Less Than 7 Games
1 (3.1%)
7-9 Games
7 (21.9%)
10-12 Games
17 (53.1%)
13-15 Games
3 (9.4%)
We Go Undefeated In That Stretch (Somehow...)
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Final 16 Games: Great Chance To Finish Strong (Unlike Last Season)  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Of course, it will depend on how hard the C's will play for it, because efforts like last night won't hold well for us in the final stretch. It wasn't pretty, but we managed to navigate through a tricky stretch of games after the ASG (which included a West Coast Trip; games against Toronto, Atlanta, Cleveland, Golden State).

Here is our schedule in chronological order:

Chicago Bulls
Minnesota Timberwolves
@Brooklyn Nets
@Philadelphia 76ers
Washington Wizards
Indiana Pacers
Phoenix Suns
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Orlando Magic
@NY Knicks
Cleveland Cavaliers
@Atlanta Hawks
@Charlotte Hornets
Brooklyn Nets
Milwaukee Bucks

To sum it up, 11 of our final 16 games are AT HOME (including some big games against playoff teams like Washington, Cleveland, Indiana, Chicago, etc.). Our road games aren't too overwhelming besides maybe the Atlanta and Charlotte games. All in all, we are set up to do well in this, on paper, easy looking stretch.

Last year, the Celtics looked to have the inside track on the #3 seed, but near the end of the season blew games they should have won (eerily similar to the Phoenix game last Sunday), and injuries ultimately cost them not only the 3 seed, but a chance at home court advantage in the first round. This season, that can't happen, Celtics need to close out the season well and try to stay healthy (even if it means limiting some player's minutes when leading big).

My Prediction: We go 11-5 to finish the season and end with a 52-30 record.

Will that ensure us the #2 seed? Idk. But I doubt it makes us finish anything lower than a 3 seed (unless Toronto go on some insane winning streak to end the season).

What do you guys hope/predict?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Final 16 Games: Great Chance To Finish Strong (Unlike Last Season)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Thanks for listing this. I think we win 12 depending on if they don't go crazy and rest players extensively. I think we split with Milwaukee. I think we lose to Minnesota, Cleveland (pay back to us). Miami (just playing great now). We need pay back to Washington, Atlanta & Phoenix. BTW, TP to you.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
If Marcus Smart makes even 40% of his field goals, Jae and AB stop chucking and drive to the rim, and IT stops his hero ball chucking nonsense, maybe we might stand half a chance.

And if Horford and KO show up consistently. May be too much to ask from the softest bigs in the league though.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
13-3

I feel a strong run is coming with this team to end the season and make the playoff run. I know they haven't played their best basketball lately but its good to have some home games again (only 2 since all-star break) and with a healthy lineup (and I hope good fortune last through the end including playoffs) we should finally see some consistency in the rotations and overall play heading into the postseason.

That 2nd seed is vital. It is a MUST to get it for any shot of an ECF berth and this final streach SHOULD give the boys in green the inside track for it. Will see.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If Marcus Smart makes even 40% of his field goals, Jae and AB stop chucking and drive to the rim, and IT stops his hero ball chucking nonsense, maybe we might stand half a chance.

And if Horford and KO show up consistently. May be too much to ask from the softest bigs in the league though.

Well I mean if all that happened we would probably win the NBA Finals  :laugh:

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

Definitely not. At best we'd still lose in 5 games to the Cavaliers.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Undefeated of course ;)

We should do enough to grab the 2nd seed and that is what's important. Just have to stay healthy for the playoffs!

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Definitely not. At best we'd still lose in 5 games to the Cavaliers.

With the injuries happening around the league, it's still possible IF every single thing you mentioned would happen and happen "consistently".

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Undefeated of course ;)

We should do enough to grab the 2nd seed and that is what's important. Just have to stay healthy for the playoffs!

Yep. I hope we grab 2 and face DET. We match up well against them.

Not really against CHI or IND (and as of now we would face IND in 3 v 6 seeding match up).

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
We're in the driver's seat for the number 2 seed. Our schedule is substantially easier than Washington's schedule down the stretch, but as we've seen this year with this team, schedule doesn't matter if the effort isn't there. We'll have to actually play well to secure the number two seed, but we're certainly in the driver's seat to keep it.

Pretty much I think  it'll boil down to who wins our final game against them. If they win, then they'll gain a full game on us and own the playoff tiebreaker. If we win, then we'll gain a game on them and be 90% likely to own the playoff tiebreaker.

Hopefully the Trailblazers beat them tonight after an OT game in Sacramento last night. I might start getting a bit nervous if they come out with another win tonight.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Looking at the schedule I'd say there are 8 games that should be wins, 3 games that are likely wins, 2 games that should be losses, and 3 games that could go either way.  So I'd say the team should win 11, 12, or 13, which is at least 52 wins.

I'd peg Washington at 11-7 or 51 wins.  I'd put Toronto at 12-5 or 50 wins.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If I'm not mistaken, the preseason predictions had us at 52.5 wins or so.  The majority of the fan base scoffed at that but it's looking spot on right now.

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We know our weaknesses..  But we all should understand how tough it is to play 90 games per year..  Everyone is resting players now because of injury fear..at this stage everyone can beat anyone...  I will be pleased with 50 wins and above...

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
If I'm not mistaken, the preseason predictions had us at 52.5 wins or so.  The majority of the fan base scoffed at that but it's looking spot on right now.

The majority of the fan base also didn't expect AB, Al, and Jae to miss large chunks of the season either, let alone all of our other injuries.

We're probably a 60 win team if we were healthy this year. I think at least some of the inconsistency with this team is due to the injuries that have caused chemistry issues and inconsistent play/rotations this season.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The schedule is WEAK these last 16. Two toughest games are Washington and Cleveland at home and Cleveland is near the end. The might shut it down by then. The rest are bottom playoff teams or lotto teams, many from the East.

10-12 is reasonable.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)