Author Topic: nobody knows how good celts are  (Read 1882 times)

nobody knows how good celts are
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
last season in playoffs crowder was hobbled,kelly was injured later needing surgery and avery out
sully at 315lbs and forced to play a rookie(rozier)
this season isaiah at another level,
horford instead of sully
smart playing steady smart basketball
avery rebounding and getting to hoop
jaylen getting better by the game and rozier looking like he belongs
crowder healthy and shooting well
kelly healthy
smart post up game new addition
horfords defense and passing, as well as his outside shot opens middle for isaiah

the celts have played so few games at full health and defense has been token compared to what it can be
it really is a shame that we didn't pick up a rebounder or a creator at trade deadline or on waivers-

Re: nobody knows how good celts are
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Of course I do. We're going to win the championship, baby.

Easy.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I am excited for the playoffs, in part for Jaylen to start getting some media attention. He will literally be the only major rookie left (unless the Bucks get in, but who knows.) This should give him the opportunity to show people how he has so much potential, and that he is actually contributing to a high level playoff team as a "raw" rookie.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the progression of jaylen and rozier and  their growth over next 17 games could compound with combination of defenses slacking off and more minutes
- but just as important the celts schedule and amount of home games with less travel and being able to use practice facilities and trainers at all hours
this is huge for a rookies growth
for instance jaylens foul shooting could add 5 pts a game to his scoring-his three point shot and form is improving as is his ball handling and finishing
17 games with a majority at home and some easy teams and with the celts competing for top spot
this will keep everybody sharp with passing and defense at high level
17 games from now with jaylens work ethic,surrounded by smart ,rozier ,green and crowder all pushing him at waltham ,i believe the combination of home games and practice will benefit jaylen the most
the progress of jaylen has been startling and could escalate dramatically by the playoffs
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:13:37 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
True point...I would like to add that Kelly's wild inconsistency has really put a thick veil on the Celtics true visage.

If he could unlock his true potential...he could provide a HUGE boost.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Avery still shaking off rust, at least offensively. You could see it in the GS game, he hasn't found his 3 point stroke yet.  When he does (he will), that will make us that much better.

I think people also overlook how well Amir Johnson has been playing the last month plus. Much better than the start of the season. Also enough of a threat at the 3 to keep defenses more honest. 
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we re-sign him next season, depending how things play out on the FA front (e.g., Hayward).

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Well, Jeff Van Gundy said we are actually better than our record.  Coach Brad Stevens said we are not as good as our record says. 

I agree with Brad Stevens but ultimately the playoffs is going to determine how good we really are.  If we play playoffs games as we've done most games this season with minimal to no effort and play down to the opponent, it's going to be a first round exit sweep, but if we play with sense of urgency and actually PLAY basketball with effort, there's no telling how far deep into the playoffs this team can go.

I'm hoping for the later. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:58:29 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We just haven't seen this team at full strength for an extended period of time.

If everyone is healthy come playoff time, I could see us playing into June.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
All teams have injuries.  The Celtics are not unique.  In my opinion our health has been ok this year.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Good points guys. It will be interesting to see.

I think we need to stay in the #1 or #2 seed position. I'm wondering why the Cavs are losing all these games all of a sudden. Do they really want the #1 seed? They would play the Raptors in the 2nd round and may not want to do that and would rather play the Wiz. I'd rather play Detroit, then Wiz, the Cavs....and not play Miami and then Raptors.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Playoffs are only measure how good the team is. So let's wait until then.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Good points guys. It will be interesting to see.

I think we need to stay in the #1 or #2 seed position. I'm wondering why the Cavs are losing all these games all of a sudden. Do they really want the #1 seed? They would play the Raptors in the 2nd round and may not want to do that and would rather play the Wiz. I'd rather play Detroit, then Wiz, the Cavs....and not play Miami and then Raptors.

I don't think it has to do with their (CLE's) desire or lack thereof to get the #1 seed.  LBJ was +18 in 39 min last night.  -23 in the 9 minutes he was off.  Think the Love and JR injuries are just taking their toll on them over time. 

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
All teams have injuries.  The Celtics are not unique.  In my opinion our health has been ok this year.

Its not Okay. Around half of our games we are missing starters. Sure its not Clippers bad, but to say that we are around league average is wrong. Teams missed key players sure, but not to our extent. Cavs and GS for example only had major injuries recently.

The Wizards, Hawks, Spurs have been pretty healthy. As with the Jazz, Detroit etc.

Ofc this is not counting non-playoff teams because it really doesnt matter.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
I think people also overlook how well Amir Johnson has been playing the last month plus. Much better than the start of the season. Also enough of a threat at the 3 to keep defenses more honest. 
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we re-sign him next season, depending how things play out on the FA front (e.g., Hayward).

You know, I didn't realize that Amir is shooting 40% from three this year.  Sure, he never shoots when somebody is within twenty feet of him, but that's still impressive. 

Anyway, I agree with this point - he can't play major minutes anymore, but he's a serviceable player and I think he goes unappreciated. 

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I do...will tell you after the playoffs  ;)