Author Topic: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?  (Read 6327 times)

Re: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
To me, Shaq was the real "Unicorn" player.  Has their ever been a comp for him before or since?  He was ENORMOUS, but moved with speed and agility that are more like a high end power forward such as a Karl Malone.

To separate Shaq from the truly unique physical aberration that he is makes no sense.

Wilt had the same combination of size, strength and athleticism.

Wilt has to be up there as one of the most gifted athletes ever.  Whole other level.
I confess that I didn't really start watching basketball until '83 or '84, so I missed appreciating Wilt's greatness with my own eyes, but Shaq was definitely the most amazing physical specimen I have ever watched with regularity on a basketball court.

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
To me, Shaq was the real "Unicorn" player.  Has their ever been a comp for him before or since?  He was ENORMOUS, but moved with speed and agility that are more like a high end power forward such as a Karl Malone.

To separate Shaq from the truly unique physical aberration that he is makes no sense.

Wilt has to be up there as one of the most gifted athletes ever.  Whole other level.
I confess that I didn't really start watching basketball until '83 or '84, so I missed appreciating Wilt's greatness with my own eyes, but Shaq was definitely the most amazing physical specimen I have ever watched with regularity on a basketball court.

Look up the stuff he did in track & field and volleyball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
To answer OP's question:

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Couldn't shoot a FT either...

Well he could have, if he stuck with the granny shot he used to score 100 points. But he didn't so he and Shaq built brick houses next door to each other.

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
To answer OP's question:

Yeah, but from OP's perspective Shaq has no athleticism because he could not finish that dazzling move with a dunk. Oh wait.... OP implied all Shaq did was dunk.

See why this thread was not really well thought.

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Undoubtedly YES.

Don't let the Size, Powah or dunks fool you.

Shaquille O'Neal was the Real Deal.

He definitely had skills...was a good passer, good shot-blocker, had a soft touch around the basket when he had to.

Unfortunately he's remember more for his demoralizing dunks but Shaq had serious skills.

LOVED him in Green. THANKS BIG SHAMROCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_zJ88iV30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm4xJClo2VQ

Great post Green Faith. Shaq was literally 1 in ten Billion.

He was pretty nifty, and pretty fortuitous for him and the league that he avoided that basket collapse from his dunk.