Poll

Would you make this trade

Yes, Bradley is likely the odd man out
13 (21.7%)
No.
47 (78.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Poll: Bradley for Julius Randle  (Read 6212 times)

Re: Poll: Bradley for Julius Randle
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not a believer in Randle. He has a lot of work to change his game in order to be successful in the NBA. Right now, he is a bench level player and he has got a long way to go in order to be a starter someday (jump shot, team defense, improving one-on-one D fundamentals). There is potential there but he has loads of work to do to get there. Cost is too high for a player that fundamentally flawed in terms of their style of play (no D, no J, so-so post scorer).

I like the Saric suggestion. That would be decent value for AB. Talented offensive player.

I am still a fan of and a believer in Aaron Gordon. I think he is a top 15 PF in the league right now and can be a top 10 PF down the road. I love his athleticism, defense and rebounding. A team first guy. Good handle and passing for a PF as well. I think he will show more of that in the future as he gets comfortable at PF. Great quickness on both ends. He is another guy I would open to trading AB for.

In terms of centers ....

I love Nurkic. Portland will probably keep him off the table now though. Ditto for Noel and Dallas. WCS is someone I would keep my eye on. Bradley is a high price but if WCS shows enough improvement in the close of the season I may consider it then.

Steven Adams would be a good one. Bradley and Westbrook would be terrific together. They have Oladipo though. Adams for AB would be a fair trade. Unlikely to get fair value especially when trading a small for a big. But that would be a good one if some thing changed in the future that would make OKC consider it.

So I guess WCS is the only option at center currently that makes sense for AB .

Two other ideas ...

(1) A big piece in a larger trade. Say for Jimmy Butler. Bradley + Nets pick + lesser future assets. Or say for a more proven big man like Andre Drummond. Nets 18 pick + Bradley. Something along those lines.

(2) A draft pick = trade Bradley for a future pick. Try to get another potential lottery pick in a few years time. Help reload as Horford / IT age. As Smart, J.Brown and Nets 17 pick become young veterans. Bring a new talented rookie into the fold.

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Randle can't shoot 3s to be a 4 and doesn't defend to be a 5. That is a backup on a good team, possibly a starter on a lottery team. It is not that he can't play, just that he is a tweener, unpopular word.
and he still has those T-Rex arms and that is not going to ever change.  No thanks.

His lack of length is a big limitation on his post scoring. Makes him a "sometimes post scorer" instead of a lethal post scorer. Bigger players can bother his shot too easily.

I do like his defensive potential though despite the short arms. He has very good lateral quickness and excellent physical strength along with solid size (6-8/6-9). With work and more experience, Randle can become a very good one-on-one defender. Kinda like Bass in terms of physique and man-to-man defensive potential.

I also like his quickness on team defense. His lack of length limits him a bit around the basket and in the passing lanes but he can be an effective team defender (rather than an exceptional one) due to his superior quickness. I am worried about his lack of awareness on team defense though. He doesn't read the game well. He doesn't respond quickly. Maybe that can change with hard work and more experience .... or maybe he is just another Amare Stoudemire (defensively speaking).

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Randle can't shoot 3s to be a 4 and doesn't defend to be a 5. That is a backup on a good team, possibly a starter on a lottery team. It is not that he can't play, just that he is a tweener, unpopular word.
and he still has those T-Rex arms and that is not going to ever change.  No thanks.

His lack of length is a big limitation on his post scoring. Makes him a "sometimes post scorer" instead of a lethal post scorer. Bigger players can bother his shot too easily.

I do like his defensive potential though despite the short arms. He has very good lateral quickness and excellent physical strength along with solid size (6-8/6-9). With work and more experience, Randle can become a very good one-on-one defender. Kinda like Bass in terms of physique and man-to-man defensive potential.

I also like his quickness on team defense. His lack of length limits him a bit around the basket and in the passing lanes but he can be an effective team defender (rather than an exceptional one) due to his superior quickness. I am worried about his lack of awareness on team defense though. He doesn't read the game well. He doesn't respond quickly. Maybe that can change with hard work and more experience .... or maybe he is just another Amare Stoudemire (defensively speaking).
Randle strikes me as a cross between Draymond Green and Zach Randolph.  Very strong like Randolph, but more athletic more like Green.  I think if he was in a different system with better players, he would be a true legit star. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Randle is an excellent all around offensive player.  He has very nice hands, solid post moves, and excellent passing skills.  He also has nice touch on his shot, so he theoretically could someday extend his range to the three point line (he is only shooting 0.5 per game, so not exactly a large sample size).  Defensively he needs work, but he isn't nearly as bad as he made out to be in this thread and he has one of the better DRTG on the Lakers.  Their guards are just so bad defensively that it really messes up a guy like Randle on that end because he always has to cover for everyone else.  Put Randle on a better team with players that know how to get Randle the ball when he is in position and can actually hit shots when he passes to them and I could easily see Randle as a 20/10/5 type player.  He has that much potential.  That is why the Lakers would never make this trade (aside from the fact they are loaded with guards and lacking bigs).

You are making me laugh agan Moranis. There have been multiple articles written, and several videos made on how bad he is defensively. Just look them up and eat your words like usual.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see some way over the top comparisons by some here. Randle is more like Leon Powe without the injuries or Maxell.

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
No Magic, we are not taking your average players.

The answer is simple NO.

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thoughts on this

1. I do agree that Bradley will end up being the odd man out. This year the lineup of Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Crowder and Horford has not produced. I think paying all those guys besides Crowder big money just doesn't make sense unless they can produce as a unit.

2. I'm not a Randle fan. I don't trust him to stay healthy. More importantly, our best crunch time lineups often feature Crowder at the 4. Unless you think that Randle can play small ball 5 to end games then you are essentially trading Bradley for a bench guy.

3. Bradley might make the most sense as a draft day trade. Trading him for a pick would create the cap space to sign Hayward to a max, keep Rozier and re-sign Olynyk. That would leave the C's pretty thin in the front court but long term I think it would be a good move

4. Maybe Hayward would feel better about leaving Utah if the Jazz got something back for him. I'd be more than willing to deal Bradley in a sign and trade for Hayward.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
There's a tiny, tiny subset of frontcourt players Randle can start alongside because he's a 6"9 big guy without switchability, rim protection, or three point range.

Al Horford just happens to be in that subset of players, and Randle is both an absurdly good rebounder and a capable passer who would fit into our motion offense. The fit works: he's like a homeless man's version of Blake Griffin.

I don't think he's worth AB on his own, but I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up on the cheap at some point in the future if the opportunity arises.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No, no. no. Stay away from Randle...he's too small to play PF and can't shoot. He's not big enough to play C...no way. He reminds me of Leon Powe...hard worker, maximizes his size and talent but a tweener in a bad way.

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No, no. no. Stay away from Randle...he's too small to play PF and can't shoot. He's not big enough to play C...no way. He reminds me of Leon Powe...hard worker, maximizes his size and talent but a tweener in a bad way.

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Androslav, I Like Sports, obviously I meant the difference between Isaiah's and Avery Bradley's next contracts will be about 7-10 million, not Avery's wages. Sorry for my bad explanation.

BTW, the most highly paid in Spanish ACB is Rudy Fernández, with about 3 million euros per year. Nobody would pay Bradley so much  :o
I missunderstood. Keep getting dem checks Rudy! That is a about of a 7/8mil$ NBA salary.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I wouldn't do the trade.

I keep Bradley as so much offense in the NBA goes through the back court nowadays. Having a "great defender" at guard, to me, has more impact than the NBA "big" of today.

What the Celtics get in return for Bradley will not equal what he is to this team. I understand that he has played big since returning, but he has played "big" for his entire career here. He is who you want on the court when the money is on the line. Smart and Bradley are a "modern NBA defensive backcourt". Why break them up?

Bigs are important? How? Amir Johnson can't jump. KO is a two guard with passing ability, Jerebko is a three point threat and Horford is a placesetter who can hit outside shots. Bill Russell and  Dave Cowens aren't walking through that door...unless they can hit threes. Does Curry "want" to play against Bradley? He beats the spit out of opposing guards and always has.

Great back court players just might be the future and Bradley is a great backcourt player.

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm not a huge Randle fan, but also not a huge AB fan, and Randle is young. I'd make the trade, but I'd rather go after a guy like Dieng. Randle isn't an ideal fit, but any talented big would be a better fit than AB on a team loaded with guards.