Author Topic: A Small Piece on Yabu from ESPN  (Read 3865 times)

A Small Piece on Yabu from ESPN
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Nothing here we don't already know about. Must be slow news day at ESPN. Nice to see Yabu is on people's radar, though and it says the Celtics are still quite high on the kid. I'd say he's a lock for a 2-way D-League contract next season, unless he really blows people away at summer league.

This confirms what we already knew:

Yabusele is currently recovering from a sprained ankle in the CBA playoffs. He will stay in France for some time before reporting to the Celtics, where he will get an evaluation on his injury from the team's doctors, and stay with the Maine Red Claws of the D-League for the rest of the season.

"It will help him learn our system a little bit and get ready for the Summer League," Ainge said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18850442/boston-celtics-guerschon-yabusele-ready-nba-year-china
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: A Small Piece on Yabu from ESPN
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think he makes it to full time on the roster.

If we take a realistic view of the offseason, we re-sign KO and find a way to bring Amir back for cheap. That's 3 rotation bigs that know our system well. Then you replace JJ and Mickey with Zizic and Yab. Yab becomes the 5th big, but I think he finds playing time in games to the detriment of a guy like KO or Amir, certainly as the season goes on.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
he can't sign a two way contract because he was drafting in the first round of the draft.  He is already going to be set into specific contract spot.  Only players that are in the d-league or second round players like nader that didn't get signed or undrafted rookies are whom the two-way contracts where designed.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Bit concerning that he is only averaging 1.2 more rebounds per game than Jimmer Fredette.

We need help with rebounding! Who knows what KO would average in China though..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bit concerning that he is only averaging 1.2 more rebounds per game than Jimmer Fredette.

I think he'd average 4 awkward falls a game.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is project folks a work in progress but shows some potential.  I don't think it is as great as some others in this thread.   I think Ainge was hoping for Draymond Green Type, which he is not.   We could use some muscle though.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:53:01 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
For now I have zero expectations.

He's still the prospective second-rounder we drafted in the first solely because he was willing to be stashed long term until proven otherwise.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

He's still the prospective second-rounder we drafted in the first solely because he was willing to be stashed long term until proven otherwise.

Yup, I have zero exceptations from him. My best guess is that he has a nice long comfortable career in france. (I wish I would´ve had that kinda career lol)

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I wouldn't worry because in Chinese basketball guards are also required to crash the boards and bigs are supposed to box out for them
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:54 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yabusele is fat free Sullinger.
I wish we had him now.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I wish we had him now.

Yabu is not nearly as talented as Sully.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

he was actually projected for the first round -- just not as high as Danny selected him. 

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I wish we had him now.

Yabu is not nearly as talented as Sully.

Not sure you are being sarcastic. If not, you are wrong, Yabu considerably more athletic, and much better 3 point shooter. 

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

You have no idea why he was drafted when he was, nor do I.  Ainge has shown repeatedly that he values players differently than the consensus.  That's far more likely the reason he was drafted where he was.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

You have no idea why he was drafted when he was, nor do I.  Ainge has shown repeatedly that he values players differently than the consensus.  That's far more likely the reason he was drafted where he was.

On the contrary, I think you're underestimating Ainge if you think that he didn't at least consider the idea that a multiyear stash would allow us to defer about 1.5m in salary for multiple years. That 1.5m could be the difference between us signing a max FA or not this summer.

I don't doubt that he rated Yabusele higher than the consensus, but I highly doubt that he was picked solely because Ainge thought he was the 17th best player on the board.

Great words from a great man