Poll

Would you trade the #1 to PHI for #2 and #4 (LAL)?

Yes
29 (72.5%)
No
9 (22.5%)
Only if ... explain
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Trading out of #1 position  (Read 4575 times)

Trading out of #1 position
« on: March 07, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
For discussion purposes, the 76ers love and must have Ball or Fultz and want to make sure they get him.  Would you trade out of the #1 for the #2 and #4 assuming that the 76ers have those 2 picks.

Re: Trading out of #1 position
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I selected "only if..." but the more I think about it, the more I think it's just a smart deal if such a thing were on the table, given how the top 2 picks are talked about.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Of course but you'll never get the 2 and 4 for 1. Fultz is not Lebron James.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Yes, because I'd rather have either Ball or Jackson over Fultz.  But as others pointed out, it's not happening.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If the Sixers had #2 and #4, and wanted either Fultz or Ball (my assumption is Fultz) so much more than the other that they'd also give up #4, that'd really say something to me about how much better Fultz is than everyone else.

I think the slightly more interesting scenario is suppose the Sixers wind up with their best pick at #4.  How much would they have to add to go from #4 to #1?

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
If the Sixers had #2 and #4, and wanted either Fultz or Ball (my assumption is Fultz) so much more than the other that they'd also give up #4, that'd really say something to me about how much better Fultz is than everyone else.

I think the slightly more interesting scenario is suppose the Sixers wind up with their best pick at #4.  How much would they have to add to go from #4 to #1?

That would tell you how much the Sixers value Fultz, but others may value him differently.  We won't know how good he is until he plays in the NBA for awhile.

Going from 4 to 1 would have to include a good deal of value, imo.  I see a big drop off after the top 3.  I'd do it for Embiid.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That would tell you how much the Sixers value Fultz, but others may value him differently.  We won't know how good he is until he plays in the NBA for awhile.

Going from 4 to 1 would have to include a good deal of value, imo.  I see a big drop off after the top 3.  I'd do it for Embiid.  ;D

If the #1 pick could command #2 and #4, I'm fairly certain the difference in quality of players would be evident to virtually all qualified talent evaluators, especially considering both players are at the same position.  NBA teams (with the possible exception of the Kings) aren't that irrational.  They employ multiple scouts and evaluators -- if the gap is that big for a team, it means it's unanimous for the 8-10 people involved, and it's much more likely that other teams will have a unanimous or near-unanimous opinion that agrees.  Except the Kings, where the owner decides.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
honestly this is a silly question.  As close as Fultz and Ball are in most rankings, there's no way any team would be that stupid to offer the 2nd and 4th picks.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would but Philly would never do this and it is magical thinking.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just make the pick and take the best player

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

If the #1 pick could command #2 and #4, I'm fairly certain the difference in quality of players would be evident to virtually all qualified talent evaluators, especially considering both players are at the same position.  NBA teams (with the possible exception of the Kings) aren't that irrational.  They employ multiple scouts and evaluators -- if the gap is that big for a team, it means it's unanimous for the 8-10 people involved, and it's much more likely that other teams will have a unanimous or near-unanimous opinion that agrees.  Except the Kings, where the owner decides.

I don't know. Given how often draft picks are total busts, you'd have to think there is a great deal of uncertainty in prospect ranking, and I would think thus a wide variety of opinion.  With DA in particular, picks like Brown, Rozier and Yabusele would suggest he values players differently than the consensus and isn't afraid to act on his own valuations.

Interesting question, we may never really know the answer.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just make the pick and take the best player

That's what I've been saying for months. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If we get the #3 pick, do you trade it to Sacramento for #6 and #8?

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Metro Boston has an interesting take on it:

Celtics boss Danny Ainge typically goes with the best available player on draft day, not thinking about being overstocked at one particular position. But Ainge's "best available" is often different than the consensus "best available," particularly when we're still over three months out from selection day.

Those close to Ainge swear that he would have taken Kevin Durant over Greg Oden in 2007 had the Celtics got lucky with the ping-pong balls, despite the consensus being that Oden was the better player. Many were calling for Ainge to pick Julius Randle or Noah Vonleh over Marcus Smart at No. 6 in the 2014 Draft and for him to pick Kris Dunn or Buddy Hield over Jaylen Brown in last year's draft. In other words, Ainge p---es off people like me who make up these mock drafts every year. He rarely ever matches up his actual picks with the pre-draft consensus.

This year, Markelle Fultz has emerged as the consensus No. 1, so if the Celtics do land the No. 1 overall pick - it'll be a no-brainer for Ainge, right? Ehhh ... maybe not. It's entirely possible that Ainge likes Lonzo Ball or Josh Jackson over Fultz and sees something the rest of us don't.

Maybe the Celtics try to work out a Chris Webber - Penny Hardaway-like trade at the top of the draft to try and land Ball or Jackson at No. 2 or 3 if they're not head-over-heels in love with Fultz.

Ainge has said (if you believe what he says to the media) that he thinks the 2017 draft is extremely deep. Maybe he trades back to pick No. 8 or 9, and tries to pick up a win-now piece in the process.

Their mock has Danny taking Jackson at 1.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Jackson was just suspended over a traffic accident for KU's first Big 12 tournament game.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."