Poll

Would you trade the #1 to PHI for #2 and #4 (LAL)?

Yes
29 (72.5%)
No
9 (22.5%)
Only if ... explain
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Trading out of #1 position  (Read 4581 times)

Re: Trading out of #1 position
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Depends on which guy they want. If you want Ball but they want Fultz you obviously do it bc it's like getting the #4 pick for free.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Philly (in fact, nobody) would never offer this deal. If they do, I think it's very tempting.

However, it would make our front office think about the global plan with the team. We'd have Smart, Jaylen, Zizic and other two very promising players. That's too much youth, too many pieces along with veterans IT, Bradley, Crowder and Horford and with the 2018 Nets' very high pick on the horizon.

A very difficult situation. Suppose we take Jackson and Isaac. Depth chart, with no trades or big free agent additions and we resign Kelly (if we add Hayward, Millsap or Griffin things get even more difficult or easier, depending on thoughts). Suppose we rennounce Jerebko, Demetrius, Mickey and James Young.

Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Bradley/Jaylen/Free agent such as Gerald Green
Crowder/Jackson/Nader
Olynyk?? Amir for the minimum?? Good free agent??/Isaac/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic/Minnesota's 2nd round

Too many players getting minutes, so maybe a trade using one of our guards and picks must be looked after. The situation entering this summer, even with just a top pick and not two as this thread suggests, is very difficult to optimize.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Just make the pick and take the best player

That's what I've been saying for months. 
this is pretty much my thinking, particularly with so many young players on the roster but one thing has occurred to me after seeing some commentary in other discussions about the draft
--> suppose Danny is going with IT as the main guy on this team and will give him the big contract (not saying I support or reject this idea, just putting it out there for the moment) and he's not looking to bring in Fultz or Ball but like this kid Jackson who's regarded as the probable number 3 prospect in the draft.
- if Philly was dying for Fultz and was willing to offer 2+4 to get him (would have to be a situation where Danny made the #1 pick up for auction to the highest bidder and Philly had to worry about someone else grabbing Fultz rather than waiting for the C's to pass on him for Jackson with the #1) why not make that deal if Jackson really is their guy?  Get Jackson with #2 and another top prospect at #4.

sure, that's a lot of youth on the roster next year:  Smart, Rozier, Brown, Zizic (probable), Yabu (probable), Jackson and #4 (probably Isaac or Monk).  that's figuring Demetrius Jackson's gone and Nader is let go (never mind seeing the second rounders this year go to waste essentially).  There's also 2 first rounders in the following draft to add to that bunch (plus other seconds).

A lot of youth, but a solid base from which we should become a strong team for a decade (one would hope).  The key for next year would be getting better players to replace Amir and JJ (the vets I would anticipate being let go) and keeping KO on a team-friendly deal even if for just a year until Danny can do something to bring in a better big man the following year. 

It probably kicks the championship can down the road for another year but the team would probably be in a better position for a very long time --> also would presume that if IT is the one getting the big contract, AB is traded for a big man that can hopefully start in Amir's place.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:52:13 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I don't think the 76ers would trade both their pick and the lakers pick (if they get it) but I would be on board for trading the #1 or #2 pick in exchange for their pick and Dario Saric. Saric fits the Celtics system to a tee, and may become expendable for the sixes when Ben Simmons returns. I would then like the Celtics try to draft Tatum with the 76'ers pick.

BTW, I think Fultz would be a much better option for the Sixers because he's better at playing off the ball. That is important since Simmons will probably be the primary ball handler at point forward.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Of course but you'll never get the 2 and 4 for 1. Fultz is not Lebron James.
And if he were, picks 2-10 wouldn't be enough to trade #1.  It's an interesting question which I suppose depends on how good people think Fultz will be.  I think he's pretty good and clearly the #1 option.  But yeah, he may not be worth the #2 and #4.  But it might be closer that some think.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Philly (in fact, nobody) would never offer this deal. If they do, I think it's very tempting.

However, it would make our front office think about the global plan with the team. We'd have Smart, Jaylen, Zizic and other two very promising players. That's too much youth, too many pieces along with veterans IT, Bradley, Crowder and Horford and with the 2018 Nets' very high pick on the horizon.

A very difficult situation. Suppose we take Jackson and Isaac. Depth chart, with no trades or big free agent additions and we resign Kelly (if we add Hayward, Millsap or Griffin things get even more difficult or easier, depending on thoughts). Suppose we rennounce Jerebko, Demetrius, Mickey and James Young.

Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Crowder/Jackson/Nader

Too many players getting minutes, so maybe a trade using one of our guards and picks must be looked after. The situation entering this summer, even with just a top pick and not two as this thread suggests, is very difficult to optimize.
Nader is likely gone.  second rounders likely stashed overseas or just released or traded (like what happened this year). 
Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Bradley/Jaylen
Crowder/Jackson
Olynyk/Veteran FA/Isaac/Yabusele
Horford/Veteran FA/Zizic

That's strong rotation of PG, SG & SF.  Likely sign a couple of vet FA 4/5s.  Would like to see them move on from Amir-->at this stage he's an ok 4th big off the bench for 12-15 minutes a game but if we have KO, we need someone better on the boards to be on the floor with him.  not sure who's out there as a solid pick up for us. 

If we signed Hayward does that allow us to move AB and/or Crowder in a deal to bring in someone to fill out our front court?  Does that #4 pick become a big attraction for some other team to make a deal to get us a player to shore up our front court? 

There's some options there.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Don't trade a top 3 pick unless you're getting back a perennial All star in his prime on a long term contract.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Crowder/Jackson/Nader

Nader is likely gone.  second rounders likely stashed overseas or just released or traded (like what happened this year). 
Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Bradley/Jaylen
Crowder/Jackson
Olynyk/Veteran FA/Isaac/Yabusele
Horford/Veteran FA/Zizic

That's strong rotation of PG, SG & SF.  Likely sign a couple of vet FA 4/5s.  Would like to see them move on from Amir-->at this stage he's an ok 4th big off the bench for 12-15 minutes a game but if we have KO, we need someone better on the boards to be on the floor with him.  not sure who's out there as a solid pick up for us. 

If we signed Hayward does that allow us to move AB and/or Crowder in a deal to bring in someone to fill out our front court?  Does that #4 pick become a big attraction for some other team to make a deal to get us a player to shore up our front court? 

There's some options there.

Yes, generally agree except with Nader, which may be a good candidate to get signed and play with Maine (like this year) but with an NBA contract, maybe the new two-way signings.

And of course, our draft position, the offers for the pick and our capacity to get into big free agents will determine how to follow these steps. The possibilities are almost unlimited.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Thomas/Smart/Rozier
Crowder/Jackson/Nader

That 4 position is uninspiring.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

What if it's #3 and #6?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

What if it's #3 and #6?

A tougher decision would be trading the #1 for the #3 and #4.  Or #1 for #3 and #5?

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I'm honestly thinking we should just draft the BPA. The rotations can figure themselves out later. Obviously, there's a talent gap that needs to addressed but going for these tight 3 to 4 year championship windows with no KG walking through that door would be foolish. LeBron James isn't trading himself to Boston for that #1 pick...

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

What if it's #3 and #6?

A tougher decision would be trading the #1 for the #3 and #4.  Or #1 for #3 and #5?

Trading 1 for 3 and 4,5 or 6 is something I absolutely do.  You still get one of Fultz, Ball or Jacksnon, and another top lottery pick.