Author Topic: My trip to Boston  (Read 2453 times)

My trip to Boston
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Hi everyone,

In less than a month I will be traveling to Boston (and New-York) for the first time of my life. I've got tickets for the Celtics vs. Bucks game (the last of the regular season) and I have a few questions I hope people from Boston could answer :)

About the game, is there any chance for me to get near the players ? Maybe take a pic, have my jersey signed etc. I don't know if players are available and since this might be my only time visiting the garden, I want to to everything I can to have great memories... (I don't mind coming super early to the garden)

Now, regarding the city in general, are there places you would recommend me ? I'm always looking for a typical restaurant when I travel. In Boston I would be happy to find a nice Irish pub with friendly people to enjoy some beer :D I'm hoping you guys can give me a few ideas that won't be in every touristic book, something to see or do, that is not well known...

Thank you already for all your answers, I hope I will have a great time in this city I've always dreamed to see. :)

Re: My trip to Boston
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I live in the city, and one thing I reccomend is taking the duck boat tour.  That way you get a feel for the city, and can explore from there.  As far as restaurants there are a million of them.  The North End is close to the Garden with tons of Italian restaurants, and many people will get a pregame meal at the original Pizzeria Regina's. 

For bars there are so many to choose from. 🤔  It is a little touristy but the Black Rose is a nice Irish bar.  There are also several bars close to the Garden.  You can't go wrong with most of them, but "The Greatest bar" has 4 levels so there is a decent amount of room to pregame.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Highly recommend one of the Irish bars, and there are several not far from TD Garden --  Hennessey's, Tap Trailhouse, Union Oyster House, a few others lined up near Fanuel Hall and Haymarket which are also walking distance to the Garden and are a big part of Boston history/culture. However, avoid the bars right near or on Causeway St because they are backed the hour before game time.

Enjoy!

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline Rainmaker

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • The Truth
Highly recommend one of the Irish bars, and there are several not far from TD Garden --  Hennessey's, Union Oyster House, a few others lined up near Fanuel Hall and Haymarket which are also walking distance to the Garden.

Enjoy!

If you do not walk the Freedom Trail you will have missed out on alot of walking.

Getting your picture with the statue of Red Auerbach (you can rub his head for luck, just like he's Daniel Boone's left shoe or Robert E. Lee's horse -Traveller) and Larry Joe Bird's sneakers is worth the trip to Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market. Not far from there is the Boston Aquariam.

Newbury Street for getting that overpriced but very trendy pair of jeans. Cool sights.

Sheer Madness for the longest running play-whodunnit.

Back Bay- off of Storrow Drive for your early morning run-you can cross over into Cambridge.

Prudential Building- so you can see the Hub of the Universe. Which will seem very small when you get to NYC.

You should go to 4 Yawkey Way and sing "Sweet Caroline" take a picture of the Green Monster.

Boston's Museum of Science-great trip.

Otherwise, you should play Fallout 4 for the post apocalyptic version of the area.
Love never fails. Character never quits. And with patience and persistence, dreams do come true.
-Pistol Pete Maravich-

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Back Bay has a lot to see and enjoy.  worked in the area for 6 years before my company moved to the middle of nowhere in Charlestown.  if you have the time, definitely make the rounds there.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown

Otherwise, you should play Fallout 4 for the post apocalyptic version of the area.

Haha thanks :p Thanks already everyone

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Back Bay has a lot to see and enjoy.  worked in the area for 6 years before my company moved to the middle of nowhere in Charlestown.  if you have the time, definitely make the rounds there.

Wow, what a stark contrast in perspectives.  LOL!

Where I consider "the middle of nowhere" there are few, if any people.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Highly recommend one of the Irish bars, and there are several not far from TD Garden --  Hennessey's, Union Oyster House, a few others lined up near Fanuel Hall and Haymarket which are also walking distance to the Garden.

Enjoy!

If you do not walk the Freedom Trail you will have missed out on alot of walking.

Getting your picture with the statue of Red Auerbach (you can rub his head for luck, just like he's Daniel Boone's left shoe or Robert E. Lee's horse -Traveller) and Larry Joe Bird's sneakers is worth the trip to Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market. Not far from there is the Boston Aquariam.

Newbury Street for getting that overpriced but very trendy pair of jeans. Cool sights.

Back Bay- off of Storrow Drive for your early morning run-you can cross over into Cambridge.

Prudential Building- so you can see the Hub of the Universe. Which will seem very small when you get to NYC.

You should go to 4 Yawkey Way and sing "Sweet Caroline" take a picture of the Green Monster.

Great suggestions. When do the Duck Tours start?

Also, eat at Grill 23.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »

Offline BlountTrauma30

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'd cosign heading to the North End for a meal at some point. You can't go wrong there, but Nico and Taranta are a couple of my favorites. The South End is also a nice area to explore for dinner and has a diverse range of options (and JJ Foley's is a good pub there that has a long heritage).

For Irish pubs, I agree about the Black Rose for its liveliness, or if you want to go off the beaten path for the best beer bar in Boston (and definitely not touristy), check out Publick House in Brookline. Harvard Sq. has Grafton St. if you want to explore that area. If you end up in the mood for cocktails, Drink in Fort Point can't be beat, as it was named the world's best. The Liberty Hotel is a unique spot, because it used to be a jail. The Seaport is the new hot area and has some nice spots like the Harpoon Brewery, Legal Harborside (especially good when it's nice out), Strega, etc.

For autographs, your best bet is probably to stand near the Celtics tunnel before or after the game. There are usually a bunch of other fans crowding around there, so you'll need to jockey for a good position. In the past, standing near the entrance before the game was a strategy but I'm not sure where the players come in now because of the construction.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Freedom Trail is awesome, and so is Regina's!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Enjoy the city! TP! 8)
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Enjoy!

Also, eat at Grill 23.
Skip the Duck Tours, seriously.  Boston is the greatest city to see by foot.  Lots of great walking suggestions here!

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Enjoy!

Also, eat at Grill 23.
Skip the Duck Tours, seriously.  Boston is the greatest city to see by foot.  Lots of great walking suggestions here!

I like the Duck Tours, and enjoyed them even after living in the city. They're fun and informative. Spending 90 minutes on a tour doesn't preclude walking around and getting a more in depth view.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:11 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
Nice, thank you again everyone. I feel like I've got lots to do now :p And it makes me comfortable to have opinion from people who actually live there. Maybe some of you will be in the crowd for the match against the Bucks ! :D