Author Topic: LaMarcus Aldridge out indefinitely!  (Read 1488 times)

LaMarcus Aldridge out indefinitely!
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The Spurs announced on Saturday that LaMarcus Aldridge will be out for an indefinite period due to an occurrence of a minor heart arrhythmia.

This is devastating to LaMarcus & the Spurs. With all these injuries to the top seeds it makes the playoffs legitimately wide open.

Re: LaMarcus Aldridge out indefinitely!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not acquiring butler or George looms large now.

Chances at a title are rare. We could have had one this year.

I still trust that prices became prohibitive here, but man.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Man, that sucks for Aldridge! Celtics fans know that heart arrhythmias are no joke. I hope it really is minor and that he has no long lasting effects.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

unless you assume that ainge is clairvoyant i am not sure how this remark holds up. were the celtcis to make a major trade because maybe, possible, conceivably leading players on other playoff teams might be hurt? i just dont see the logic here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Are you kidding me...

Would you have given up 2017 BKN Pick + 3 of Smart/Brown/Crowder/Bradley for PG13?

Would you have given up 2017+2018 BKN Picks + Crowder + Bradley for Butler?

That's about the asking prices for each guy. Glad no major trade was made.

Wish we did a minor move to help bench scoring/rebounding though, but that's different.

Also PG13 is probably Laker-bound after 2018. Not worth pouring assets to get him then.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Still don't blame him for not doing a bad George or Butler deal, but it's becoming more and more apparent how much of a failure it was on Danny's part to not upgrade the roster in some way. I still truly believe that Ibaka would've given us a legit shot at beating Cleveland. If Durant and Aldridge both end up being out for the rest of the way, this is going to be a huge missed opportunity.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

unless you assume that ainge is clairvoyant i am not sure how this remark holds up. were the celtcis to make a major trade because maybe, possible, conceivably leading players on other playoff teams might be hurt? i just dont see the logic here.
Yeah.

It's not often that you are gonna have a core as good as ours and a top tier as thin as 2017s.

I'm not sure it's likely that Brown/'17/'18 is ever as good as Thomas/Horford/butler-George

You acquire that third star and you put yourself in the mix. Maybe it's a couple injuries. Maybe it's an uncharacteristic slump from a Lebron or a steph, maybe it's a random little hot steak

But you put yourself in position to win a title should a lot of things fall your way.

Now we didn't make those moves and lo and behold everything is falling our way.

I wrote that I do trust ainge. I think the prices got to the point where they hurt our future enough to not make the small chance at a ring worth it.

It's just tough to see everything falling into place for the hypothetical world where Ainge took the plunge and when all in for the next 3 years.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Are you kidding me...

Would you have given up 2017 BKN Pick + 3 of Smart/Brown/Crowder/Bradley for PG13?

Wish we did a minor move to help bench scoring/rebounding though, but that's different.

Also PG13 is probably Laker-bound after 2018. Not worth pouring assets to get him then.
We don't know the asking price and I wrote that I did believe the price got to high and that's why we didn't make the deal.

I'm not saying Danny did wrong, just that his nine-actions may have cost us a really good chance at title.

^^^That's worded too harshly. It's kinda like Ainge went to mega millions with his set of lucky numbers but then realized the odds weren't in his favor. Then he goes home and watches his numbers get called out one by one. He made the right decision but it's still painful to watch those numbers get called knowing you almost had the winning ticket.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Are you kidding me...

We don't know the asking price and I wrote that I did believe the price got to high and that's why we didn't make the deal.

I'm not saying Danny did wrong, just that his nine-actions may have cost us a really good chance at title.

^^^That's worded too harshly. It's kinda like Ainge went to mega millions with his set of lucky numbers but then realized the odds weren't in his favor. Then he goes home and watches his numbers get called out one by one. He made the right decision but it's still painful to watch those numbers get called knowing you almost had the winning ticket.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound that harsh lol.

But I still think at the end of the day the price for either was just too expensive.

If it was not then we would have Butler here by now.

I also think PG13 with all his "Lakers talk" doesn't help because why would Ainge give up assets including BKN Pick just to see him leave for the Lakers in 1.5 years. Yuck.

And frankly, no one saw KD's injury coming, or Aldridge's, or even Love for long term.

Yeah it definitely hurts seeing it happen and seeing we did nothing, but to me the mistake was not even making a minor move. Toronto got Tucker+Ibaka and they are making a difference. WAS added Bojan. Those aren't blockbuster moves but they are still helping especially with key guys injured.

We saw what happened when AB and Horford were out for a few games on the West Coast trip.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Are you kidding me...

I don't think given the asking price, even if lower than presented above, would have left us with a title shot.  We're not as close to playoff Cleveland as you think imo.  I doubt we could handle Houston either, let alone GS.  If we had a Jokic on the team or a mentally-prepared-didn't-take-time-off-for-pot--Larry-Sanders-level-type player, I would agree that a Butler or George might have done the trick. 

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it is a lot to assume that Kevin Love, Kevin Durant, and LaMarcus Aldridge will all be out from now through the end of the Finals.

I guess it would have been interesting to acquire George or Butler, but we would have given up a lot of rotation pieces (and picks!) to get them. If Bradley, Brown, and Crowder were gone, would we really be any better? Would George or Butler integrate fast enough so that we could beat the other top teams? What about GSW's backcourt without AB to guard them?

I suppose it's possible that none of these players return this season, but I hardly believe we would have been favorites even with such an outcome.

As jpotter mentioned, Ibaka would have been a nice addition to our team without having to gut our roster and future salary commitments. Oh, well - still a lot to look forward to.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Woah, that's big news.

Can never be too careful with heart conditions.  Life is more important.

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I had a heart arrhythmia caused by taking vitamin E.
I stopped taking vitamin E, and it went away.
My cardiologist said that vitamin E makes the platelets slicker, so the heart speeds up.