Author Topic: Predict Jaylen Brown's Stats in 2017-2018  (Read 13728 times)

Re: Predict Jaylen Brown's Stats in 2017-2018
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
1. Jaylen can actually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. That's not something that's typical in a 3 & D guy.

2. Those guys generally dont play at the rim as much as Brown does.

3. They typically arent creators or initiators on the break. They are the guy waiting at the 3pt line for the shot.

That's the hope, but for now there is no evidence to suggest that he can do any of these things consistently.  He is definitely a willing ball-handler and has some skills, but he still turns it over at least as often as he gets something productive done.

This is all true but as I pointed out, most 3 & D guys show no signs of this.

Right, that's why his floor is a 3 & D guy, if you assume the hints of handle and slashing never become anything more consistent. The ceiling is higher.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
, if you assume the hints of handle and slashing never become anything more consistent. The ceiling is higher.

He will be better once, he quits thinking of what he is going to do while going to the hole instead of just doing it.

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Now this is from January 11 before Brown started to really come on and it is Bleacher Report, but they had Brown going to the Wolves at 5.  Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Bender, and then Brown

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2685617-re-drafting-the-2016-nba-draft-class-at-the-midseason-mark
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
1. Jaylen can actually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. That's not something that's typical in a 3 & D guy.

2. Those guys generally dont play at the rim as much as Brown does.

3. They typically arent creators or initiators on the break. They are the guy waiting at the 3pt line for the shot.

That's the hope, but for now there is no evidence to suggest that he can do any of these things consistently.  He is definitely a willing ball-handler and has some skills, but he still turns it over at least as often as he gets something productive done.

This is all true but as I pointed out, most 3 & D guys show no signs of this.

Right, that's why his floor is a 3 & D guy, if you assume the hints of handle and slashing never become anything more consistent. The ceiling is higher.

I understand that but I dont agree with it. At worse I think he is like Aaron Affallo with better handles.

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Now this is from January 11 before Brown started to really come on and it is Bleacher Report, but they had Brown going to the Wolves at 5.  Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Bender, and then Brown

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2685617-re-drafting-the-2016-nba-draft-class-at-the-midseason-mark

Poor job by the writer on this. He is pulling up quotes from preseason to justify where to play Brown. It was a mistake to play him at the 4 but if I remember correctly he hasnt played at that spot since like late November early December well before this article was written.

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Poor job by the writer on this. He is pulling up quotes from preseason to justify where to play Brown. It was a mistake to play him at the 4 but if I remember correctly he hasnt played at that spot since like late November early December well before this article was written.
Yea this was kind of weak when it was written but looks downright foolish now. Bender at 4?
Wow

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Yea this was kind of weak when it was written but looks downright foolish now. Bender at 4?
Wow

I didnt look at the rankings much just more what was said about the players. Im not sure where the Brown can play small ball 4 idea came from. Yes he is big but I never saw that. Anyways Im glad we are off that project

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wow

I didnt look at the rankings much just more what was said about the players. Im not sure where the Brown can play small ball 4 idea came from. Yes he is big but I never saw that. Anyways Im glad we are off that project
I don't think he should play the 4 either, but I think the notion arose because Brown is a strong guy that isn't perceived as a great shooter or ball handler. 

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
hard to see where that playing time is going to come from unless he blows Crowder out of the water in training camp. He'll have to average 14 points or higher and 6 boards or higher in 30 mins for CBS to not look retarded making that change to the starting lineup. I don't see him getting numbers like that at 15 mins a game... something has got to give at the top of the lineup to make way for Jaylen.

I could see Crowder starting at PF with Jaylen at SF if Jaylen starts to make a leap.  Not ideal, but unless we add a top PF it would give us a lot more talent on the floor.

Tough to say who our starting PF will be next year, though, considering that we the only bigs under contract for next season should be Horford and Zizic

here's another thing wasn't this man, Alcernio Horford suppose to be our starting PF going forward? Crowder can play the 4 just like Smart can play the 3, in spurts. Leaving them out there out of position for too long and they'll start to get targeted by opposing coaches.

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Wow

Most mocks at the time had Bender at 3, so you could say they were better than most on that account.

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Is Jaylen more Kawhi or more Butler?

Or does his game remind you of someone else's game?

Myself, I think more Kawhi.

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wow

Most mocks at the time had Bender at 3, so you could say they were better than most on that account.
except this wasn't a mock, it was re-draft on January 11 and on January 11, Bender should not have been that high.  Even knowing he was very young and very raw, I think Bender has failed to live up even to the minimal expectations he had.  Ingram has shown plenty of flashes of why he went that high and of what his ceiling is, even now Bender still has not and that is an extra 2 months. 

Of course that doesn't mean Bender won't some day live up to the potential, but I can't see how anyone would have him ahead of Brown on January 11 or today in a re-draft.  Even if you were very high on Bender, I just don't see it.

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Wow

except this wasn't a mock, it was re-draft on January 11 and on January 11, Bender should not have been that high.  Even knowing he was very young and very raw, I think Bender has failed to live up even to the minimal expectations he had.  Ingram has shown plenty of flashes of why he went that high and of what his ceiling is, even now Bender still has not and that is an extra 2 months. 

Of course that doesn't mean Bender won't some day live up to the potential, but I can't see how anyone would have him ahead of Brown on January 11 or today in a re-draft.  Even if you were very high on Bender, I just don't see it.

Agreed

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Jaylen Brown's predicted 2017-18 stats:

56 MPG
127 PPG
37 APG
98 RPG
46 SPG
22 BPG
0 TOV
100 FG%
100 3P%
100 FT%

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd be happy to see a progression.  He already seems to be pretty solid as a shooter as a rookie, putting up 45% FG, 35% 3pt, 50.7% eFG and 6.6 ppg in just 16.9 mpg.

In his sophomore season I'd like to see his usage rate, efficiency, and minutes increase.

So I'd like to see say:
47% FG, 37% 3pt, 53% eFG, 15 ppg, and 25 mpg.

That's going to be my prediction.  As long as Brown gets the minutes he should turn into a very good player and contributor for us on the wing both offensively and defensively.