Author Topic: Still A Big Long Shot, But I'd Look At The Pelicans Going Forward..  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not saying it will happen this summer (it likely won't), but if the Pelicans continue struggling even with Cousins on board, they might ultimately decide to trade Anthony Davis for a treasure chest of assets and start another rebuild sometime NEXT season/year (either 2018 Trade Deadline or 2018 Summer).

It's been a somewhat small sample size, I know, but the Pelicans have actually been worse with the addition of Cousins, and besides AD-Cousins-Holiday, there isn't too much great about the rest of the roster.

Unless they add someone like Chris Paul this summer, it might be the same scenario going forward and unless AD-Cousins can start winning a ton of games, it could complicate things. Cousins also becomes a FA in 2018 and trading him wouldn't get you too much value considering he would be an expiring at that point. So they have to hope it works out soon and they are stuck with Cousins until his contract ends (barring a contract extension).

Basically, if the Pelicans can't improve the rest of the season and the first half of next season, AND they can't find much help/improvement this summer, then hey, maybe we shouldn't entirely kick the tires on a potential Anthony Davis deal.

It's unlikely I know and I'm not saying Ainge should bet on this happening (keep going the same route with BKN Picks, max FA this summer, etc.), but it's something to monitor.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Still A Big Long Shot, But I'd Look At The Pelicans Going Forward..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I can't imagine any team choosing Cousins over Davis.  It's a super small sample size but so far Cousins has contributed to losing, gotten suspended, gotten fined for abusing fans.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
They are committed to making it work with the two big guys together. It will likely take more than a year before they would pull the plug. The next year to two they need to find the complementary pieces that will make it work. A grade A PG is where to start, obviously.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If you could add Davis to what we have now you have the best team in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Pelicans are worse with Cousins. Cousins is worse with Pelicans. Round peg in a square hole.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Pelicans are worse with Cousins. Cousins is worse with Pelicans. Round peg in a square hole.

Plus the Pels probably lose him in free agency after next year.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If you could add Davis to what we have now you have the best team in the NBA.

It would cost most of what we got just to get him ....LOL

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Davis is the best asset in the league.  Unless NO are crazy, he is and will be 100% untouchable.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I can't imagine any team choosing Cousins over Davis.  It's a super small sample size but so far Cousins has contributed to losing, gotten suspended, gotten fined for abusing fans.

But they could get more for Davis. NO is 4 games out of the playoffs. Davis makes them just good enough to be in the late lottery every year if they don't make it. It's also some wheres players may not go to and they don't have any assets. They're kinda stuck with out a miracle signing. They have 4 years to get players around him and get deep into the playoffs or he bolts.

If the C's get the #1 pick, that could make NO make a move. While unlikely, but Boston could be in the best position to make a move for Davis if he wants out. Both Nets picks, LA and Memph picks, Rozier, AB(contract and vet for the incoming rooks) Young and Zizic or Yabu.

This year they'd get a top 4 pick and possible top 10 of their own, and they can move Cousins for peanuts(they wouldn't be out much) and possible have two top 5 picks the next year. Thats one heck of a jump start for a rebuild.

Again, not going to happen, but if NO needed to jumpstart their team, this would be the best year to do it with Boston pile of picks.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'm not saying it will happen this summer (it likely won't), but if the Pelicans continue struggling even with Cousins on board, they might ultimately decide to trade Anthony Davis for a treasure chest of assets and start another rebuild sometime NEXT season/year (either 2018 Trade Deadline or 2018 Summer).

It's been a somewhat small sample size, I know, but the Pelicans have actually been worse with the addition of Cousins, and besides AD-Cousins-Holiday, there isn't too much great about the rest of the roster.

Unless they add someone like Chris Paul this summer, it might be the same scenario going forward and unless AD-Cousins can start winning a ton of games, it could complicate things. Cousins also becomes a FA in 2018 and trading him wouldn't get you too much value considering he would be an expiring at that point. So they have to hope it works out soon and they are stuck with Cousins until his contract ends (barring a contract extension).

Basically, if the Pelicans can't improve the rest of the season and the first half of next season, AND they can't find much help/improvement this summer, then hey, maybe we shouldn't entirely kick the tires on a potential Anthony Davis deal.

It's unlikely I know and I'm not saying Ainge should bet on this happening (keep going the same route with BKN Picks, max FA this summer, etc.), but it's something to monitor.

I posted something similar in Trade Idea and Rumors some time before the trade deadline:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=89085.msg2241463#msg2241463

It's doable in 2019/2020 season, we can offer Horford's and Crowder's expiring contract + one of Brown or draftee in 2017 and 2018, plus Memphis 1st round pick and fillers for AD.

But the twin towers have to fail miserably in the next two seasons for us to have a chance.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 05:14:30 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I felt Cousins could be flipped if they don't like what they see. Sure they won't get a lot but they didn't give up much to get him anyways.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There's no chance New Orleans gives up Davis unless he demands a trade. They have no incentive to give up on him. He just turned 24 two days ago. They could start a totally new rebuild and he'd still be able to fit that timeline.

The biggest thing, as other have said, if it really doesn't work out with Cousins, they're trading Boogie, not Davis. And they're not giving up on Boogie until they're seen him for a full season so I'm not holding my breath on that for a while, either.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
There's no chance New Orleans gives up Davis unless he demands a trade. They have no incentive to give up on him. He just turned 24 two days ago. They could start a totally new rebuild and he'd still be able to fit that timeline.

The biggest thing, as other have said, if it really doesn't work out with Cousins, they're trading Boogie, not Davis. And they're not giving up on Boogie until they're seen him for a full season so I'm not holding my breath on that for a while, either.

I think after the Cousins fiasco doesn't pan out, and literally any assets they have get rejected in any lateral trade, Davis will eventually ask for a trade out.

For 5 years, Davis has been in the league, and they have only made the playoffs in 2015, by pure luck, and reinvigorated Eric Gordon who was in the top 3 with 3pt %. Didn't really change much besides the fact they got swept pretty badly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:31:47 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different