Poll

To what extent was passing on Nurkic a poor decision?

It wasn't
23 (45.1%)
Mild
6 (11.8%)
Moderate
13 (25.5%)
Large
9 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Was it a mistake to pass on Nurkic?  (Read 6072 times)

Re: Was it a mistake to pass on Nurkic?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I watch this desperation (well, only some posters, not all) thread and feel very depressed  :'(

Then I open the standings and watch where we are and I ask myself: What would this people do if we were out of the playoffs? What if we didn't have a top-4 pick in the upcoming draft?

You read this thread, or the ones yelling about not picking Giannis A. instead of Kelly, and it makes you wonder if those people always complaining perform perfectly in their daily lives. Because or front office is far away from being ideal, but there are +20 worse than them; maybe it's not so easy.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I watch this desperation (well, only some posters, not all) thread and feel very depressed  :'(

Then I open the standings and watch where we are and I ask myself: What would this people do if we were out of the playoffs? What if we didn't have a top-4 pick in the upcoming draft?

You read this thread, or the ones yelling about not picking Giannis A. instead of Kelly, and it makes you wonder if those people always complaining perform perfectly in their daily lives. Because or front office is far away from being ideal, but there are +20 worse than them; maybe it's not so easy.

Welcome to the thread Austin Ainge!

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Meanwhile Nurkic threw down 21 points 12 rebounds and three blocks in a win against the Heat.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Meanwhile Nurkic threw down 21 points 12 rebounds and three blocks in a win against the Heat.
And? Does it matter? Denver traded Nukic and a first for Plumlee. Denver wanted a talented center like Plumlee, and PAID for him. We had nothing comparable to trade to Denver. Ainge couldn't get him.

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I don't think the tone of my OP suggests I was screaming "the sky is falling," I just posed the question with an interest in others' thoughts and provided my own opinion with reasoning.  If that is depressing, I wonder if you're depressed in your daily life! 

I do genuinely think it was a mistake if no offer was made. Others have made a compelling argument that Denver simply wanted Plumlee and ante'd up for him.  Makes the most sense.  I do think he would've been a great addition, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
wrong thread

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don't think the tone of my OP suggests I was screaming "the sky is falling," I just posed the question with an interest in others' thoughts and provided my own opinion with reasoning.  If that is depressing, I wonder if you're depressed in your daily life! 

I do genuinely think it was a mistake if no offer was made. Others have made a compelling argument that Denver simply wanted Plumlee and ante'd up for him.  Makes the most sense.  I do think he would've been a great addition, though.

Three-way trades do exist, though. If Portland really was all-in on Nurkic, I don't think they would have 'demanded' a first. We might have been able to get in on the deal and Portland probably could have been enticed by some of our young players/picks.

I don't consider it a huge failure or anything, just stating that it wasn't necessarily impossible for Ainge to acquire Nurkic if he really wanted him.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm not sure that he fits our style...but I LOVE that he has an edge!

He just destroyed his former team with 33 and 16!

And threw some MAJOR shade!

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/846971951352594432/video/1

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Has anyone who supported going for Nurkic managed to come up with a suitable trade that would not have reduced our flexibility this summer? We would have had to move someone who was going to be on the roster next year making more than $2m. KO or Marcus is the starting point. Something tells me Denver wouldn't be interested in KO and if any of you are trading Smart for Nurkic all I can do is laugh and hope you're not still here when I stop.

He may be talented, he may even have succeeded here although I doubt he would have got the playing time. However Ainge clearly wants to have a shot at max FA this summer so there's the reasoning. Was that a mistake? No of course not, Having the chance to leap forward by adding someone like Griffin is not worth sacrificing for a guy like Nurkic

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Has anyone who supported going for Nurkic managed to come up with a suitable trade that would not have reduced our flexibility this summer? We would have had to move someone who was going to be on the roster next year making more than $2m. KO or Marcus is the starting point. Something tells me Denver wouldn't be interested in KO and if any of you are trading Smart for Nurkic all I can do is laugh and hope you're not still here when I stop.

He may be talented, he may even have succeeded here although I doubt he would have got the playing time. However Ainge clearly wants to have a shot at max FA this summer so there's the reasoning. Was that a mistake? No of course not, Having the chance to leap forward by adding someone like Griffin is not worth sacrificing for a guy like Nurkic
Denver targeted Plumlee and gave up a first plus Nurkic to get him. Denver wasn't looking to trade away Nurkic for guards and picks. They were willing to deal Nurkic and a pick for what they felt was a big man upgrade. Boston just didn't have what Denver was lokking for. Why don't people get this?

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Denver targeted Plumlee and gave up a first plus Nurkic to get him. Denver wasn't looking to trade away Nurkic for guards and picks. They were willing to deal Nurkic and a pick for what they felt was a big man upgrade. Boston just didn't have what Denver was lokking for. Why don't people get this?

I think Olynyk is at least as valuable as Plumlee, although maybe Denver wouldn't have seen it that way.

Denver obviously rated Plumlee highly, probably too highly.  Denver also seemed to undervalue Nurkic, although the Jokic/Nurkic fit just wasn't going to ever work, so they kind of had to move one.

But I doubt Ainge ever offered that.  Maybe because he wasn't interested in Nurkic, maybe he didn't think that was an option, or maybe he wanted to preserve the cap space.  My guess is on the latter.

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm with Roy. There's a difference between "pass on" and "didn't fall to"

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I can't remember any reports linking Cs to Nurkic

Imho there wasn't any interest so i'd say we passed on him.... Looking at it today he 'd be a great fit. But i doubt anyone expected that kind of production

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
And? Does it matter? Denver traded Nukic and a first for Plumlee. Denver wanted a talented center like Plumlee, and PAID for him. We had nothing comparable to trade to Denver. Ainge couldn't get him.
Such an absurd thread. Based on what Denver gave up, we can safely assume they initiated that trade. They were the ones pursuing their guy, Plumlee.