Author Topic: Cavaliers stumble again  (Read 4938 times)

Cavaliers stumble again
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
This time in Detroit, and despite a 29-point triple-double from Lebron. James played 39 minutes. The Celtics are now 2 games behind Cleveland for the 1 seed.

Discuss.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Re: Cavaliers stumble again
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think we end up falling short of getting it, but it will be important to push Cleveland as hard as we can. They are weak right now and are unlikely to get the rest they normally do before the playoffs. The number 1 seed is as important to them as it is to us.

Despite the stumbles we've had this year we have been extremely successful when all are healthy. That will be the key leading into the playoffs, don't burn ourselves into the ground, keep this team approach that we have, it will pay off come playoff time

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We ll be close , but no cigar.

Le Whiner will start playing playoff level ball four quarters instead of two

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the better we finish the worse the Nets pick-just an added bonus-

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:03 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I was trying to find the remaining strength of schedule but couldn't find it.

Anyway it doesn't look that easy for the Cavs in April.  They play us in Boston on April 5th.  That could be a huge game.  They also play the Hawks twice and finish off against The Raptors.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown

That's the thing. Lebron apparently was unstoppable last night. Played almost 40 minutes! Didn't matter, team still lost.

Some of this will change when JR Smith and Love come back. But keep in mind they've been out for a while now and will be rusty.

Here's another question: With the way Miami is playing of late (winning 19 of their last 23 and knocking on the 7th or 8th seed), could they actually beat the Cavs in the first round? I would fear them in matchup with the Celtics, if they rolled into the playoffs playing like this.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:07 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

That's the thing. Lebron apparently was unstoppable last night. Played almost 40 minutes! Didn't matter, team still lost.

Some of this will change when JR Smith and Love come back. But keep in mind they've been out for a while now and will be rusty.

Here's another question: With the way Miami is playing of late (winning 19 of their last 23 and knocking on the 7th or 8th seed), could they actually beat the Cavs in the first round? I would fear them in matchup with the Celtics, if they rolled into the playoffs playing like this.

JR Smith was back last night. Lebron and Kyrie also both played very well.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
JR Smith was back last night.

Oh oops

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
Hate to belabor a point, but  Cavs lost at Rockets last night and Lebron played 40 minutes(!). He's tied for 1st in minutes per game this season. Now, I'm expecting him to magically find the fountain of youth again for the playoffs, but still noteworthy if you ask me. Celtics and Wizards both 2 games back for #1.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The on/off stats for James with the Cavs is incredible this year.  Last night against Houston was one of the few times that James was actually a - in a game. 

Look at the Pistons loss.  James played 39 minutes and was +18.  That means in the 9 minutes he didn't play the Cavs were a -23.  And that isn't an anomaly.  The Cavs just flat out suck when James is not on the floor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I was trying to find the remaining strength of schedule but couldn't find it.

Anyway it doesn't look that easy for the Cavs in April.  They play us in Boston on April 5th.  That could be a huge game.  They also play the Hawks twice and finish off against The Raptors.

if the Cavs continue to slump (which I don't see happening for long), then I would expect that game against us, to be similar to the two games we played Toronto this year, a battle for the 1st seed.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Nope, our quest for first place just took a dagger, as the Cavs sign powerhouse Larry Sanders:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18897252/cleveland-cavaliers-larry-sanders-reach-contract-agreement

Mike

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Nope, our quest for first place just took a dagger, as the Cavs sign powerhouse Larry Sanders:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18897252/cleveland-cavaliers-larry-sanders-reach-contract-agreement

Mike
I Know you are being sarcastic , but either way, Sanders is planned to play for D-league fir the rest of regular season 

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Mike
I Know you are being sarcastic , but either way, Sanders is planned to play for D-league fir the rest of regular season
actually makes a lot of sense.  get him game ready by giving him as many minutes as he can play in games that don't matter at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I really think there is a chance Lue being a lacky for Lebron may come back to bite the Cavs this year. I believe any other respected coach for a contender (Kerr, Pops, Spoelstra, Stevens etc) would have sat Irving and Lebron last night and also the game 3-4 weeks ago against OKC.). Many national observers (not to mention linemakers) viewed them as no brainer rest spots because of their schedule and travel. Of course Lue played them in both games including 40+ minutes for Lebron and they lost both games anyways. At 32 years old they are really pushing Lebron harder than ever before. I am not even sure why they want the 1 seed so bad. They would still be heavy favorites against Boston even if Boston had home court advantage. I really am not sure what Lue's thought process is.