Author Topic: Ainge lazy on the trade deadline?  (Read 3323 times)

Ainge lazy on the trade deadline?
« on: March 11, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ok , I get it he didn't want to give up potential top 2 picks for the 2017, 2018 drafts plus Brown for Butler or PG13 ...  maybe these teams were not interested in trading these players anyways

BUT

you have too many other draft picks,  plus Johnson , Zeller salaries (tailor made for trading purposes),  James Young (uncertain future with the team) ....and you couldn't get one or two guys (bigs) to help the team finish off the season strong/for the playoffs??

Recently most of the games the Celts lost to, were against teams that have one or two big players that were the difference makers.... 

Just hoarding all of these non lotto picks/assets ........... can someone explain? 

Re: Ainge lazy on the trade deadline?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Saying Ainge was "lazy" would imply he made no effort (i.e. entertained zero trade discussions).  That clearly wasn't the case.

Ainge may have over-valued his assets, may have been unreasonable in his offering price, or may have placed greater importance on the future as opposed to the present, but lazy he was not.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Saying Ainge was "lazy" would imply he made no effort (i.e. entertained zero trade discussions).  That clearly wasn't the case.

Ainge may have over-valued his assets, may have been unreasonable in his offering price, or may have placed greater importance on the future as opposed to the present, but lazy he was not.

you sure?

Package  Johnson, Zeller, Young and all the 2017 2nds (or a future non lotto 1st)

and he could not obtain a decent front court player that can somewhat neutralize the likes of Jordan, Jokic, Valenciuanas etc. ??

If keeping all the 2017 2nds  is not considered 'hoarding' then what is?

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Isn't that assessment just as speculative? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This. Phil Jackson might be a "lazy" GM. Ainge isn't.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It's pretty clear Ainge believes this roster cannot contend this season for a title. Spending assets to get a bench player or two wouldn't matter, and would be wasted. He has his sites set on adding two stars. He tried to do that at the trade deadline but the asking prices were unreasonable. He has plans to do that this summer, and he saved his cap space and assets to do so.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not unless you ignore every media report about Danny constantly being involved in negotiations.

The man may have a different vision than many of us, but he's not mailing it in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not really. Executives that get oaid million of dollars a year are never lazy when it comes to their jobs if they want to be successful and keep doing their jobs. Ainge is one of the bedt and most successful GMs in the league. There is no way he was lazy about this trade season. He just didn't find a deal he wanted to make. For what reasons, we will probably never know.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Not unless you ignore every media report about Danny constantly being involved in negotiations.

The man may have a different vision than many of us, but he's not mailing it in.

I don't think Ainge was or ever has been lazy.  But countering with he "may have overvalued assets" or "was unreasonable in his offers" is every bit as speculative.  One doesn't hold more water than the other.

In my unfounded speculation, Ainge is getting too cute in his rebuild, or has unrealistic expectations for the future.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I don't think Ainge was or ever has been lazy.  But countering with he "may have overvalued assets" or "was unreasonable in his offers" is every bit as speculative.  One doesn't hold more water than the other.

In my unfounded speculation, Ainge is getting too cute in his rebuild, or has unrealistic expectations for the future.

Yes, I was speculating as to the reasons Ainge decided not to make any moves at the trade deadline, thus the use of the phrase "may have", which by nature is speculative.

I am not speculating as to whether Ainge was lazy or not.  Ainge put in the effort, it was well reported in the media, he was not lazy in going about his job.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think Ainge didn't really care about this year. He must have looked at a healthy Cavs team at the time, and decided to let this year die on the vine. I'm not saying "he's lazy" he just didn't have a chance to make a steal, like the IT Deal, or the Crowder deal, and didn't want to trade sideways.

As a Celtic fan, I need the C's to at least get out of the first round...anything less will be disappointment in my book. And I'm afraid it will discourage top tier free agents from seriously considering us as a destination. 

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just think it's lazy/not prepared or whatever

because if you were aiming high and missed (Butler, PG13)....why not have secondary trade situations ready

I refuse to believe Johnson, Zeller, Young, all 2017 2nds (and worst case a non lotto future 1st) couldn't return you a PF/C talent that is at least an upgrade over Johnson/Zeller

Heck i would love to have Mason Plumlee neutralizing Jordan, Valenciunas, Gortat etc.   this could mean 3,4 extra wins, higher seed,  longer chance to remain in the playoffs

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
There is no way he was lazy about this trade season. He just didn't find a deal he wanted to make. For what reasons, we will probably never know.

Nailed it.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

because if you were aiming high and missed (Butler, PG13)....why not have secondary trade situations ready

I refuse to believe Johnson, Zeller, Young, all 2017 2nds (and worst case a non lotto future 1st) couldn't return you a PF/C talent that is at least an upgrade over Johnson/Zeller

Heck i would love to have Mason Plumlee neutralizing Jordan, Valenciunas, Gortat etc.   this could mean 3,4 extra wins, higher seed,  longer chance to remain in the playoffs

I think you arent taking into account what was actually traded for those players. Draft picks were 2017 which the Cs dont have. I dont remember anyone being traded for future picks so unless someone wants our bench players (btw, the players you listed could not be traded for what you are looking for. too much salary) then I dont see where the trade could be made.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Nobody is really arguing against that. Most people agree that Ainge could have easily gotten a PF/C for a non-lottery future 1st and Zeller, Young etc. The argument is that it wasnt worth it, because it wouldn't get us past the Cavs, and would cost us our cap space this summer, all for someone who would not be as good as Zizic who we already have on a rookie salary and doesnt cost any assets.