Author Topic: The Vertical: Celtics Are "Real Threat" To Sign Gordon Hayward This Summer  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://nesn.com/2017/03/nba-rumors-celtics-to-go-hard-after-gordon-hayward-in-free-agency/

Here’s something you haven’t heard before: The Boston Celtics are interested in Gordon Hayward. OK, maybe you have seen the countless reports linking the Utah Jazz star to Boston. But there’s a reason for all the chatter: Hayward seemingly would be a good fit with Celtics, considering his scoring ability from the wing and experience playing for C’s head coach Brad Stevens at Butler.

Hayward will become a free agent this summer, and there are rumors Boston will try to sign the 26-year-old forward. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports’ “The Vertical” stoked those rumors on his latest podcast, which included a discussion of why the Celtics are “looming as a real threat” to land Hayward.

“There’s tremendous pressure on (Utah) right now because Gordon Hayward’s a free agent, and Boston has cap space — and Brad Stevens,” Wojnarowski said on the podcast.

“… This isn’t the reason Boston didn’t make a deal (at the NBA trade deadline), but it is part of their thought: ‘Why would we give up all of our assets for Paul George and Jimmy Butler when we could go out in free agency and sign Gordon Hayward?’ They’re going to go hard after him.”

Per Wojnarowski, a lot depends on how the Jazz fare in this year’s playoffs. If Utah, currently the Western Conference’s No. 4 seed, fails to make a deep playoff run, Hayward might be more inclined to sign elsewhere in free agency, seeing as guard George Hill also will be a free agent in 2017.

“They want to be able to achieve in the postseason and show Gordon, ‘Hey, we’ve got a group here for you that we’re going to win big with,'” Wojnarowski added. “But Boston is in a pretty good position. They’ve got a pretty good situation. They are going to take a shot at him, assuming they don’t do something big at the (NBA) draft.”

Nothing terribly new here, we are interested in Hayward.. Water is wet.. Hurray.

Some interesting points here made by Woj in the podcast, and the parts I bolded above are some big points and factors that could lead to a potential signing this summer. The hope is that Boston at least makes the second round and puts up a great fight while Utah are first round exits.

Also, it makes sense to not overpay for Butler/PG13 when you could draft Fultz/Ball/Jackson + sign Hayward, or do the complicated thing and try to add PG13/Butler + Griffin/Hayward (with obvious trades involved) in the off season. We weren't winning this year with PG13/Butler anyways.

To me, in Free Agency, Blake Griffin is Plan A, and Gordon Hayward is a great Plan B.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we sign hayward somethings gotta give.  Brown deserves the minutes crowder or avery would get. So one of those guys would get shipped out. Probably bradley since crowders contract is so insanely good

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If we sign hayward somethings gotta give.  Brown deserves the minutes crowder or avery would get. So one of those guys would get shipped out. Probably bradley since crowders contract is so insanely good

Likely Avery. He's gonna command at least 18-20 M/Year on his next contract.

Ainge will probably extend IT+Smart. Crowder is on an absolute bargain contract. Very efficient as well.

Hayward is a legit #2 scorer this team needs alongside IT.

Obviously there are other options like Griffin or a big trade for someone else though.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Adding an all star talent at SF makes us sooooo good, 1-4, 6-8.  Who starts at center?

A bench of Smart, Brown, and Crowder!  Who is the bench big?

Really, the 9-player rotation could make a deep push. There are minutes for these guys at least.

Is there a way we can resign KO in a his scenario?  Might be the best option.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I would think if we sign Hayward we are packaging Bradley or Crowder with other assets for Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Like Wyc suggested, the team is looking to add two stars, not just one.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Celtics can keep all of Bradley, Smart and IT and still sign Hayward. I assume that we'll let Jerebko, KO and Amir go if we sign Hayward and fill the rosters with minimum and rookie contracts.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I would think if we sign Hayward we are packaging Bradley or Crowder with other assets for Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Like Wyc suggested, the team is looking to add two stars, not just one.

That will mean A LOT of depth is gone.

What exactly is our front court after that? Horford. Zizic. Then who?

Mickey probably isn't getting re-signed either.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm not sure. We really need another starting caliber big that can fit next to Horford, and I'm just not sure where you can find that.

Unless they're thinking that they'll go small with something like IT, AB/Smart, Crowder, Hayward, Horford, though I think AB is ultimately shopped for a big man upgrade or future picks. That's a pretty ridiculous offensive group that would be extremely difficult to stop, but there's just going to be certain teams that we can't guard due to them being too big.

I'm still kind of curious about a trade revolving around a Bradley for Favors swap in that type of scenario with Hayward playing the two. That's a really, really good team that I think would give every team problems:

PG: IT, Fultz/Ball
SG: Hayward, Smart
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Favors, Yab?
C: Horford, Zizic?

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It doesn't get any more definitive than "real threat."

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I'm not sure. We really need another starting caliber big that can fit next to Horford, and I'm just not sure where you can find that.

How about Tyson Chandler? We have the chips. See what happens with Zizic as a backup.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

How about Tyson Chandler? We have the chips. See what happens with Zizic as a backup.

I'm not sure about a Chandler/Horford pairing defensively.

EDIT: But that being said, I've always wanted Chandler on our team. He fits right in with the character of this team, and he'd certainly help our rim protection and rebounding, along with leadership.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:06:35 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I'm not sure about a Chandler/Horford pairing defensively.

It depends on the matchup, I think, like you said above.

I think the ideal is to have someone who's Ok playing with Horford against bigger lineups, and can play instead of Horford when Crowder is at PF but defense/rebounding are at a premium.

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Bradley, Thomas, Rozier and Crowder for DeMarcus Cousins

Cousins
Horford
Hayward
7Brown
Fultz

Smart

Stacked for now and then.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bradley, Thomas, Rozier and Crowder for DeMarcus Cousins

Cousins
Horford
Hayward
7Brown
Fultz

Smart

Stacked for now and then.
if we wanted Cousins hed be a Celtic today.

move on. The Celtics dont want him and New Orleans isnt trading him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

That will mean A LOT of depth is gone.

What exactly is our front court after that? Horford. Zizic. Then who?

Mickey probably isn't getting re-signed either.
We have a lot of players we need to move. Too many young guys for only 15 roster spots.