Author Topic: The Vertical: Celtics Are "Real Threat" To Sign Gordon Hayward This Summer  (Read 6369 times)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I really think that short of Blake Griffin it is heavily questionable that we should clear full max cap space.

As some have mentioned in this thread already, it leaves us very thin in the front court and it probably means losing one of Smart/AB/IT long term which I would be unhappy about.

The link to Boston is Brad. I'm not so sure that makes a difference on our side. Brad seems like a coach who makes connections with his players, that is happening with the players he has right now. Bradley, Smart, Brown, all guys that Brad gushes about and invests a lot f time in. Don't be shocked if he values his relationship with them highly this summer.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Hayward helps fill a big need on this team (another legit scoring option and someone who can create their own shot).

I don't think the C's need to spend big money or assets on getting a "big" to Boston. They just need serviceable bigs considering their preference is to go small the majority of the time.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I wonder if we can keep any of Jerebko or Amir on an "exception" deal.

Keeping either as a reserve depth option for size would really help.

We'd have Horford, Zizic, then not much next season behind them IF we sign a max-FA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
If Hayward signs here, keep Crowder...he's on a great contract and he can come off the bench.

Unfortunately Bradley will have to go to get that next star.   :-[

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
If we sign hayward somethings gotta give.  Brown deserves the minutes crowder or avery would get. So one of those guys would get shipped out. Probably bradley since crowders contract is so insanely good

Something will give. You'll be trading Bradley or Crowder plus the 18' BKN pick, 18' Celtics 1st round pick for DeAndre Jordan. Doc still deciding if he wants Bradley or Crowder.

Ainge wants in on this draft & has his board setup like this:

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Tatum

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If we sign hayward somethings gotta give.  Brown deserves the minutes crowder or avery would get. So one of those guys would get shipped out. Probably bradley since crowders contract is so insanely good

Something will give. You'll be trading Bradley or Crowder plus the 18' BKN pick, 18' Celtics 1st round pick for DeAndre Jordan. Doc still deciding if he wants Bradley or Crowder.

Ainge wants in on this draft & has his board setup like this:

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Tatum

This is too much for a player with so poor offensive game and zero shot range. I don't think he fits our system a lot, and also we can get a better big with Brooklyn's 2018.

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I hope we land the number #1 and Ball/Fultz go #1 and #2.     We trade the #1 pick for the number #3 or 4 and get a SF/PF   Tatum or Jackson.   Lets hope the asset is a PF or C better than Amir or Zeller.   If not get a later pick....

Let Amir and JJ Walk.   

Do a partial sign and trade with Zeller.  Utah cuts Zeller for a trade exception.   

Resign KO for 4 @ 12 a year (hopes he takes it)
Resign Young 5 million a year for 4 years (last two not guaranteed)

IT, Smart, Rozier (keep him and that contract) Jackson
Bradley, Brown, Young
Hayward, Jae,
Al, ROOKIE, Mickey
Zizzic, KO (Asset from the trade) Or Amir signs a one year for what cap space we have left..... 
Diggles

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Unless Jae is traded ..

Jae has to prove himself this upcoming playoffs

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I hope we land the number #1 and Ball/Fultz go #1 and #2.     We trade the #1 pick for the number #3 or 4 and get a SF/PF   Tatum or Jackson.   Lets hope the asset is a PF or C better than Amir or Zeller.   If not get a later pick....

Let Amir and JJ Walk.   

Do a partial sign and trade with Zeller.  Utah cuts Zeller for a trade exception.   

Resign KO for 4 @ 12 a year (hopes he takes it)
Resign Young 5 million a year for 4 years (last two not guaranteed)

IT, Smart, Rozier (keep him and that contract) Jackson
Bradley, Brown, Young
Hayward, Jae,
Al, ROOKIE, Mickey
Zizzic, KO (Asset from the trade) Or Amir signs a one year for what cap space we have left.....

Trade exceptions don't work like that. If Utah cut Zeller, he'd still count against their cap and you can't trade a cap hit. We'd either have to absorb him using some cap space for them to get an exception.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Unless Jae is traded ..

Jae has to prove himself this upcoming playoffs

To be fair, there are A TON of guys who need to prove themselves.

IT was certainly not horrible last year in the Atlanta series but he has to prove himself as well.

Again, not just Crowder, but a lot of guys. Also, Crowder did play hurt most of that series.

Hopefully everyone is 100% healthy. We saw yesterday and most of this season how well this team is when 100% healthy.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Hayward helps fill a big need on this team (another legit scoring option and someone who can create their own shot).

I don't think the C's need to spend big money or assets on getting a "big" to Boston. They just need serviceable bigs considering their preference is to go small the majority of the time.

But do we play small because our depth at the bigs is so bad?

I'd love to get Griffin, but that's going to be a tough sell if, as reported, he want to stay on the west coast.

If we signed Hayward, we'd have Hayward, Bradley, Brown, Crowder and Smart all trying to get time at the 2 or 3. I suppose we could play Jae as a small-ball 4, but we're still short a couple of spots.

I love Avery Bradley and he's my favorite player, but he does seem to be the odd man out. Question: What could you get for him in a trade, considering he'd be a one-year rental?

Mike

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Too many times in recent years I've gotten my hopes up for Star Player X only to have it not materialize. I'll believe Hayward-to-Boston if and when it happens.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Woj is getting the same feeling I've been getting--that Ainge has Hayward in the bag.

He is quick to say he doesn't think that's why Ainge did nothing at the trade deadline. I disagree there-- I think Ainge's inaction was because he is close to the cap with the numbers for Hayward, and didn't want to complicate the picture with any additions.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly, I would love Hayward on this team.  He is built for Brad's system.  Very familiar because he played for Brad at Butler.  And also he's an extremely talented player and shooter.  Gordon Hayward would be a perfect fit for Boston.  Let's hope we make a splash in free agency this summer!