Author Topic: Marcus Smart/Our team is a disaster  (Read 4485 times)

Re: Marcus Smart/Our team is a disaster
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
'Nerlens Noel deserves the max'.

Sure buddy. Put down the sauce.

When you see a young player like that who is already an elite defender with offensive potential at 22 yrs old, you lock him up.

Since when is Noel an elite defender? Noel isn't half the defender Marcus Smart is.
AND Marcus has more offensive potential- boatloads more- than Nerlens Noel.

Your quote about locking up an elite defender with offensive potential is ironic because that's what Marcus Smart is, EXACTLY what he is.

Again, put down the sauce.

Marcus doesn't really have much offensive potential. His 2p% is 44%, his eFG% is 49%, his finishing at the rim conversion is 49.4%, and he is 40% from 5-9 ft, which means he doesn't even have a reliable floater, runner, jumper, or layup. He's not going to suddenly become more than a serviceable scorer if he has had percentages like those for 3 years.

Atleast Noel is efficient. 61.1 eFG%. He has a decent hook from both sides, and from his sheer athletic and leaping ability can score atleast 10 points per game efficiently at the rim (a 71% fg from within 5 ft) compared to Smart's 49.4%. Heck, he even shoots a higher percentage and has made the same number of shots as Marcus from 15-19 ft....as a center.

Noel is not an elite defender? ****. You need to take off you green tilted Leprechaun lens.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Marcus Smart's FG% from less than 5 ft is 50%.....49.4%. Can't finish.
40.3% from 5-9 ft. His floater or runner is not even reliable.
No midrange game either. 32.4% from 15-19 ft.

Awful. Saying he is going to never going to be a great shooter is an understatement, he will never even become a serviceable scorer at this rate. Tony Allen had some seasons where he was above 60% for shots less than 5 ft. Marcus doesn't even seem like he will match Tony Allen on offense. Let's not forget that TA is arguably one of the best on ball defenders of ALL TIME.

So, please tell me how calling him a poor man's TA is unfair. Please prove me wrong.
on top of the fact that at marcus's age, tony allen wasn't even in the league yet....

time will prove you wrong

also, do people forget that passing is part of "offense"

Since when is his passing something to write home about?

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Awful. Saying he is going to never going to be a great shooter is an understatement, he will never even become a serviceable scorer at this rate. Tony Allen had some seasons where he was above 60% for shots less than 5 ft. Marcus doesn't even seem like he will match Tony Allen on offense. Let's not forget that TA is arguably one of the best on ball defenders of ALL TIME.

So, please tell me how calling him a poor man's TA is unfair. Please prove me wrong.
on top of the fact that at marcus's age, tony allen wasn't even in the league yet....

I think his passing is good. He is definitely the best passer and most willing passer of any of our point guards.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

^Right. Don't be an idiot. No room for that here

Ironically, each time you post you prove your statement wrong.

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
'Nerlens Noel deserves the max'.

Sure buddy. Put down the sauce.

When you see a young player like that who is already an elite defender with offensive potential at 22 yrs old, you lock him up.

Since when is Noel an elite defender? Noel isn't half the defender Marcus Smart is.
AND Marcus has more offensive potential- boatloads more- than Nerlens Noel.

Your quote about locking up an elite defender with offensive potential is ironic because that's what Marcus Smart is, EXACTLY what he is.

Again, put down the sauce.

Marcus doesn't really have much offensive potential. His 2p% is 44%, his eFG% is 49%, his finishing at the rim conversion is 49.4%, and he is 40% from 5-9 ft, which means he doesn't even have a reliable floater, runner, jumper, or layup. He's not going to suddenly become more than a serviceable scorer if he has had percentages like those for 3 years.

Atleast Noel is efficient. 61.1 eFG%. He has a decent hook from both sides, and from his sheer athletic and leaping ability can score atleast 10 points per game efficiently at the rim (a 71% fg from within 5 ft) compared to Smart's 49.4%. Heck, he even shoots a higher percentage and has made the same number of shots as Marcus from 15-19 ft....as a center.

Noel is not an elite defender? ****. You need to take off you green tilted Leprechaun lens.

TP great post full of great information.  It's tough to admit, but this is exactly how other teams in the league view Smart, as a limited offensive player and athlete who competes hard on the defensive end.  It's a shame he doesn't have any trade value for the Celts to maximize.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

ok, now i know you have some blind hatred issues
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If a "fan" can't see the value of a Marcus Smart on a basketball team, for the salary he's being paid, (rookie contract) I for one am not going to explain it over and over again.

Everyone has an opinion.