots.  No reason to think he has more thank anyone else.
come on,when he is on 2nd unit with jerebko and kelly at times it looks like hot potato and with jerebko slow release and kelly in timid mode-i believe brad knows marcus can shoot better and that his average is not a major factor-

Isn't it Marcus Smart's responsibility to initiate the offense for the second unit? 

Why would you discount the impact of last second shots on his averages when it's his inability to get the team into good plays that creates their necessity?

I think it's about who he is playing with. Now one example is Olynyk who often times will get a pass and be open but not take the shot, Olynyk will dribble into the defense and have nowhere to go so he kicks it out to Smart with 2 seconds on the shot clock and at least he has the "smarts" to take the shot even if it doesn't go in.

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:09 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Would not edit out end of shot clock shots.  No reason to think he has more thank anyone else.
come on,when he is on 2nd unit with jerebko and kelly at times it looks like hot potato and with jerebko slow release and kelly in timid mode-i believe brad knows marcus can shoot better and that his average is not a major factor-

Isn't it Marcus Smart's responsibility to initiate the offense for the second unit? 

Why would you discount the impact of last second shots on his averages when it's his inability to get the team into good plays that creates their necessity?

I think it's about who he is playing with. Now one example is Olynyk who often times will get a pass and be open but not take the shot, Olynyk will dribble into the defense and have nowhere to go so he kicks it out to Smart with 2 seconds on the shot clock and at least he has the "smarts" to take the shot even if it doesn't go in.
And somehow you think that the Celtics have more of these types of players than other second units?  Seems to me people just looking for excuses.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW, per 82games.com, Smart has taken 14% of his shots in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock.

That is higher than the team average of 11%, but not by any extraordinary amount.   And while his .437 eFG on those shots haven't helped his averages, the far more damaging impact has been the .331 eFG that he has shot on the 21% of his shots taken with 6-10 seconds left on the clock.

Al Horford has actually taken a larger percentage of his shots (17%) with 5 or less left on the clock, and he has shot worse (.416 eFG) on those shots.  But he has shot massively better than Marcus on all his other shots.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I am going to go out on a limb and ask - is Marcus Smart the worst offensive guard in the entire NBA over the past three seasons?

Per 36 numbers over the past three seasons:

2014/15
10.4 PTS
4.1 AST
1.8 TO
2.27 AST/TO Ratio
36.7% FG
33.5% 3PT
64.6% FT

2015/16
12.1 PTS
4.0 AST
1.7 TO
34.8% FG
25.3% 3PT
77.7% FT
2.35 AST/TO Ratio

2016/17
12.7 PTS
5.2 AST
2.4 TO
37.1% FG
28.6% 3PT
80.2% FT
2.29 AST/TO Ratio

With the exception of his free throw shooting (which has improved nicely) I cannot think of a single regular rotation PG (i.e. >20 MPG) who has been worse overall on the offensive end of the floor over a three game stretch as Smart has been these past 3 seasons.   I really can't.  He is that bad. 

I am seriously concerned about Brad Steven's coaching decisions when he has Marcus smart consistently taking as many field goal attempts as Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Kelly Olynyk and Gerald Green.  All guys who are actually capable offensive players.

When Smart is on the court it should be as a defensive role player, playing off the ball.  No playmaking, no shooting - no involvement in the offense whatsoever.  The guy is so bad that it's painful to watch him do anything other then defend, rebound and chase loose balls. 

And before somebody jumps to Brad's defense by saying "brad is the coach, he knows best" - lets not forget that this i the same Brad Stevens who (year by year) insisted on playing Sully for 25 - 30 minutes a game, much to my distress.  The same Sully who is currently unemployed, with on team seemingly willing to touch him with a 10 foot pole. And everybody at the time would say "coach knows best". 

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
FWIW, per 82games.com, Smart has taken 14% of his shots in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock.

That is higher than the team average of 11%, but not by any extraordinary amount.   And while his .437 eFG on those shots haven't helped his averages, the far more damaging impact has been the .331 eFG that he has shot on the 21% of his shots taken with 6-10 seconds left on the clock.

Al Horford has actually taken a larger percentage of his shots (17%) with 5 or less left on the clock, and he has shot worse (.416 eFG) on those shots.  But he has shot massively better than Marcus on all his other shots.

As has probably every guard in the NBA lol

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:06 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Marcus Smart supporrters are going to sit quietly until Marcus has another little run of his then they will come out and tell everybody that they were right and Marcus is a future all star  ;D

No but seriously Marcus has been a good playmaker this year, actually an important one, obviously without IT Marcus's playmaking becomes almost meaningless because his offense is  needed , but he is just not a good offensive player at the moment.

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 07:36:25 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Im a Smart fan, but honestly I think he's being misused offensively.
He is not a point guard, but does have playmaking ability and should be considered a secondary playmaker at all times.
To see how to maximize Smarts potential CBS only needs to watch early DWade film... aspects of which are coming more into his game now with the postups. My biggest concen is that  Smart doesn't play within his skillset offensively and almost seem to want to prove he is not a bad shooter. ET understood this well and was effective as a mid range player

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Im a Smart fan, but honestly I think he's being misused offensively.
He is not a point guard, but does have playmaking ability and should be considered a secondary playmaker at all times.
To see how to maximize Smarts potential CBS only needs to watch early DWade film... aspects of which are coming more into his game now with the postups. My biggest concen is that  Smart doesn't play within his skillset offensively and almost seem to want to prove he is not a bad shooter. ET understood this well and was effective as a mid range player
Dwayne Wade?  Really?