Poll

To what extent was passing on Nurkic a poor decision?

It wasn't
23 (45.1%)
Mild
6 (11.8%)
Moderate
13 (25.5%)
Large
9 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Was it a mistake to pass on Nurkic?  (Read 6052 times)

Was it a mistake to pass on Nurkic?
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Jusuf Nurkic had 28 points, 8 assists, 6 blocks, 2 steals, and 3 turnovers in 36 minutes of an overtime win tonight against Philly.

He's on a rookie contract through the '18-19 season, and doesn't turn 23 till August.  And he was traded (along with the Grizzlies '17 1st (7th in West, 4-game losing streak)) for Mason Plumlee and Portland's 2nd. 

Blazers have actually won four in a row (including OKC x 2, who beat the Spurs tonight). He has played 8 games in Portland with averages of 29.8 mpg, 16.5 points, 9.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 4.4. turnovers, 1.9 blocks, 1.6 steals.  He's also shot 54% from 2 and 75% from the FT line (36/48).  Noted that there's no real competition for playing time in Portland.

My vote is large, but I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:41:46 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Was it a mistake to pass on Nurkic?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 01:42:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nurkic is looking really good in Portland, but I think you gotta look at the context.  Not sure Nurkic gets the chance to open up his game in Boston like he is in Portland.  Plus it's not like Portland is playing super well, at least not on defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:44:44 AM »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I feel like Denver really wanted Plumlee, so I'm not sure it was a mistake...we have no pick to trade this year and we weren't willing to part with Rozier who could have been the only interesting player for them

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Nurkic is looking really good in Portland, but I think you gotta look at the context.  Not sure Nurkic gets the chance to open up his game in Boston like he is in Portland.  Plus it's not like Portland is playing super well, at least not on defense.

That's fair, but Portland isn't a good defensive team in general.  They've been giving up a lot of points since the trade, but they're also winning.  He may be playing a significant role, and relative to their season, it looks like an upward trend. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:13:18 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 02:09:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I feel like Denver really wanted Plumlee, so I'm not sure it was a mistake...we have no pick to trade this year and we weren't willing to part with Rozier who could have been the only interesting player for them

Curious to know why you think Denver really wanted Plumlee?  DEN also gave up what predicts to be ~20th pick in this year's draft, Plumlee is 27 years old and will be up for a legitimate contract soon. They have a long way to go.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:04:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Curious to know why you think Denver really wanted Plumlee?  DEN also gave up what predicts to be ~20th pick in this year's draft, Plumlee is 27 years old and will be up for a legitimate contract soon. They have a long way to go.
Because plumlee is a great big to either pair with or back up Jokic. Also Nurkic wanted to leave so Denver didn't want to lose him for nothing (well it was an overpay but a least they got their backup C or twin tower PF for years to come;I think Plumlee will be effective into his 30s)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:27:46 AM »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

as you said they gave up a first round pick...so I guess they wanted Plumlee badly, otherwise it makes no sense at all, since they could simply shop Nurkic to a playoff team for a couple of second rounder or straight cut him if there were no offer...as Somebody said, I think they want to pair Plumlee with Jokic or at least they think both fit in their idea of frontcourt...I'm more of a C's fan than a NBA expert, so it's just my guess :)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, guy is a baller. Gotta strike on talented bigs available on the cheap.

Noel was a big miss too.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
There's no doubt missing out on Nurkic was a big time error for the Celtics. The Bosnian Beast was right there for the taking and Ainge and company decided to stick with Jordan Mickey and Tyler Zeller.  Nurkic completely dominated Jahil Okafor (remember him) and the rest of the 76'ers last night. It hurts even more because his previous play and per 36 numbers indicated this was coming and only the Blazers had the stones to pull the trigger..

The Blazers are now on a four game win streak.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

as you said they gave up a first round pick...so I guess they wanted Plumlee badly, otherwise it makes no sense at all, since they could simply shop Nurkic to a playoff team for a couple of second rounder or straight cut him if there were no offer...as Somebody said, I think they want to pair Plumlee with Jokic or at least they think both fit in their idea of frontcourt...I'm more of a C's fan than a NBA expert, so it's just my guess :)

I agree.  Nurkic wasn't a negative asset, so it's not like that pick was included to get rid of him - they really liked Plumlee's fit in their system (particularly his passing), and want to sign him long term.  I do kind of wonder if they would have taken Kelly instead (also a good passer, with the added advantage of being able to spread the floor), but I doubt it.  I would have loved to have gotten Nurkic (if only we had the 16th pick in 2014 instead of the 17th!), but I don't think we ever really had the chance once Plumlee was on the table
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
There's no doubt missing out on Nurkic was a big time error for the Celtics. The Bosnian Beast was right there for the taking and Ainge and company decided to stick with Jordan Mickey and Tyler Zeller.  Nurkic completely dominated Jahil Okafor (remember him) and the rest of the 76'ers last night. It hurts even more because his previous play and per 36 numbers indicated this was coming and only the Blazers had the stones to pull the trigger..

The Blazers are now on a four game win streak.

I like Nurkic but dominating Okafor doesn't mean much.

I'm not sure if it was a miss or not yet.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't see him as being much different than Zizic so no.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would say mild mistake.

I think he could have helped this Celtics team and had a contract that wouldn't have hampered the future.

I also think that the Celtics didn't have the player the Nuggets wanted.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
He's definitely putting up big numbers.  The minutes concern me a bit fir the long haul.  Can that body hold up fir 36 minutes a night?

To answer the question.  Yes.  I think we should have gone after him.  But whose to say Danny didn't?
Yup

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I agree.  Nurkic wasn't a negative asset, so it's not like that pick was included to get rid of him - they really liked Plumlee's fit in their system (particularly his passing), and want to sign him long term.  I do kind of wonder if they would have taken Kelly instead (also a good passer, with the added advantage of being able to spread the floor), but I doubt it.  I would have loved to have gotten Nurkic (if only we had the 16th pick in 2014 instead of the 17th!), but I don't think we ever really had the chance once Plumlee was on the table

For anyone interested the Nuggets GM Tim Connelly gives the reasoning behind targeting Plumlee on the Colorado Sports Guys podcast.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/colorado-sports-guys-podcast/e/49119984?autoplay=true

Convesation.starts at about 5:10,