Author Topic: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?  (Read 6343 times)

Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Just the sheer query has me afraid that Kazaam will get me haha... but I think it's worth discussing.

When I use basketballer in inverted commas I mean that if you stripped Shaq of his size and strength what is left? Is he even a solid basketballer? I understand that most big men of his, and previous generations did not require complex skill sets but if you are talking about a HOF player I believe he is lacking in the skill department. Shaq couldn't shoot, was never an elite defender, passer, shot blocker (stats fluctuated often), couldn't take free throws so what is left? His physical presence was his game & perhaps was the greatest athlete (factoring in his size) we have ever seen on a basketball court but does that make him a HOF basketballer? Olajuwon could essentially do it all, Kareem had the most unstoppable shot in basketball history, Wilt actually had a midrange game and was an elite defender and shot blocker ect. I may be on my own here in thinking for all his potential, Shaquille O'Neal was actually a fairly average 'basketballer'.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Is Shaq really a Hall of Fame 'basketballer'?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If you strip Lebron of his size, speed and strength, is he a hall of fame "basketballer'?

If Magic was the size of the average PG, would he be a top 5 player of all time?

Every player among the greats in the NBA have physical gifts and likely tailored their games around it.

Shaq was a physical monster who played that way and was the most dominating force of his era. 

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This is a ridiculous thread
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
If you strip Lebron of his size, speed and strength, is he a hall of fame "basketballer'?

If Magic was the size of the average PG, would he be a top 5 player of all time?

Every player among the greats in the NBA have physical gifts and likely tailored their games around it.

Shaq was a physical monster who played that way and was the most dominating force of his era.

Magic had all time level vision, passing game and developed a post game

Lebron can literally do it all at this stage of his career he is a complete basketballer

If you stripped both these men of their elite athleticism they would still be fantastic at the game of Basketball...this is my point.

The same can't be said as much for Shaq.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Lebron can literally do it all at this stage of his career he is a complete basketballer

If you stripped both these men of their elite athleticism they would still be fantastic at the game of Basketball...this is my point.

I agree that this thread is silly. And I don't agree that you can take LeBron's size, speed, and athleticism away and he's still be a great player. If you took that all away, he'd probably be something closer to Antoine Walker.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He had good footwork and post moves; he was also had good quickness and good timing making him an above average shot blocker. The OP is underrating shaq a bit
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Magic had both great vision and the ability to easily see over the other players?   How would his game have changed if he couldn't just back his defender around the court while looking over the top?

No one saying they wouldn't be skilled basketball players.   There are plenty of skilled basketball players out there, only a few that have the athletic gifts that allow them to play in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »

Offline Mempitt18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Same can be said for 90% of the big men in the HOF, particularly Wilt

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Yes.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If we gave him 8 arms and the ability to breathe under water he'd make a heck of an octopus though. 

Shaqtapus?  Could be a good SciFi Channel movie.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would say that just because Shaq played within a system doesn't mean he couldn't do more than that. He (and many other players) talk about what they can do that they were never allowed to showcase in games. Particularly big men who have long been restricted to roles in ways guards haven't.

Remember when Shaq took it rim to rim? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVsWuHblBwU

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Magic era Shaq was pretty darn athletic.  Pretty solid handle for a guy his size and he wasn't against leading fast breaks.  Really good footwork.  He was remarkably athletic for a guy his size.  Especially in his LSU/early NBA days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Come on now... 

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Bill Russell was 5'10" he wouldn't have started above Division III.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is a ridiculous thread

TP, probably your easiest TP.

OP lost me at 'I think it is worth discussing' Up to that point I was willing to buy his sense of humor, but after that I was like oh 'brother?'