Author Topic: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?  (Read 6340 times)

Re: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
LOL

I guess Tom Brady wouldn't be a HOFer if you strip away his achievements as well. I mean, did you see his 40 time, not an all-timer
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yes.

Skill and athletic traits do not exist in isolation.

Size in general is an advantage in basketball. However, mechanically, all skills of basketball generally become more difficult as you get bigger. It is more difficult to move from standing to full speed if you are bigger, more difficult to jump quickly, more difficult to move laterally if you are bigger and heavier. When dribbling, the ball has to go further, more opportunity for steals and mis-dribbling.

So, yes, if Shaq the brain was shorter and the exact same skill level, he wouldn't be a hall of famer. But you can't isolate that into a bubble. If he were shorter, he might also be lighter, quicker lift, quicker lateral movement, better handle...hard to know. The inverse is also true, ie, "if only earl boykins were 1 foot taller!" Well, Boykins made up for being short with good skills. But if he were taller, he would be heavier, and maybe his handle is just a titch worse, maybe he loses a half second of straight acceleration, maybe he loses a lateral step...suddenly instead of an ok NBA career based on skill, he's a D-league average sized guy.

There is a reason there aren't bunches of 7'2 300 lb guys averaging 20/10 with 4 titles for a decade. Not because there aren't other big people, but it takes incredible athleticism to do what shaq did with that body.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
everyone should have just answered 'No'. I bet the OP would have been happy to argue with that answer.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I could have been the next Shaq if it weren't for my lack of size, speed, and talent.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Big Tp to Fan From VT - saved me a lot of typing time and was also more articulate than I would have been in my explanation.

Of course it's true that Shaq doesn't have the shooting of Ray Allen or the agility of IT, but if you compare his achievements, he has proven to a top 10 player of all-time.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cmon OP

Yes he is

Count all the rings, mvps, accomplishments, records ..

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If we gave him 8 arms and the ability to breathe under water he'd make a heck of an octopus though. 

Shaqtapus?  Could be a good SciFi Channel movie.

My favorite post of the last few months. TP haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
So I guess we should just base the HoF on the NBA All-star Skillz competition, right? Save a lot of time voting, arguing, and avoid controversy.

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Just the sheer query has me afraid that Kazaam will get me haha... but I think it's worth discussing.

When I use basketballer in inverted commas I mean that if you stripped Shaq of his size and strength what is left? Is he even a solid basketballer? I understand that most big men of his, and previous generations did not require complex skill sets but if you are talking about a HOF player I believe he is lacking in the skill department. Shaq couldn't shoot, was never an elite defender, passer, shot blocker (stats fluctuated often), couldn't take free throws so what is left? His physical presence was his game & perhaps was the greatest athlete (factoring in his size) we have ever seen on a basketball court but does that make him a HOF basketballer? Olajuwon could essentially do it all, Kareem had the most unstoppable shot in basketball history, Wilt actually had a midrange game and was an elite defender and shot blocker ect. I may be on my own here in thinking for all his potential, Shaquille O'Neal was actually a fairly average 'basketballer'.

Thoughts?

My thought is you never have watched a basketball game . 

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Shaq is absolutely a hall of fame 'basketballer'.  He was so completely dominate during his prime that this shouldn't even be a question. 

Go back and watch the LSU and Orlando Magic highlights.  Even before he was with the lakers he was impossibly good.

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If you strip Lebron of his size, speed and strength, is he a hall of fame "basketballer'?

If Magic was the size of the average PG, would he be a top 5 player of all time?

Every player among the greats in the NBA have physical gifts and likely tailored their games around it.

Shaq was a physical monster who played that way and was the most dominating force of his era.
This post, along with Roy's little comment are my favorite two answers. 

But to answer the original question of the thread, absolutely not.  He had great moves and footwork for his size.  That stuff wouldn't have helped him if he were shorter and weaker. 

Every great player uses his attributes to his advantage.  Allen Iverson would have sucked if he were blessed with Dan Dickau speed.  I guess you would have to think of the most average sized player blessed with the worst athleticism and relied mostly on skill to see who is the OP's definition of a true basketballer.  Even a guy like Steve Nash who had average size and average traditional athleticism had amazing balance and hand eye coordination.

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If we gave him 8 arms and the ability to breathe under water he'd make a heck of an octopus though. 

Shaqtapus?  Could be a good SciFi Channel movie.

My favorite post of the last few months. TP haha.

If I see that movie pop up on SciFi I'm gonna be coming after you for copyright infringement.

Seriously.  Might fit right in with their genre.
Yup

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Well, if Shaq was short, wasn't athletic, never adapted and still played like he was 7'2" 300+lbs when in truth, he was 5'2" and 300+lbs, he probably wouldn't make it into the HoF. Or the NBA.

Then again, a 5 foot version of Kareem Abdul Jabbar, stripped of all athleticism and footwork, probably wouldn't make it in the NBA either, even if he knew how to shoot the sky hook.
- LilRip

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Well, if Shaq was short, wasn't athletic, never adapted and still played like he was 7'2" 300+lbs when in truth, he was 5'2" and 300+lbs, he probably wouldn't make it into the HoF. Or the NBA.

Then again, a 5 foot version of Kareem Abdul Jabbar, stripped of all athleticism and footwork, probably wouldn't make it in the NBA either, even if he knew how to shoot the sky hook.

Forget 5'2. If Shaq was 6'7 he would never make it into the NBA.

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Forget 5'2. If Shaq was 6'7 he would never make it into the NBA.

I bet he'd make the NBA. He would at least be as good as Danny Fortson, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes