Author Topic: Do C's rest up for playoffs or engage in a seeding battle with Wizards and Cavs?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You rest players when you know you are a team that is going to go deep in the playoffs, especially if those players are getting on in years or nursing injuries. The Celtics are neither old, nursing injuries or expecting to go deep in the playoffs. The only way they DO go deep in the playoffs is being healthy and working on all cylinders as a cohesive unit with known rotations and roles and giving every effort.

So they gotta play and play hard for the rest of this year. There is no doubt about this in my mind. Rest is for the offseason.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What is the best strategy going forward for the playoffs?

Do we ease up and get healthy for the playoffs, or do we engage in an aggressive push for top seed and perhaps risk injury or fatigue for the playoffs?
play hard  each game and try to win them all.  this team has not spent enough time playing as a full unit due to injuries.  they need more time on the court to be as cohesive as possible for the playoffs and the bench needs to become better adjusted to their roles off the bench

home court will greatly help this team progress in the playoffs so they need as high a seed as possible.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Back in 2nd place!

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Top 2 seed is a must.  Can't afford to slip up.  Not having to face the Cavs until the ECF is HUGE!

Look what happened to the Patriots last time when they didn't care about seeding.  Ended up playing a road playoff game and losing.

This year they kept home field throughout, made it to the Superbowl, and of course the miracle of comebacks results in another Lombardi in the trophy case.

I say push for a top 2 seed.  At least make the Cavs uncomfortable.  They are vulnerable until Love gets healthy.  We just beat them in a face to face game.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Top 2 seed is a must.  Can't afford to slip up.  Not having to face the Cavs until the ECF is HUGE!

Look what happened to the Patriots last time when they didn't care about seeding.  Ended up playing a road playoff game and losing.

This year they kept home field throughout, made it to the Superbowl, and of course the miracle of comebacks results in another Lombardi in the trophy case.

I say push for a top 2 seed.  At least make the Cavs uncomfortable.  They are vulnerable until Love gets healthy.  We just beat them in a face to face game.

With our schedule, I'd say anything less than the 1 seed will be very disappointing. Need that extra home game if we are going to challenge the Cavs.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think rest is a luxury. The Celtics aren't good enough/in good enough position to enjoy the luxury of rest. They've still got something to fight for and I'd rather they go into the playoffs with that mentality locked in.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I think rest is a luxury. The Celtics aren't good enough/in good enough position to enjoy the luxury of rest. They've still got something to fight for and I'd rather they go into the playoffs with that mentality locked in.

You're exactly right -- the Celtics need to put pressure on the Cavs and Wizards as home court advantage always helps. Getting to play in front of your own fans during the playoffs is important.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The team isn't good enough to rest and take more games off than they already do. They need to get a top 2 spot.

Plus, with so many injuries this year, they could use the time as a unit to gel.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Without a doubt in my mind... home court advantage is the single most important thing right now. 

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Let the chips fall where they may, normal rest for everyone.