Author Topic: Steph Curry, don't disrespect your opponents  (Read 12428 times)

Re: Steph Curry, don't disrespect your opponents
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't see nothing wrong with it, he smacked his fingers like Jaylen was talking love that from the rook and JB got the last laugh anyway

Sorry, I don't believe in mocking you opponents.
It's childish.

So, I just want to ask...

Larry Bird told Robert Reid that he "should have stayed preaching", told Mark Aguirre that he's "out of his league", or told a coach (can't remember who it was) to "find someone who can guard me".

How about KG with the Honey Nut Cheerios incident, or him blowing into David West's face.

I'm assuming you don't like those as well, and consider childish.

And Bird to Dominique Wilkins when he was rookie:  'You don't belong in this league, Homes.'

The thing with Bird's taunts and KG's , they were phrases said on the floor that were not audible on tv and were meant for the opponent. Curry's hand gestures and similar stuff from other players today are meant more for the cameras and making sports center highlights to market themselves more than they are for their opponents.

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't see nothing wrong with it, he smacked his fingers like Jaylen was talking love that from the rook and JB got the last laugh anyway

It's childish.

Larry Bird told Robert Reid that he "should have stayed preaching", told Mark Aguirre that he's "out of his league", or told a coach (can't remember who it was) to "find someone who can guard me".

How about KG with the Honey Nut Cheerios incident, or him blowing into David West's face.

And Bird to Dominique Wilkins when he was a rookie:  'You don't belong in this league, Homes.'

I'm just trying to see if there's a double standard here. If the OP thinks that Larry and KG were being childish themselves, then I would see consistency.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Wow, people have gotten so sensitive. I mean, everyone loved Larry Bird, and he was one of the greatest trash talkers of all time. I mean really, who cares. These are grown men. What are they going to cry. Geez.
The Celtics had a great win last night, and people care about a little trash talk.
Man, get some thicker skin.

Talking is okay. Bird never did anything like Curry. Bird had poise.

I really don't see much difference between Bird & Curry on this topic besides the color of the laundry.

Plenty of instances where Bird lacked "poise".  See numerous ejections.  Let's not pretend he was above anything just because of who he played for.

I was very young so I could be wrong on this, but my memory is bird just calmly did his celebration like he expected to win or hit every shot. I don't recall him jumping around like a little kid with his mouth piece out and exageratting repeated pointing at a single opponent. I think by comparison he would tell a coach a rookie couldn't guard him rather than pointing and laughing in the rookies face for 2 minutes after a shot. True or false?

I'm talking about the "poise" part.  There are times that Bird lost his poise.  Let's not fool ourselves here.  Also, Bird is one of the all-time greats in trash talking.  He certainly wasn't above that.

Now, in regards to his mannerisms vs. Curry?  Who knows?  That's left up to interpretation. Is fist pumping, high fiving, and waving towels okay compared to some of what Curry does?  I suppose that's up to the individual to decide.

My issue was this idea of holding Bird up as "above this stuff" which really isn't true and I'm pretty sure wouldn't be uttered if not for the different colors of laundry here.

Donagus TP for the reply. I also realize that if Bird did some of the off the court stuff now a days that he did back then with bar fights, his kid etc, it would be 24/7 news and people would view him different.

That being said the key difference in my mind is that it *feels like Bird's emotions were pretty genuine. He got mad he showed it. He did something good and was happy he pumped his fist and waived a towel. It *feels like Curry's moves (and not just Curry modern players in general) are doing choreographed celebrations and engaging in things on the court that are about appearing cool, making sportscenter, turning into a poster , vine etc.

To a degree, I think it makes sense that Instagram and snapchat and these other entities now exist and some of these celebrations and stuff ultimately can make these guys money and land them endorsements or contracts. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it. I also think it is fair to say that Curry's over the top celebration of hitting a 3 in a close game you are heavily favored in against a soft spoken 20 year old rookie does make him look like a bit of a frontrunner. I never got the sense Bird came off as a frontrunner like these guys on the Warriors. What do you think?

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It's childish.

And Bird to Dominique Wilkins when he was rookie:  'You don't belong in this league, Homes.'

The thing with Bird's taunts and KG's , they were phrases said on the floor that were not audible on tv and were meant for the opponent. Curry's hand gestures and similar stuff from other players today are meant more for the cameras and making sports center highlights to market themselves more than they are for their opponents.

I'm sorry, HP, but I don't see any difference between taunting from taunting.

And I mean no disrespect, but I think you're reaching here with the "for the camera" stuff. I believe it's just that simple, it's just taunting. It's been like that ever since.

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »

Offline js03038

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I can't find a video on Youtube, but at the start of the 4th quarter, JB was still in the game.  Good for him to return to the game, but he did look "down" (he kind of jogged following a steal and fast break).  He got subbed out after a minute or two and went to the bench.  At that point, Avery Bradley walks down the bench, sits next to JB, puts his arm around him and talks him up (patting on chest, etc).  Definitely looked like a big-brother pep talk to JB.  I was hoping JB came out again for some meaningful minutes, but I don't believe he did.

That's AB being a team leader.

Returning to a game after someone hits a shot on you is not a courageous act. Also, if Jaylen was really that "down" over one three point shot and some trash talk, I may have to rescind my opinion that he is a star in the making.   

I'll go back and watch again tonight because I'm having a little trouble accepting the fact that a professional athlete, with star potential, was so shaken up over a single shot. Not calling you a liar, I'm just stunned that he would be so sensitive.

Are you basing reality on his post?  Brown didn't even react (or say anything) and didn't even get into after the game either.

I'm saying I didn't notice a dejected Jaylen last night when I was watching the game, and I need to re-watch to see if it's true. While I doubt it's true, I have some serious concerns if it is.

I read Jaylen's post game quotes and he did not seem one bit shaken up. I love that he said it was cute. He seems to have a ruthless attitude which I love about him. With that said, if he really needed consoling after one shot and a little harmless trash talk (which I doubt), I need to reconsider my opinion of him.

Jaylen didn't look at all phased by Curry, if anything he was amused. He did look down after he almost killed our run in the 4th by throwing a sloppy behind the back pass that was stolen and almost lead to a three pointer on the other end. Stevens took him out shortly after that , and Jaylen even said "my bad coach" after that play.

Your argument is with the OP, not me. I agree with you, but I'm going to re-watch tonight to see if I missed something that the OP saw. While I doubt Jaylen looked upset, I'm not willing to dismiss the OP's opinion just because it is not my own.

I probably worded it poorly.  My main point was AB going over to talk to JB.  Not so much that JB was "down" (he just looked lost or not in the game....there was a steal/fast break and JB kind of jogged....probably more the reason he was subbed out).  I was praising AB as opposed to trying to put down JB.

JB did just walk away from Curry.

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It's childish.

And I mean no disrespect, but I think you're reaching here with the "for the camera" stuff. I believe it's just that simple, it's just taunting. It's been like that ever since.

I disagree. As I said in my above post the culture is different now than it was back then. There are animations, vines, top 10 sportscenter, talking heads shows highlighting viscous plays. The existence of snap chat and instagram.

It seems pretty naive to act like these guys don't think about that and are not performing for all the cameras and phone videos that didn't exist in Bird's day (and were less prevalent in KG's day). In my opinion that is a negative aspect of today's culture but realize saying that makes me sound like a cranky old man.

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
It was the league MVP briefly jawing at a rookie, while smiling after a great buzzer beater.  Surprised people don't take more offense to D$G mean mugging veteran players 3 inches from their face after every made basket.  That's way worse to me.

« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
It was the league MVP briefly jawing at a rookie, while smiling after a great buzzer beater.  Surprised people don't take more offense to D$G mean mugging veteran players 3 inches from their face after every made basket.  That's way worse to me.

It was more than jawing.  He pointed at him and made a shut your trap hand motion.  IMO, should have been called a T for taunting.   

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It's childish.

I disagree. As I said in my above post the culture is different now than it was back then. There are animations, vines, top 10 sportscenter, talking heads shows highlighting viscous plays. The existence of snap chat and instagram.

It seems pretty naive to act like these guys don't think about that and are not performing for all the cameras and phone videos that didn't exist in Bird's day (and were less prevalent in KG's day). In my opinion that is a negative aspect of today's culture but realize saying that makes me sound like a cranky old man.

I get your point, and I will take it. But I don't agree that it's just today's players who are doing that. Players have been doing that since the old days.

Michael shrugging his shoulder, Reggie with the choke signs, Dikembe's finger wag. Iverson stepping over Lue, this has been happening long ago. If they had coverage like we have now, we'd be talking about it like we are right now with Steph.

I would concede the point that yes, maybe the awareness of the cameras push them to do these, but I would say that's just a little part of it. Most of them would be really just showing off the competition.

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
where were these posts when Kevin Garnett was a Celtic?  I'm being serious because KG was one if, if not the biggest, ****s in NBA history when it comes to this type of stuff.  Couple that with KG also being one of the dirtiest players in NBA history and these posts just come off as total hypocrisy. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
where were these posts when Kevin Garnett was a Celtic?  I'm being serious because KG was one if, if not the biggest, ****s in NBA history when it comes to this type of stuff.  Couple that with KG also being one of the dirtiest players in NBA history and these posts just come off as total hypocrisy.
maybe it's just me, but i think hypocrisy in sports is ok

screw all of the non celtic players!!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Its good that Steph felt he needed to do this to our rookie.

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

It's childish.

I get your point, and I will take it. But I don't agree that it's just today's players who are doing that. Players have been doing that since the old days.

Michael shrugging his shoulder, Reggie with the choke signs, Dikembe's finger wag. Iverson stepping over Lue, this has been happening long ago. If they had coverage like we have now, we'd be talking about it like we are right now with Steph.

I would concede the point that yes, maybe the awareness of the cameras push them to do these, but I would say that's just a little part of it. Most of them would be really just showing off the competition.

So here is my thing. The Jordan shrug seemed truly genuine and it felt like a genuine moment. Now you see players at college, high school and the NBA doing that after a shot in a normal game and it just feels like an orchestrated moment. Mutombo's finger wag seemed like it was a genuine moment of excitement from him.

Perhaps the Iverson step over and Miller moments were more orchestrated. The thing is, those are all memorable moments because it didn't happen all the time. Curry has done so many over the top celebrations making goggles, chewing his mouth piece, doing shimmy's it make it hard to remember one as an actual iconic moment rather than him just preening for cameras and instagram. I mean even last night we have two moments of Curry doing pretty big taunt/celebrations that got caught for sports center (goggles on the sideline, pointing at brown) for a regular season game the warriors lost at home despite being pretty big favorites. Doesn't that seem a bit stupid?

It is hard for me to imagine Larry Bird doing two celebrations like this in a regular season game against the Bullets that we ended up losing. Is this not how people remember him?

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

It's childish.

As I said, talking is fine. Pointing and gesturing is childish.

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jaylen Brown on Steph's finger-pointing: "It was cute"

Haha i like him more and more

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell