Author Topic: Steph Curry, don't disrespect your opponents  (Read 12444 times)

Re: Steph Curry, don't disrespect your opponents
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wow, people have gotten so sensitive. I mean, everyone loved Larry Bird, and he was one of the greatest trash talkers of all time. I mean really, who cares. These are grown men. What are they going to cry. Geez.
The Celtics had a great win last night, and people care about a little trash talk.
Man, get some thicker skin.

Talking is okay. Bird never did anything like Curry. Bird had poise.

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, people have gotten so sensitive. I mean, everyone loved Larry Bird, and he was one of the greatest trash talkers of all time. I mean really, who cares. These are grown men. What are they going to cry. Geez.
The Celtics had a great win last night, and people care about a little trash talk.

I really don't see much difference between Bird & Curry on this topic besides the color of the laundry.

Plenty of instances where Bird lacked "poise".  See numerous ejections.  Let's not pretend he was above anything just because of who he played for.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

How many physical fights was Bird in? I'm pretty sure there's consensus that Larry was a great player who sometimes played dirty. He also was a big trash talker. Poise? Not so sure.

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I think maybe the difference is that Bird would talk trash, but wouldn't show up his opponent by gestures, dancing, whatever.

I don't really care either way. But I think that's the difference. Trash talk is supposed to be sort of private, or for competition purposes between competitors. When you put on a performance for everyone to see like pointing and waving, that's a different thing. It's no longer just between the competitors. This is made harder due to the way the league is covered now with more access to video/audio and meta-commentary.

I don't get why it's not taunting though. Like I was cool with Dikembe's finger wag, and even the throat slit that went on for a while (as bad as that is), or the "choke" mime. I get why they got rid of it. But pointing and yelling has got to be taunting as much as those things.

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

So you must hate Kevin Garnett then right?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I wonder if Curry would've wagged his finger at Bradley in the same situation? Bradley was all over Curry and robbed Thompson a couple times....no yapping there...just great big green buckets

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I wonder if Curry would've wagged his finger at Bradley in the same situation? Bradley was all over Curry and robbed Thompson a couple times....no yapping there...just great big green buckets

If Bradley talked crap, then Curry would do the same thing. Bradley isn't that kind of talker like Jaylen. Curry doesn't make the 'Yap Yap Yap' gesture with his hands if Jaylen was just playing tough defense. He obviously said something- and Curry would do that to anyone talking smack. He did it to Lebron in the finals.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
0% chance Jaylen wasnt talking ****.

You talk **** and then someone splashes a three in youre face your gonna hear it.

I love it from Jaylen.

With a laugh, Brown vowed he said nothing to prompt the taunt, which came at the end of the third quarter when Curry drilled a 3-pointer after shedding Brown with an up fake. “I didn’t say a word to him,” Brown said after Boston’s 99-86 win. “I promise I didn’t say a word to him. I was just out there playing D, doing my job. He looked at me and starting doing whatever. But, I mean, they needed that energy to get them going. I’m just glad we got the win tonight.”
3 hours ago – via Booth Newspapers

Jaylen Brown, Stephen Curry, Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors
“I didn’t say nothing to him,” added Brown. “He hit a good shot. It was cute. And he just made a good shot. I didn’t say a word. I was just playing defense.”
3 hours ago – via Booth Newspapers

Smitty77

It's funny Brown said this, because i was thinking literally the same thing last night.

"How cute."

It was kind of bizarre how frustrated Curry and the Warriors were. When Curry is not hitting shots he looks pretty silly out there. I wonder if the pressure to win will start getting to him? Or if defenses will start to figure him out?

They are not a physically overpowering team, at some point their finesse game might become more difficult to execute, especially as  role player free agents leave elsewhere for more money, leaving their bench thin.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with them.

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so....Curry did to us, what we did to the Suns?

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I really don't see much difference between Bird & Curry on this topic besides the color of the laundry.

Plenty of instances where Bird lacked "poise".  See numerous ejections.  Let's not pretend he was above anything just because of who he played for.

I was very young so I could be wrong on this, but my memory is bird just calmly did his celebration like he expected to win or hit every shot. I don't recall him jumping around like a little kid with his mouth piece out and exageratting repeated pointing at a single opponent. I think by comparison he would tell a coach a rookie couldn't guard him rather than pointing and laughing in the rookies face for 2 minutes after a shot. True or false?

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Lol take the green goggles off KG, Pierce everybody's talked trash before can't believe this overreaction
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I was very young so I could be wrong on this, but my memory is bird just calmly did his celebration like he expected to win or hit every shot. I don't recall him jumping around like a little kid with his mouth piece out and exageratting repeated pointing at a single opponent. I think by comparison he would tell a coach a rookie couldn't guard him rather than pointing and laughing in the rookies face for 2 minutes after a shot. True or false?

I'm talking about the "poise" part.  There are times that Bird lost his poise.  Let's not fool ourselves here.  Also, Bird is one of the all-time greats in trash talking.  He certainly wasn't above that.

Now, in regards to his mannerisms vs. Curry?  Who knows?  That's left up to interpretation. Is fist pumping, high fiving, and waving towels okay compared to some of what Curry does?  I suppose that's up to the individual to decide.

My issue was this idea of holding Bird up as "above this stuff" which really isn't true and I'm pretty sure wouldn't be uttered if not for the different colors of laundry here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Am I correct that Curry didn't get a technical for his taunting? How did that not happen?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I thought Steph and the Warriors came unglued last night. The anger, the frustration, the constant complaining to the refs. We hit them in the mouth and they unraveled.

And we saw them fall apart against Cleveland last year.

If I was a Warriors fan I would be a bit concerned about their poise.

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I can't find a video on Youtube, but at the start of the 4th quarter, JB was still in the game.  Good for him to return to the game, but he did look "down" (he kind of jogged following a steal and fast break).  He got subbed out after a minute or two and went to the bench.  At that point, Avery Bradley walks down the bench, sits next to JB, puts his arm around him and talks him up (patting on chest, etc).  Definitely looked like a big-brother pep talk to JB.  I was hoping JB came out again for some meaningful minutes, but I don't believe he did.

That's AB being a team leader.

Returning to a game after someone hits a shot on you is not a courageous act. Also, if Jaylen was really that "down" over one three point shot and some trash talk, I may have to rescind my opinion that he is a star in the making.   

I'll go back and watch again tonight because I'm having a little trouble accepting the fact that a professional athlete, with star potential, was so shaken up over a single shot. Not calling you a liar, I'm just stunned that he would be so sensitive.