Author Topic: A Small Piece on Yabu from ESPN  (Read 3862 times)

Re: A Small Piece on Yabu from ESPN
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For now I have zero expectations.

He's still the prospective second-rounder we drafted in the first solely because he was willing to be stashed long term until proven otherwise.

You have no idea why he was drafted when he was, nor do I.  Ainge has shown repeatedly that he values players differently than the consensus.  That's far more likely the reason he was drafted where he was.

Yes, and furthermore we have proof that Ainge believed someone else might grab him in the middle of the first round, because we had another pick later in the first round and the first pick in the second round. If no one else wanted Yab until the second round, Ainge would have passed on him at #16 and #22 and taken him at #31.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
For now I have zero expectations.

He's still the prospective second-rounder we drafted in the first solely because he was willing to be stashed long term until proven otherwise.

You have no idea why he was drafted when he was, nor do I.  Ainge has shown repeatedly that he values players differently than the consensus.  That's far more likely the reason he was drafted where he was.

Yes, and furthermore we have proof that Ainge believed someone else might grab him in the middle of the first round, because we had another pick later in the first round and the first pick in the second round. If no one else wanted Yab until the second round, Ainge would have passed on him at #16 and #22 and taken him at #31.

Not necessarily true.  Rookie-scale salary starts at ~1.5m for #16, and only ~1.2m for #22. Because we're in a situation where every penny matters, Ainge may simply have decided that he'd use #22 on someone we could stash for only one year, and #16 on someone we could stash for multiple years, thus leaving more cap space open for the all-important summer of 2017.

Obviously I don't think he would have used #16 on Yabusele if he thought he was completely hopeless, but in my mind it has to have been a combination of "eh, he's okay I guess" and "he will give us 2017 cap space" that went into the pick.

Similar reasoning for Nader, who almost nobody thought would even get drafted. Ainge rated him higher AND knew that he would agree to a domestic stash.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Does anyone know if we can add Yabu to the roster for the playoffs since his rights belong to the Celtics. If he plays for the Red Claws, can they call him up? I need answers. LOL

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Does anyone know if we can add Yabu to the roster for the playoffs since his rights belong to the Celtics. If he plays for the Red Claws, can they call him up? I need answers. LOL

As I understand it, we would lose a full year of control were we to do that. So it is very unlikely.

The team has already said they plan to let him play for the Red Claws, but he is not on our roster. This will help him get ready for summer league, and learn the system. Seems pretty clear that if he plays well enough, Yabs along with Zizic will be on next season's roster.  I have high hopes for the kid. Really like his size, length and athleticism.  I feel the comparisons to Draymon Green are fair, although he has a long way to go to reach that level of play.  Could see him as a 4/5 in a small ball lineup. 

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Cool thanks.

The summer league team should win the entire thing if everyone is still here...the #1 pick, Brown, Zizic, Yabu and Rozier

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Agreed, will be a fun team to watch, with a lot guys likely to make the roster, quite unusual, especially for a team doing as well as ours.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Been waiting for Yabs to come to the Claws, this has been rumored for a couple weeks now.

Gonna get good seats when he does!

He really struggled after the ankle injury last Friday in game 4 of the first round playoffs in China. He suited up for game 5 but was only 3-13 shooting with 5TO, very poor numbers for him.

Hopefully he heals up quickly so he can help the Claws on a playoff run.