Author Topic: Horford is playing tonight  (Read 1293 times)

Horford is playing tonight
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yea!

Re: Horford is playing tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Source for anyone wondering

Quote from: Jay King
Al Horford said he will play tonight.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
couldnt have said it better myself. tp for you.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The spread is 8.5 right now.  Pretty rough odds, but hopefully the boys step up like they did vs. CLE.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Thank goodness its not anything that bad. We can't afford to lose this game or we'll slip at the #3 spot.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm still trying to figure out why is Horford so important to this team when he doesn't put up gaudy numbers. It's very weird but it reminds me of KG.

He just seems to allow every to go play their normal positions. You can run offense through him and he's a great passer. Is it really that simple??

I'm just shocked that it affects the team in such a way that they look like a totally different team. Then when you have him and AB on the court with the team becomes even more efficient. Our best lineup is IT, Smart, AB, Crowder and Horford...very small but the defense is stifling.

Does anyone know why Horford is so critical to this team?

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm still trying to figure out why is Horford so important to this team when he doesn't put up gaudy numbers. It's very weird but it reminds me of KG.

He just seems to allow every to go play their normal positions. You can run offense through him and he's a great passer. Is it really that simple??

I'm just shocked that it affects the team in such a way that they look like a totally different team. Then when you have him and AB on the court with the team becomes even more efficient. Our best lineup is IT, Smart, AB, Crowder and Horford...very small but the defense is stifling.

I am not shocked in the least.  He's one of the best all around players in the NBA.  Defense, passing, blocking shots, even ball-handling.  I am amazed there are thread claiming he is not worth that contract.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Horford is an offensive creator with the pass. The only other guy on the team that can consistently create quality looks for teammates is IT. He also has a high basketball IQ, if you look at where he moves on the court, it always results in him drawing defenders away from his teammates and thus creating better shots for them. Al is one of the best screeners in the game, his screens create shots.

Horford brings shot creation, spacing and great screens to the Celtics he is the motor oil that makes every part of the Celtics machine run more smoothly.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Horford is an offensive creator with the pass. The only other guy on the team that can consistently create quality looks for teammates is IT. He also has a high basketball IQ, if you look at where he moves on the court, it always results in him drawing defenders away from his teammates and thus creating better shots for them. Al is one of the best screeners in the game, his screens create shots.

Horford brings shot creation, spacing and great screens to the Celtics he is the motor oil that makes every part of the Celtics machine run more smoothly.

Yup.  I think if you really sit and watch him you can see how he makes smart plays just constantly.  He also makes great passes like you say but they don't look flashy like your top PGs do so he gets little credit when I think he's clearly been the best big man passer in the league this year (not counting Draymond who is a small ball PF, not an actual big).

Smart has done a good job stepping up but I think Al Horford is the second passer/facilitator on the team behind IT.  He just does it with his back to the basket and sometimes as simple of plays as screen hand offs.  It's a great example that screen setting still matters.

To really appreciate him I think you have to see what he does and other big men don't do.

My only complaint is though I like his facilitator role there are times where he could put his head down and go to the basket.  I think Olynyk shows the kind of thing (he had a beautiful fake hand off to drive and dunk last night) Al could do more in those plays when he fakes hand offs and drives himself.  Al just sometimes gets into "I'm not shooting mode" when he has the ball and if he switched it up more he could keep the defense on its toes and make the team harder to defend.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford