Author Topic: Some Thoughts on the GS Game  (Read 2827 times)

Some Thoughts on the GS Game
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
IT's defense in the first half was p--- poor but he did a nice job in the second half. Despite being one of the most dangerous scorers in the league, I kind of like the match up of IT on Curry. Curry is a finesse player, he's never going to take Thomas down on the block or muscle him around, even though he's a lot taller. Thomas is so fast that as long as he stays in front of Curry and is able to chase him around picks, he can be a nuisance, which is pretty much all you can ask for with a guy like Curry. I'm grading on a curve here, but I'm comfortable with IT guarding Curry in a way I'm not when he guards other scoring PG's who aren't as good.

I was doing some whining last night about Jaylen not getting involved enough in the offense but at the end of the day, Olynyk finished with the best +/- with +29 and Jaylen was next on the team at +13 (after that, it was Rozier at +9 and Smart/Jerebko at +8). I think Jaylen has superstar potential and he's learning something that not a lot of potential superstars get to learn: how to move off the ball. His activity away from the ball is having an impact on winning while he's on the floor even when it doesn't look, to me, like he's "involved." It's all connected.

Assuming Jaylen gets more aggressive as he gets older and develops his game, he'll be a lot more versatile than a lot of scorers in the game today because of what he's learning now. Such a great thing for a rookie to be able to play on a good team and still be trusted with some minutes.

It took Crowder 3 quarters to settle down and play his game last night but he was ready to hit back-to-back 3's when called on. Similar with Avery, who wasn't shooting great but hit some shots down the stretch and played great defense. This team is full of gamers.

I hate highlights on ESPN. If I was in charge, the highlights of this game would've just been 2 minutes of the Celtics stealing the ball. That's what the game was about for me.

That, and Olynyk playing out of his mind. His +/- was more than double anyone else on the team, shot 7/9 and has 5 rebounds and 5 assists in 26 miuntes. This guy is an enigma but I really want the C's to keep him around for a long time, just to get 3 or 4 of these games each season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Some Thoughts on the GS Game
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I didn't watch the game, but I'll be sure to catch the 9:37 long "full game highlights" on youtube which have every scoring play.  ESPN highlights are just for show.

Actually not surprised KO had a good game.  I see a trend: Celtics seem to do better against team with weaker front courts and not do so well against team with strong frontcourts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:41:57 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think we match up very well with GSW. Of course it's tougher with Durant but maybe adding someone like Josh Jackson can help slow him down. If Curry/Klay heat up, we have different quality defenders to throw at them. Then we have Jae and Al on Green.

If we add Josh Jackson and Gordon Hayward, I really like our chances against them. Yes we are small, but so are they. New contracts for Curry and Durant (if they both stay) means they can't get much bigger. We can get bigger the year after in the draft and with Zizic (he can't come over next season if we sign a max FA?).

I'm not scared of them like most on here seem to be. It's a matchups league and while we may not steamroll opponents in the regular season like they do, doesn't mean we can't play them as tough as any team in the league. We almost beat them both times last season and won in Oakland again this season.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We can beat them without Durant. Actually, I don't see them making the NBA finals without KD.

Now, if Love does not come back 100% for playoffs, I can see a scenario where we could actually win the whole thing.   Some ways our worst match up is Toronto, especially if Lowry gets healthy.

Strange season.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I think we match up very well with GSW. Of course it's tougher with Durant but maybe adding someone like Josh Jackson can help slow him down.
Good point about Josh Jackson matching up with KD.  TP.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We can beat them without Durant. Actually, I don't see them making the NBA finals without KD.

Now, if Love does not come back 100% for playoffs, I can see a scenario where we could actually win the whole thing.   Some ways our worst match up is Toronto, especially if Lowry gets healthy.

Strange season.
The Wizards & Raptors are a factor, not just us and Cavs in the East

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »

Offline WolfofCausewayStreet

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Smart played good defense, but struggled on the offensive end again.

Unless you guys are happy about the prospect of Tony Allen, im extremely dissapointed.

Im glad we got the win tho. Kelly played well.

One day he's Kwame, the next day he is Dirk.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Unless you guys are happy about the prospect of Tony Allen, im extremely dissapointed.

yea, tony allen had GREAT court vision
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Some thoughts on strategy in this game, which was fun to watch.

The gameplan was clearly to wear out Steph and Klay and take our chances on everyone else.  We played the first 3 quarters at a much faster than normal pace.  I thought we were playing into their hands, but the mad genius Stevens had a plan.  Make Steph and Klay fight on every single possession.  Bump them, shove them, hold them and never let off the gas.  Almost no shots early in the clock.  You notice Horford passing up wide open looks in the first half just to swing the ball and run 4 or 5 more actions - keep them running!  Even though IT was bottled up somewhat, he was crucial to this plan.  Steph had to chase him around.  Handoff, pick, handoff, pick...over and over.  Stevens believes in our depth and planned to win by attrition.

You could also see that Kerr had a gameplan for exactly this.  They were not going to chase IT below the hash on baseline cuts.  Steph would just hand him off and go into a pseudo-zone because IT isn't a threat down there without the ball.  No sense chasing him when he's running around like Reggie Miller.  They would only chase him on curls and picks above the break. This type of defense played into Horford and Olynyk's strengths as post facilitators.  Multiple times GSW had breakdowns deciding whether or not to switch and/or help and our bigs picked them apart.

At some point in the 4th quarter, Curry had logged 30 minutes, while Smart, Bradley and Crowder were all between 18 and 22 and it was starting to show.  Steph was getting hounded by AB and got sloppy with his dribble 3 or 4 times.  He looked gassed.  Klay started coming up short.  Bam, 15-0 run. Game.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Smart is already much more well-rounded than Tony Allen.  Not to mention TA is an all-NBA defender that you can rightly be excited about. 

That said, Smart has been in a funk for a few games.   Hasn't looked like himself. 

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
When Curry comes back to earth and shoots a Poor  ::) 39.9 % .....they are beatable , they become a better version of the Raptors .  Two great outside shooters on each team.   That score most of their points.

Currys slump Stat would be a career high for Marcus.  LOL

Curry maybe a bit mental weak when his shot is off .....he does not want to play a physical game like Bradley , IT or Smart or Rozier even.  He seems to sulk a bit , head down ,  towel over head.

Currys Achillesheal could be when he shooting is poor , his confidence seems to really drop.  Players like MJ , Pierce ,and LeBron just played harder , did other stuff .   Curry maybe a bit of a baby.....when the shot is not up to 50 % , he seems to hide.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Some thoughts on strategy in this game, which was fun to watch.

The gameplan was clearly to wear out Steph and Klay and take our chances on everyone else.  We played the first 3 quarters at a much faster than normal pace.  I thought we were playing into their hands, but the mad genius Stevens had a plan.  Make Steph and Klay fight on every single possession.  Bump them, shove them, hold them and never let off the gas.  Almost no shots early in the clock.  You notice Horford passing up wide open looks in the first half just to swing the ball and run 4 or 5 more actions - keep them running!  Even though IT was bottled up somewhat, he was crucial to this plan.  Steph had to chase him around.  Handoff, pick, handoff, pick...over and over.  Stevens believes in our depth and planned to win by attrition.

You could also see that Kerr had a gameplan for exactly this.  They were not going to chase IT below the hash on baseline cuts.  Steph would just hand him off and go into a pseudo-zone because IT isn't a threat down there without the ball.  No sense chasing him when he's running around like Reggie Miller.  They would only chase him on curls and picks above the break. This type of defense played into Horford and Olynyk's strengths as post facilitators.  Multiple times GSW had breakdowns deciding whether or not to switch and/or help and our bigs picked them apart.

At some point in the 4th quarter, Curry had logged 30 minutes, while Smart, Bradley and Crowder were all between 18 and 22 and it was starting to show.  Steph was getting hounded by AB and got sloppy with his dribble 3 or 4 times.  He looked gassed.  Klay started coming up short.  Bam, 15-0 run. Game.

TP for the observations and analysis.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

In reference to Tony Allen...Yeah... I'll take an NBA all defensive team winner for 4 years, I'll take him, all day long. Tony has a ring, and has a long and valued career with just two teams.

It seems folks that really know basketball keep players like TA, and hopefully Marcus Smart.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

In reference to Tony Allen...Yeah... I'll take an NBA all defensive team winner for 4 years, I'll take him, all day long. Tony has a ring, and has a long and valued career with just two teams.

It seems folks that really know basketball keep players like TA, and hopefully Marcus Smart.

Yeah, you need guys like Smart to win rings. What he does on D makes up what he doesn't on Offense. There are little things, things that don't show up in the stats. And he can guard 1-3 and some 4's. His ball handling has gotten much better and he can run the second unit, or the first, and gets the ball moving side to side.

People don't get how good he is because he doesn't fill the bucket up every night and thats not sexy.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:30:07 PM by alley oop »