Author Topic: Cavaliers stumble again  (Read 4937 times)

Re: Cavaliers stumble again
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I really think there is a chance Lue being a lacky for Lebron may come back to bite the Cavs this year. I believe any other respected coach for a contender (Kerr, Pops, Spoelstra, Stevens etc) would have sat Irving and Lebron last night and also the game 3-4 weeks ago against OKC.). Many national observers (not to mention linemakers) viewed them as no brainer rest spots because of their schedule and travel. Of course Lue played them in both games including 40+ minutes for Lebron and they lost both games anyways. At 32 years old they are really pushing Lebron harder than ever before. I am not even sure why they want the 1 seed so bad. They would still be heavy favorites against Boston even if Boston had home court advantage. I really am not sure what Lue's thought process is.

I agree. I'm not sure why Lebron doesn't ask for rest either. The way the Heat are playing, Cleveland would be better off with the #2 seed anyway.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I really think there is a chance Lue being a lacky for Lebron may come back to bite the Cavs this year. I believe any other respected coach for a contender (Kerr, Pops, Spoelstra, Stevens etc) would have sat Irving and Lebron last night and also the game 3-4 weeks ago against OKC.). Many national observers (not to mention linemakers) viewed them as no brainer rest spots because of their schedule and travel. Of course Lue played them in both games including 40+ minutes for Lebron and they lost both games anyways. At 32 years old they are really pushing Lebron harder than ever before. I am not even sure why they want the 1 seed so bad. They would still be heavy favorites against Boston even if Boston had home court advantage. I really am not sure what Lue's thought process is.

I agree. I'm not sure why Lebron doesn't ask for rest either. The way the Heat are playing, Cleveland would be better off with the #2 seed anyway.
Because the second seed is the third seed and no-one wants to play Atlanta or Indiana instead one of the two 50% teams.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Because the second seed is the third seed and no-one wants to play Atlanta or Indiana instead one of the two 50% teams.

Atlanta has been a bit more consistent over the course of the year, but why is Indiana a tougher match up for a team than Miami right now? Miami has been playing significantly better ball than the Pacers for 2.5 months. They almost beat them yesterday in Miami without Dragic.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

James wants a chance for the MVP.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

As a fan of basketball, I appreciate what LeBron James can do on a basketball court.

As a fan of the Boston Celtics, I have had my first glimpse of the demise of LeBron James's physical prowess, on the distant horizon, and I look forward to it's full arrival.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How can Lebron win MVP when a guy with less surrounding talent (I think 99% of people would say Kyrie, Love, Thompson Smith, Korver is better than Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Clint Capela, Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza) has better stats and a better team record? It would be pretty insane to give the award to Lebron over Harden this season and that is to say nothing of Westbrook (or Leonard). If Lebron is really playing a ton of minutes to get himself into the MVP conversation than that is stupider than Kerry running the Warriors into the ground last year to chase the wins title.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

How can Lebron win MVP when a guy with less surrounding talent (I think 99% of people would say Kyrie, Love, Thompson Smith, Korver is better than Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Clint Capela, Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza) has better stats and a better team record? It would be pretty insane to give the award to Lebron over Harden this season and that is to say nothing of Westbrook (or Leonard). If Lebron is really playing a ton of minutes to get himself into the MVP conversation than that is stupider than Kerry running the Warriors into the ground last year to chase the wins title.

This is why Harden should be the MVP.  Kawhi is the other contender, but he's missed too many games in my opinion.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Because the on/off court numbers are crazy.  I don't recall the exact numbers (I heard them on the radio yesterday driving so the Houston game isn't included), but there is something like a 17 point difference when James is on the court vs. when he is off the court for the Cavs.  For Harden and the Rockets it is something like 3 points different.  The Thunder are actually better when Westbrook isn't on the Court.  Again I'm going from memory so don't quote me on the exact numbers.

When you consider the award is supposed to measure the most valuable player, it is hard to find more value than what James provides the Cavs, and when he is also the best player in basketball, he should be the MVP. 

As an example, look at the two prior Cavs losses (before Houston).  Against the Pistons James played 39 minutes and the Cavs were +18, in the 9 minutes James sat, the Cavs were -23.  The game prior to that against the Heat.  James again played 39 minutes and the Cavs were +14, in the 9 minutes James sat the Cavs were -22.  Those are a bit of extreme examples, but over the course of the season there is a gigantic difference in what the Cavs look like when James plays and when James doesn't play, which is one of the reasons he has been playing so much. 

Also of note, James is currently setting his career highs for RPG and APG.  He is also having a top 3 shooting season in his career.  All things considered, this might just best James' best season ever. 

I wouldn't really have an issue if Harden wins the MVP, but if I was voting my vote would be for James with Harden a close 2.  I'd actually put Leonard 3 ahead of Westbrook in 4th. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Because the on/off court numbers are crazy.  I don't recall the exact numbers (I heard them on the radio yesterday driving so the Houston game isn't included), but there is something like a 17 point difference when James is on the court vs. when he is off the court for the Cavs.  For Harden and the Rockets it is something like 3 points different.  The Thunder are actually better when Westbrook isn't on the Court.  Again I'm going from memory so don't quote me on the exact numbers.

When you consider the award is supposed to measure the most valuable player, it is hard to find more value than what James provides the Cavs, and when he is also the best player in basketball, he should be the MVP. 

As an example, look at the two prior Cavs losses (before Houston).  Against the Pistons James played 39 minutes and the Cavs were +18, in the 9 minutes James sat, the Cavs were -23.  The game prior to that against the Heat.  James again played 39 minutes and the Cavs were +14, in the 9 minutes James sat the Cavs were -22.  Those are a bit of extreme examples, but over the course of the season there is a gigantic difference in what the Cavs look like when James plays and when James doesn't play, which is one of the reasons he has been playing so much. 

Also of note, James is currently setting his career highs for RPG and APG.  He is also having a top 3 shooting season in his career.  All things considered, this might just best James' best season ever. 

I wouldn't really have an issue if Harden wins the MVP, but if I was voting my vote would be for James with Harden a close 2.  I'd actually put Leonard 3 ahead of Westbrook in 4th.
Hes plus 17. Next closest I can find is Jimmy Butler who is +13.3

I think Embiid was right around there as well.

Your top 4 mirror mine.

I might go Thomas at 5 just because no one else jumps off the page for me. If the Bulls or Bucks werent so mediocre, I think Giannis or Butler could outpace Thomas, but they suck too bad.

Maybe Wall deserves the 5th spot.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Sounds about right.  I think they said when Harden was playing the Rockets were +7.5, and when Harden sits the Rockets are +4.5, so just a 3 point difference.  I think they said the Cavs were something like +13 with James in the game and -4 when he isn't on the floor, for a 17 point swing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Sounds about right.  I think they said when Harden was playing the Rockets were +7.5, and when Harden sits the Rockets are +4.5, so just a 3 point difference.  I think they said the Cavs were something like +13 with James in the game and -4 when he isn't on the floor, for a 17 point swing.
You can find em on BBall ref
Harden is 8/4.8 net +3.2
Kawhi is 9.3/8.5 net +0.8 (not his fault hes on the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing Spurs)
Russ is 3.7/-11.4 net +15.1(this is way up from the deadline trade deadline when I last checked)
Lebron is 9/-8.1 net +17.1

obviously that stat isnt the be all end all, but when you are the best player of the bunch on the best team of the bunch with the best on/off of the bunch I find it hard to put anyone ahead of him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Cavs look slow to me. Not a particularly athletic team. LeBron looks to me like he's slowed a bit.

They are 22nd-worst in points against per game, and tied for 22nd in the league in defensive efficiency.

Compare that to the Spurs (#2/#1) and the Warriors (#15/#2)

Has any team with such a poor defensive ranking won a championship?

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I think the fact that Butler is second in plus minus rating should tell you all you need to know about basing your ranking for MVP off of that. I get being an Ohio guy there is a lot of love for Lebron, but it would be pretty unfair to give the award to Lebron over Harden.

I would also be curious what the rationale would be for the Cavs having a worse record this year given their roster. Does Lebron bear no responsibility for that?

Kevin Love has been injured and they have played worse since than, but he has still played close to 50 games.

The Rockets didn't even have a second player up for all-star consideration. It would be tough to figure out who their second best player is.. Eric Gordon? The fact that Lebron on a team with two other all-stars has been struggling to pull away from a Celtics team that has battled injuries all year definitely suggests they don't have the MVP on their roster. 

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Cavs look slow to me. Not a particularly athletic team.

They are 22nd-worst in points against per game, and tied for 22nd in the league in defensive efficiency.

Compare that to the Spurs (#2/#1) and the Warriors (#15/#2)

Has any team with such a poor defensive ranking won a championship?

I believe the Lakers with shaq and kobe in the early 2000 had an awful defensive year. They have some similarities to this Cav team with two guys that can take over the game.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You can find em on BBall ref
Harden is 8/4.8 net +3.2
Kawhi is 9.3/8.5 net +0.8 (not his fault hes on the ****ing Spurs)
Russ is 3.7/-11.4 net +15.1(this is way up from the deadline trade deadline when I last checked)
Lebron is 9/-8.1 net +17.1

obviously that stat isnt the be all end all, but when you are the best player of the bunch on the best team of the bunch with the best on/off of the bunch I find it hard to put anyone ahead of him.

Isn't a big problem with this stat is that is entirely dependent on how the team manages their rotations? Or how good their bench is? Before the Cavs got Derrick Williams, Korver and Derrick Williams they were playing players like Liggens, Kay Felder real legit minutes. Liggens alone was playing 20 minutes per game in january. He is not a rotation player right now. I would imagine having players like him and Felder on the floor when Lebron was not would really screw up those plus minus ratings.