Author Topic: Predict Jaylen Brown's Stats in 2017-2018  (Read 13743 times)

Re: Predict Jaylen Brown's Stats in 2017-2018
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Just listened to Dunc'd On...they redrafted the 2016 NBA draft.

1 - Ben Simmons
2 - Jamal Murray
3 - Jaylen Brown (with Leroux putting Hernangomez in the same tier)

I can see why Simmons would still be #1...but Jamal at #2 over Jaylen?
Murray is younger than Brown and has played pretty well lately as well.  Nice shooting touch (with a more proven shooting pedigree).  I'd rather have Brown than Murray, but I don't find that to be totally crazy either. 

I still think Ingram goes #2 in a re-draft.  Everyone knew he was going to take a lot of time to develop so the fact that he has struggled a bit (especially on that team) shouldn't surprise anyone.

I fear that Ingram has a BIG hill to climb...has to improve skills AND his body.
Ingram has his 2PT% well above 50% in March (still a poor 3 point shooter though his February he was at 35.5%).  He is averaging 11 ppg in March and that includes the goose egg against Boston.  Rebounding alright, passing alright.  He is playing a lot of minutes, which also messes with your efficiency (though increases your totals obviously).  Ingram has not harmed his potential ceiling this year, which is still higher than Brown or anyone else not named Simmons from that draft. Thus, I believe he still goes #2 in a re-draft.

Anyone who watched the LA-Boston game last week is laughing out loud when they read the above bolded statement.  Provocative humor.

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As far as stats go for next year, floor is 11/ 5, ceiling is 14/6. Scoring and shooting has improved rapidly, so who knows what he can do with a full offseason/more time in Brad's system.

I don't think the floor/ceiling of a player can be so close. There are many what-ifs that can enhance this range, especially time on the floor depending on development, team composition and goals, etc.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

1 - Ben Simmons
2 - Jamal Murray

Murray is younger than Brown and has played pretty well lately as well.  Nice shooting touch (with a more proven shooting pedigree).  I'd rather have Brown than Murray, but I don't find that to be totally crazy either. 

I still think Ingram goes #2 in a re-draft.  Everyone knew he was going to take a lot of time to develop so the fact that he has struggled a bit (especially on that team) shouldn't surprise anyone.

I fear that Ingram has a BIG hill to climb...has to improve skills AND his body.
Ingram has his 2PT% well above 50% in March (still a poor 3 point shooter though his February he was at 35.5%).  He is averaging 11 ppg in March and that includes the goose egg against Boston.  Rebounding alright, passing alright.  He is playing a lot of minutes, which also messes with your efficiency (though increases your totals obviously).  Ingram has not harmed his potential ceiling this year, which is still higher than Brown or anyone else not named Simmons from that draft. Thus, I believe he still goes #2 in a re-draft.

Anyone who watched the LA-Boston game last week is laughing out loud when they read the above bolded statement.  Provocative humor.
come on, Ingram had a bad game, but 1 game does not a season make.  I mean a week before that he put up 22 against the Spurs.  He went for 16 on 54% against the Pelicans the game after that. 

Brown scored 3 points against the Warriors a few games back.  It doesn't mean you should use that game to project Brown as out of the league. 

Ingram is almost a full year younger than Brown.  He has a higher ceiling than Brown, just as he did at the draft.  It certainly doesn't mean Ingram will end up a better player than Brown, as Ingram might not get much better than he is now, while Brown might end up in the HOF some day. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
What are Jaylen Brown's statistics next year? You might as well ask how many smiles are in a sunrise, or how stories are in a campfire. Jaylen Brown is the future, don't constrain him with "numbers".

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Better than Kris Dunn's.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

1 - Ben Simmons
2 - Jamal Murray

come on, Ingram had a bad game, but 1 game does not a season make.  I mean a week before that he put up 22 against the Spurs.  He went for 16 on 54% against the Pelicans the game after that. 

Brown scored 3 points against the Warriors a few games back.  It doesn't mean you should use that game to project Brown as out of the league. 

Ingram is almost a full year younger than Brown.  He has a higher ceiling than Brown, just as he did at the draft.  It certainly doesn't mean Ingram will end up a better player than Brown, as Ingram might not get much better than he is now, while Brown might end up in the HOF some day.
I'm not sure how it can be said that Ingram has a higher ceiling.  Why?  Because he's taller? 

Jaylen's ceiling is as high as anyone's.  Freak athlete, great body, great aggressiveness, becoming confident in his 3point shot, potential to be a great defender, a smart guy who is hard worker and who has already improved a tremendous amount since he was drafted.  The sky is the limit.

Ingram is still figuring things out, he still could be great.  But he looked far better in college than in the NBA so far, which is to be expected.  But Jaylen has been the opposite... looked pretty bad in college (I was upset when he was drafted) and has become a much better player in the NBA than he was in college.

Also, Ingram didn't go before Brown because he has a higher upside.  He went before Brown because there was a large school of thought that Brown was a great athlete who could dunk, but that he was someone who's basketball skills sucked.  He supposedly couldn't shoot, he had the worst assist/turnover ratio in the nation last year.  Everybody knew Ingram has skills.  Not everybody thought Jalen had them or could develop them.  Ingram was by far the surer thing.  Brown has higher upside I believe.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:20:12 PM by moiso »

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
One good point from the Dunc'd on podcast: Jaylen has definitely raised his floor over the past few games, but perhaps not as much his ceiling. 

His shooting and defensive improvements mean that he probably has a definite future as a 3&D role guy.  He's going to hit "I don't feel bad about starting this person on a good team" at the absolute worst.

He hasn't (yet) displayed the 1:1 creation capabilities you'd want to see from a true star though.  Part of that is because we're a playoff team and aren't going to let a 20-year-old rookie just put the ball on the floor and go to town, but I need to see a little bit more before I start throwing around the words "star potential."

Great words from a great man

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
One good point from the Dunc'd on podcast: Jaylen has definitely raised his floor over the past few games, but perhaps not as much his ceiling. 

His shooting and defensive improvements mean that he probably has a definite future as a 3&D role guy.  He's going to hit "I don't feel bad about starting this person on a good team" at the absolute worst.

He hasn't (yet) displayed the 1:1 creation capabilities you'd want to see from a true star though.  Part of that is because we're a playoff team and aren't going to let a 20-year-old rookie just put the ball on the floor and go to town, but I need to see a little bit more before I start throwing around the words "star potential."

I dont see the 3 & D thing for the following reasons.

1) Jaylen can actually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. That's not something that's typical in a 3 & D guy.

2. Those guys generally dont play at the rim as much as Brown does.

3. They typically arent creators or initiators on the break. They are the guy waiting at the 3pt line for the shot.

Crowder is a great example of a 3 & D guy. Someone with limited dribbling ability, can play great D, has to move without the ball if a 3 isnt there, finishes but rarely starts a break. That's Crowder not Brown. At this point Brown is in between skills of a star and a 3 & D guy.

The biggest hole in Jaylen's game is shooting off the dribble. If he ever becomes good at this (I would rate him as poor on this right now) then he will easily become a star because he has the basics of the rest of the game.

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
1. Jaylen can actually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. That's not something that's typical in a 3 & D guy.

3. They typically arent creators or initiators on the break. They are the guy waiting at the 3pt line for the shot.

That's the hope, but for now there is no evidence to suggest that he can do any of these things consistently.  He is definitely a willing ball-handler and has some skills, but he still turns it over at least as often as he gets something productive done.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
hard to see where that playing time is going to come from unless he blows Crowder out of the water in training camp. He'll have to average 14 points or higher and 6 boards or higher in 30 mins for CBS to not look retarded making that change to the starting lineup. I don't see him getting numbers like that at 15 mins a game... something has got to give at the top of the lineup to make way for Jaylen.

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
hard to see where that playing time is going to come from unless he blows Crowder out of the water in training camp. He'll have to average 14 points or higher and 6 boards or higher in 30 mins for CBS to not look retarded making that change to the starting lineup. I don't see him getting numbers like that at 15 mins a game... something has got to give at the top of the lineup to make way for Jaylen.

Jaylen can play either 2 or 3, Crowder 3 or 4, so they can play together, plus injuries. The real log jam is going to be in the back court.  Lots of lineup changes to come imo.

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I could see Crowder starting at PF with Jaylen at SF if Jaylen starts to make a leap.  Not ideal, but unless we add a top PF it would give us a lot more talent on the floor.

Tough to say who our starting PF will be next year, though, considering that we the only bigs under contract for next season should be Horford and Zizic
I'm bitter.

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Better than Kris Dunn's.
I'm glad that most of the people who thought we should have picked Dunn seemed to have changed their tune.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

1 - Ben Simmons
2 - Jamal Murray

Ingram has his 2PT% well above 50% in March (still a poor 3 point shooter though his February he was at 35.5%).  He is averaging 11 ppg in March and that includes the goose egg against Boston.  Rebounding alright, passing alright.  He is playing a lot of minutes, which also messes with your efficiency (though increases your totals obviously).  Ingram has not harmed his potential ceiling this year, which is still higher than Brown or anyone else not named Simmons from that draft.  Thus, I believe he still goes #2 in a re-draft.
I predict Ingram will never live up to the potential reflected in him being chosen #2.  I don't think he has the BBIQ and obviously has a long way to go to build his body to compete in the NBA.

I do like some of the rookies we have seen lately play against the C's including Denzel Valentine and Jamal Murray.  I would take either of them right now instead of Ingram.

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
1. Jaylen can actually put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. That's not something that's typical in a 3 & D guy.

That's the hope, but for now there is no evidence to suggest that he can do any of these things consistently.  He is definitely a willing ball-handler and has some skills, but he still turns it over at least as often as he gets something productive done.

This is all true but as I pointed out, most 3 & D guys show no signs of this.