Author Topic: marcus 3 point stats  (Read 3407 times)

marcus 3 point stats
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
is there anybody that can edit out smarts end of quarter heaves and 24 second clock running out shots
 also i believe he sees the court with nothing available at times much earlier than time clock
also he takes into consideration jerebko and kelly hesitations to shoot or create
so he is the option,
 even if it seems forced or poor shot selection
sometimes the coverage and other teams personal make time on clock  irreverent

Re: marcus 3 point stats
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm satisfied with Smart's current 3-point shot selection.  If he can just increase his 3-pt shooting % even a moderate amount, he will be in very good shape next year.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
is there anybody that can edit out smarts end of quarter heaves and 24 second clock running out shots
 also i believe he sees the court with nothing available at times much earlier than time clock
also he takes into consideration jerebko and kelly hesitations to shoot or create
so he is the option,

He has 7 of these heaves on the year, not sure about the desperation attempts as a result of an expiring shot clock.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
so he is the option,

He has 7 of these heaves on the year, not sure about the desperation attempts as a result of an expiring shot clock.

I don't know if its just me but I see Marcus shooting the ball with 5 or less seconds to go on the shot clock, most of the time. He only turns into chucker mode when we have a huge amount of lead.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
not sure if anybody noticed, but since Bradley's injury, i think Brad's been designing a little more offense for Smart, like post up games, I'm seeing at least one or two a game now at least vs one or two every few games. His 3 pt % seems to have improved, but I am not sure how much. He seems more comfortable driving a little bit now. What is his stats since the all star game? 10-12 ppg?

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
not sure if anybody noticed, but since Bradley's injury, i think Brad's been designing a little more offense for Smart, like post up games, I'm seeing at least one or two a game now at least vs one or two every few games. His 3 pt % seems to have improved, but I am not sure how much. He seems more comfortable driving a little bit now. What is his stats since the all star game? 10-12 ppg?

Pre All Star: 10.4 ppg 3.9 rpg 4.6 apg
Post All Star: 12.7 ppg 4.3 rpg 3.3 apg

Source
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
so he is the option,
good questions rollie.

this info is a bit dated now, but at around the all star break smart had 6 "heaves" (half court desperation shots), the most on the team. his 3 point percentage at that time was 30.1%. if we subtracted the heaves, it rose to 30.9%.

so, the heaves dont help, but they dont make a dramatic difference either.

EDIT: i just read eddie's mention of 7 heaves on the season now. thanks for the update. so, again, not a major factor on his shooting percentage.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Pre All Star: 10.4 ppg 3.9 rpg 4.6 apg
Post All Star: 12.7 ppg 4.3 rpg 3.3 apg

Source

thanks!

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
so he is the option,
good questions rollie.

this info is a bit dated now, but at around the all star break smart had 6 "heaves" (half court desperation shots), the most on the team. his 3 point percentage at that time was 30.1%. if we subtracted the heaves, it rose to 30.9%.

so, the heaves dont help, but they dont make a dramatic difference either.

EDIT: i just read eddie's mention of 7 heaves on the season now. thanks for the update. so, again, not a major factor on his shooting percentage.

Basketball Reference's shooting distance numbers can be a bit iffy, so take that with a grain of salt.  You'd need to watch the end of each quarter to really see how many he's had.  That said, I'd agree that they don't have a real significant effect on his 3p% for the season.  He's definitely taken more heat check long threes than he has heaves
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Would not edit out end of shot clock shots.  No reason to think he has more thank anyone else.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Would not edit out end of shot clock shots.  No reason to think he has more thank anyone else.
come on,when he is on 2nd unit with jerebko and kelly at times it looks like hot potato and with jerebko slow release and kelly in timid mode-i believe brad knows marcus can shoot better and that his average is not a major factor-

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

I would think that you would look at how many end of clock shots he has compared to others before you edit them out (and you should just normalize it to an average amount of late shot-clock shots, not remove them completely)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
His overall 3p% is low (around 30%), but he's shooting 43% from the corners. On heaves, yes he has 7 this year but as previous comments mentioned he's often responsible for creating offense late in the shot clock with IT on the bench. Those don't show up in the stats other than the overall 3p%.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 12:50:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I would think that you would look at how many end of clock shots he has compared to others before you edit them out (and you should just normalize it to an average amount of late shot-clock shots, not remove them completely)
Sure.  Besides, who says end of shot clock threes are worse shots anyway?  It would be amusing if he was doing no worse than his normal percentage on those (he could be doing even better).

And no, I don't think he shoots more of those than the average player at his position. 

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
come on,when he is on 2nd unit with jerebko and kelly at times it looks like hot potato and with jerebko slow release and kelly in timid mode-i believe brad knows marcus can shoot better and that his average is not a major factor-

Isn't it Marcus Smart's responsibility to initiate the offense for the second unit? 

Why would you discount the impact of last second shots on his averages when it's his inability to get the team into good plays that creates their necessity?